Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 954220 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #735 on: November 28, 2010, 06:10:03 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
the kids are alright (not a who song though), actually great movie but oddly enough about a lesbian relationship that had really racing male/female scenes

good time max (?) late night sundance channel, james franco, very good

« Reply #736 on: November 28, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I hadn't watched a movie in about a month... so I'm going on my third night straight of watching one.

Two nights ago I watched 'Get Him to the Greek'. It was a good unexpected sequel to 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall'. I was entertained for the entire movie but there weren't a ton of memorable quotes, which is one of my favorite things about comedies. I would probably give it a 7/10.

Last night I watched 'The Book of Eli'. This was a pretty good movie. It was another one that wasn't particularly memorable. I still think 'The Road' is the best post apocalyptic film. The two movies had a lot of similarities. 'The Book of Eli' wasn't as grim. Actually, by the the end of 'The Book of Eli' it seemed to me like everything was going to be just fine. It also receives a 7/10 from me.

Now, I am about to watch Gus Van Sant's 'Elephant'. I'll get back to you all later with a quick review.

« Reply #737 on: November 28, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I liked "Get him to the Greek" more when it was called " my Favorite Year".

« Reply #738 on: November 28, 2010, 07:13:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The September Issue
Documentary of Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue.  I thought it was quite good despite the facts that (a) I don't normally go for documentaries and (b) I am a guy who prefers Quentin Tarantino type movies.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #739 on: November 28, 2010, 07:51:03 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18

Now, I am about to watch Gus Van Sant's 'Elephant'. I'll get back to you all later with a quick review.

Very good flick...

Just watched the new Wallstreet... 5/10

« Reply #740 on: November 28, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One, so good.

« Reply #741 on: November 28, 2010, 09:00:01 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Elephant 9/10

Very good, extremely powerful... some confusing decisions as far as direction... the whole "Benny" scene just kind of threw me off. Anybody who's seen the movie would probably understand my confusion there. I may have to look into it more, there may be a metaphorical reason for that scene that I am unaware of at the moment.

The movie was shot beautifully. Very long, exaggerated, detailed scenes... fairly good character development, except for Benny, which is impressive considering the events take place in one day. Van Sant did a terrific job of capturing a high school in a realistic way... although my high school wasn't nearly as clicky.

For anybody who has no idea what I'm talking about I should probably let you know. 'Elephant' is basically a reenactment of the horrible event that took place at Columbine High School in Colorado in '99. It was a good, meaningful film. I'm surprised it either never received much attention or I just didn't notice it (It was released in 2003).

« Reply #742 on: December 15, 2010, 12:59:41 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Can't believe they filmed a re-make of "True Grit" ... one thing you NEVER do, and that's try to one-up the Duke! Jeff Bridges in a John Wayne role?!? Please, say it isn't so! I'm as much for good re-makes as the next guy, but this is sacrosanct!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #743 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Can't believe they filmed a re-make of "True Grit" ... one thing you NEVER do, and that's try to one-up the Duke! Jeff Bridges in a John Wayne role?!? Please, say it isn't so! I'm as much for good re-makes as the next guy, but this is sacrosanct!

We have a difference in opinion on this one...

As a 21 year old, I have never seen the original True Grit, and I know none of my friends have either. I like westerns and I like old films. I love Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood's spaghetti western trilogy. For some reason, I have never seen a John Wayne film... not one. Seeing this new version of True Grit, which they are not labeling as a "re-make", is only going to make me want to see the original (And I'm sure many others like me will want to see it as well). I think if any modern directors are going to try to "remake" a western classic, it should be the Coen brothers. I have complete faith in them after seeing what they did with the modern-western feeling, No Country For Old Men. I think Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin, and Matt Damon is a terrific ensemble cast of guys who can act their part. Matt Damon isn't as gritty as the others but we'll see. I can't wait to see it. I think it looks awesome judging by the trailers.

Anyway, after 3 days of watching it in segments, I finished Downfall today. I've been studying for finals, and watching the movie with my mom who has a very short attention span... that's why it took 3 days. My mom actually loved the movie, she just doesn't like reading subtitles for extended periods of time. Downfall is a 2004 German film about the final days of Hitler's life and overall the Third Reich. The performances were excellent all around. It seemed like it was going to be very slow at the start but the last hour of the movie was excellent. It was interesting to get a German perspective on WWII. I gave the film a 9 out of 10 on IMDB.com... it is definitely worth a look if you're interested in WWII, war movies, or foreign movies.

« Reply #744 on: December 15, 2010, 01:48:01 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Anyway, after 3 days of watching it in segments, I finished Downfall today.

TP!!  A very good movie indeed...
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #745 on: December 15, 2010, 02:01:43 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

We have a difference in opinion on this one...

As a 21 year old, I have never seen the original True Grit, and I know none of my friends have either. I like westerns and I like old films. I love Sergio Leone and Clint Eastwood's spaghetti western trilogy. For some reason, I have never seen a John Wayne film... not one. Seeing this new version of True Grit, which they are not labeling as a "re-make", is only going to make me want to see the original (And I'm sure many others like me will want to see it as well). I think if any modern directors are going to try to "remake" a western classic, it should be the Coen brothers. I have complete faith in them after seeing what they did with the modern-western feeling, No Country For Old Men. I think Jeff Bridges, Josh Brolin, and Matt Damon is a terrific ensemble cast of guys who can act their part. Matt Damon isn't as gritty as the others but we'll see. I can't wait to see it. I think it looks awesome judging by the trailers.

Anyway, after 3 days of watching it in segments, I finished Downfall today. I've been studying for finals, and watching the movie with my mom who has a very short attention span... that's why it took 3 days. My mom actually loved the movie, she just doesn't like reading subtitles for extended periods of time. Downfall is a 2004 German film about the final days of Hitler's life and overall the Third Reich. The performances were excellent all around. It seemed like it was going to be very slow at the start but the last hour of the movie was excellent. It was interesting to get a German perspective on WWII. I gave the film a 9 out of 10 on IMDB.com... it is definitely worth a look if you're interested in WWII, war movies, or foreign movies.

"True Grit" is one of the best and most-loved of John Wayne movies, (directed by Henry Hathaway, produced by Hal Wallis), and he defines the American Western for people like me. This is on the same level as remaking a Sergio Leone would be, or "It's A Wonderful Life", etc. Sorry, but I just don't agree with messing with perfection, and there should be certain classics that are off-limits ... this would be one of those for me, (but it's all personal opinion, and to each his own).  
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #746 on: December 15, 2010, 05:57:52 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I agree with Bahku on this one...there are some things that are just sacrosanct.  John Wayne movies,  Spencer Tracy movies,  "Citizen Kane" and "The Wizard of Oz" are among them.    They can make them over, but they can't make them better. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #747 on: December 17, 2010, 06:47:06 AM »

Offline terrence207

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
I recently watched  Harry Potter...I like harry potter movies...I saw all part but this part is best of all parts....

« Reply #748 on: December 17, 2010, 07:40:20 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I thought this was the best place to post this.  I'll be heading over to catch Tron this morning 9 am est.  I'll give you my impression and whether it's any good.  I suspect it won't be but, who knows maybe I'll be surprised.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #749 on: December 17, 2010, 07:42:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Haven't finished the last 30 minutes.  It's lonnnggggggggggg.

Actually better than I thought it would be, which isn't saying much.
Yup