Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 956096 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #675 on: September 17, 2010, 01:39:13 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Kung Pow: Enter the Fist...

...was 85 minutes of my life I will never have back.  This was total garbage, I hesitate to even call it a real movie.

Haha Kung Pow is definitely a devisive movie.  I love it, as do some of my friends.  But I've suggested it to others and they end up thinking I'm brain damaged for liking it.

Yeah, it would have been totally fine as a 5 or 10 minute bit on SNL or Comedy Central or something.  Unfortunately, they stretched it out to a full-length movie with one running gag.

Anyway, new movie:

I saw Whip It over the weekend (yeah, the Ellen Page roller derby flick), and it was pretty good.  I would give it a 6/10...the cast is very good and pretty funny.

Got brought down a few points, though, for using the cliched, cookie-cutter plot:  OMG her best friend is mad at her!!!  OMG the peagant and the roller derby championship are on the same day!!! Whatever will she do???

The cast tried their best to overcome it, and it was Drew Barrymore's directorial debut I think, so I can understand why she tried to play it safe.  Could have been better with a more original plot.

Finally, I am beyond fired up for the October release of Apocalypse Now on Blu-Ray...been waiting years for this one!!!

« Reply #676 on: September 17, 2010, 01:40:12 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 9/10
A very good movie... a couple minor plot holes. Really good acting. A great foreign film, I can't believe they're already doing Hollywood remakes of the trilogy, I also can't believe they remade Let the Right One In.

I can perhaps offer some insight in terms of why they are making Hollywood remakes of the "Millenium Trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo") already.

The adaption, which I believe you've seen, was the only of the three books, that were invested heavily in. The director, Niels Arden Oplev, only directed the first of the three movies, while the others were on a much smaller budget, at least in terms of director and writers. They were aimed as direct to DVD releases, but at least were in the cinemas here in Denmark, due to the heavy success of both the first release, as well as the books - but quite frankly, they weren't anywere near "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". They were good, but definitely not great! It wouldn't make much sense to release those to a 'non' Scandinavian market.

There's no doubt about there's a huge potential with the Millenium series adapted, I just hope Hollywood won't ruin it (which I'm almost completely convinced 'they' will). According to New York Times David Fincher is set to direct it, so perhaps there's some hope!

David Fincher certainly does give me a little bit of hope... I never knew that about the second two movies, thanks for the information.

Any info on why they remade Let the Right One In to "Let Me In"? Let the Right One In, although not perfect was just as good of a vampire movie as you can get. I really don't see the logic in remaking that like 3 or 4 years after the original.

« Reply #677 on: September 18, 2010, 01:03:23 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
A Single Man 7/10
Good acting, extremely anticlimactic... I felt like nothing happened, the ending was too ironic. First half of the movie had an interesting tone with good acting all around.

Agreed.  I thought that it was beautifully shot, and the acting was good, but it was just too boring.

« Reply #678 on: September 19, 2010, 03:12:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I just watched Prince of Persia. I excepted to be disappointed.

I also watched "Knight And Day", and I expected to be amused by a movie big on laughs and action and short on quality.

I was completely wrong.

I actually really liked Prince Of Persia, and I didn't even finish KNight and Day.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #679 on: September 19, 2010, 03:25:14 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I just watched Prince of Persia. I excepted to be disappointed.

I also watched "Knight And Day", and I expected to be amused by a movie big on laughs and action and short on quality.

I was completely wrong.

I actually really liked Prince Of Persia, and I didn't even finish KNight and Day.

cars

p.s.z
z

p.s.2 see yourn pic thread i know u know waht i am talking bout
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #680 on: September 19, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
The Town.

Best Boston Movie ever.

Shot all over Charlestown, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, Cambridge & East Boston.

Just awesome.

The Car chase and shoot out in Beacon Hill is amazing--it was shot around the corner from my apt, and I walk throught hose neighborhoods all the time

« Reply #681 on: September 19, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »

Offline mzepol

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 56
The Professional 10/10
Really good acting, really good story... If you haven't seen it you should. A very interesting/original story.

Leon: The Professional? Starring Jean Reno and Natalie Portman? One of my all-time favorites. TP.

« Reply #682 on: September 19, 2010, 01:54:20 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
The Professional 10/10
Really good acting, really good story... If you haven't seen it you should. A very interesting/original story.

Leon: The Professional? Starring Jean Reno and Natalie Portman? One of my all-time favorites. TP.

You bet, excellent film.
TP returned!

« Reply #683 on: September 19, 2010, 02:08:16 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
"The World at War" (1973)

^an old World War II documentary. You can find it in sections on youtube.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #684 on: September 19, 2010, 07:03:56 PM »

Offline Shots

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 39
Any info on why they remade Let the Right One In to "Let Me In"? Let the Right One In, although not perfect was just as good of a vampire movie as you can get. I really don't see the logic in remaking that like 3 or 4 years after the original.

Nope - I don't. My answer would be 'the obvious'; There's not a lot of Americans (or Europeans for that matter), who'd go to the cinema to watch a Swedish movie. It's all about the $/€/£.

« Reply #685 on: September 19, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Nope - I don't. My answer would be 'the obvious'; There's not a lot of Americans (or Europeans for that matter), who'd go to the cinema to watch a Swedish movie. It's all about the $/€/£.
I loved the original, but many people don't like subtitles.

« Reply #686 on: September 19, 2010, 07:41:20 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I just watched God Grew Tired of Us. Powerful documentary. Very touching.

« Reply #687 on: September 19, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Get Low

excellent acting by Robert Duvall, Bill Murray and Sissy Spacek

I was wanting to go see this the past weekend but they pulled it from the only theater in the areas that was playing it. I absolutely love Robert Duvall. I'm glad it was good.

I assume that you have seen Second Hand Lions? One of the better movies out there that you can have your kids watch as well.

Just went and saw Get Low this weekend. Very good show. Wife thought it was a comedy going in,  but wasn't by any stretch. Duvall is just amazing. Got to have some nominations out of this one.

« Reply #688 on: September 19, 2010, 08:00:34 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I just watched God Grew Tired of Us. Powerful documentary. Very touching.

Incredible movie ... everyone should watch it, (along with "The Cove").
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #689 on: September 20, 2010, 06:01:27 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
aside from watching a bunch of 70s kung fu flix, i watched the crazies and shutter island the last couple days.  both were "ok" imo.