Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 956743 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #585 on: July 11, 2010, 10:33:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
i saw last airbender today.  i watch the show so i was skeptical if i would like it bc it has been said if you watch the show, u dont like the movie, but if you dont watch the show u enjoy the film.  im looking forward to the next two.

I saw awful reviews across the board. I saw awful reviews of "Push" though too, and I liked that. You think its worth it if I don't know item 1 about the show?

I was also thinking about watching the anime movies on netflix. they're streaming.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #586 on: July 13, 2010, 11:52:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I saw "the Invention of Lying"

I enjoyed it.  Wasn't great but I laughed.

« Reply #587 on: July 17, 2010, 09:44:54 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The Watchmen.

I read the book/graphic novel/comic book series about 18 months ago (on a suggestion from someone here on CB, no less!), and have been waiting to see the movie.

My wife and I finally got it via Netflix and watched it last night.  I liked it better than I thought I would.  But glad I used Netflix, instead of paying $$$ at the theater (in fairness, I would say that about most movies).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #588 on: July 17, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

**** (Out of 4)

This film was astounding. I went in to the theater with extremely high expectations after following this film for the better part of two years. I consider Christopher Nolan to be one of the best living directors out there. Memento is on my short list of roughly 30 movies that I have deemed "perfect". The Prestige had me interested in magic for weeks afterward, and it continues to have that affect after each viewing. Insomnia was an excellent crime thriller although not quite as BIG as Nolan's other films. The Dark Knight pulled off a miracle by getting me interested in a superhero movie. As a child I was never in the least bit interested in superheroes. I never picked up a comic. I never watched previous superhero movies. The Spiderman, X-Men, etc. hype never caught me.

Inception joins Memento on that short list of top notch movies. With that being said, I still will need to view this movie a couple more times in order to get a full grasp on the plot. The movie starts off very confusing as Nolan chooses to cut back and forth within the story much like he did with Memento. Eventually the audience starts to get a grasp of what exactly is going on. Then there was about 45 minutes of full understanding before the ending which was also a bit confusing... I wouldn't say it was confusing. It was just an ambiguous ending a lot like Shutter Island that has evidence supporting two different views of the entire movie.

Hans Zimmer composed a score for this film comparable to the greatness of his "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "Last Samurai" scores. The music went along perfectly with the film and succeeded in setting the tone for each scene. With that being said I don't think I could listen to it alone in the car like I can with my favorite film scores like Slumdog Millionaire, The Assassination of Jesse James, Atonement, etc.

The acting was excellent as I expected it to be. With a cast boasting the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Ken Watanabe, and Michael Caine you can't expect anything other than brilliance. Ellen Page stepped up for me as well, she was a terrific character to the story and I can't imagine anybody playing the part better than she did. Cillian Murphy and Tom Hardy were brilliant. I had never heard of either of them before seeing Inception, but I am excited to see more from them in the future.

As far as the plot goes, I do not want to give away too much. It was an extremely complex movie similar to a David Lynch movie, Memento, Eyes Wide Shut, etc. The film is about dreams and the way that it is filmed, in its entirety, is similar to the structure of a dream. Dom Cobb, played by Leonardo DiCaprio, enters the minds of others through group dreaming in order to steal their ideas. Of course dreams are not always simple. We have lucid dreams, nightmares, multi-layered dreams, etc. Our minds are extremely complicated as is this film. Again I don't want to give away too much about this plot. 1 because I don't want to spoil it. 2 because I need more viewings to fully understand it.

See this film if you are a Nolan fan, an action fan, a DiCaprio fan, a psychological thriller fan, etc. One trailer for this movie says that it is The Matrix meets James Bond. I believe that is an accurate description for what exactly the genre of this movie would be. In order to also bring the plot, acting, and sheer greatness into play you can say it is The Matrix meets Bond, meets Memento, meets Shutter Island, meets the Dark Knight. I would prefer to just say that the movie is Inception and with all of the similarities it has to other films, I found it to be completely original.

« Reply #589 on: July 17, 2010, 09:53:54 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I saw Inception.  I really enjoyed it, because it's unique, and Hollywood doesn't make enough unique movies.  There are individual scenes that are hard to follow on a first viewing, as the storyline has multiple layers.  The overall movie is easy enough to follow, though, and some of the visuals are amazing.  The only criticism I have is that some of the action sequences go on for a little too long; it's almost like the intellectual scenes are fascinating, but the action becomes boring in spots.

I think this is one that I'll appreciate even more after watching it multiple times. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #590 on: July 17, 2010, 10:18:45 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
After these last two reviews of Inception, it will be on my radar in the near future.

« Reply #591 on: July 18, 2010, 07:14:12 PM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
The Matrix meets Bond, meets Memento, meets Shutter Island, meets the Dark Knight. I would prefer to just say that the movie is Inception and with all of the similarities it has to other films, I found it to be completely original.

Yup tp
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #592 on: July 18, 2010, 07:58:48 PM »

Offline Green Man

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Just bought 8 movies from blockbuster in my area going out of business:

1.) The Road
2.) Pirate Radio
3.) Up in the Air
4.) Eastern Promises
5.) Frost/Nixon
6.) Blood Diamond
7.) Five Minutes of Heaven
8.) Children of Men

Pretty good deal as they were all 4 bucks each.

Anyways just watched "Vanilla Sky" for the first time, had bought it a while ago and had been putting it off. It was nothing like I thought it would be, and that's in a good way. It was tremendous. Don't really know why everyone I have talked too and critics hate the movie so much. Probably all those Tom Cruise haters.

The whole concept of the film is amazing, even though it is a remake of a Spanish film. It's such an emotional movie. It's a very dark movie, but it's presented in very effective intellectual/psychological manner dealing with perception and what's real or not.

The whole dream thing was really amazing and I knew I had to watch it now before I saw Inception, because I've heard of similarities between the two. And it also has a killer soundtrack that fits the mood of the movie perfectly. Probably Cruise's best movie in my opinion.

It is instantly one of my top movies of all time. Multiple viewings are required to understand it all better.

« Reply #593 on: July 18, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Anyways just watched "Vanilla Sky" for the first time, had bought it a while ago and had been putting it off. It was nothing like I thought it would be, and that's in a good way. It was tremendous. Don't really know why everyone I have talked too and critics hate the movie so much. Probably all those Tom Cruise haters.

The whole concept of the film is amazing, even though it is a remake of a Spanish film. It's such an emotional movie. It's a very dark movie, but it's presented in very effective intellectual/psychological manner dealing with perception and what's real or not.

The whole dream thing was really amazing and I knew I had to watch it now before I saw Inception, because I've heard of similarities between the two. And it also has a killer soundtrack that fits the mood of the movie perfectly. Probably Cruise's best movie in my opinion.

It is instantly one of my top movies of all time. Multiple viewings are required to understand it all better.
TP. Vanilla Sky is one of my favorite films. With every new viewing, you'll discover little new things that you haven't paid attention for before as the movie contains these little clues about the dream thing. Also, watch it with director's commentary (if you have the original DVD). Crowe tells there many very interseting facts about the movie. And yes, the soundtrack is simply amazing.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #594 on: July 18, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
I download and burn all of my movies so I haven't seen Inception yet since it's not out on the internet. I want to see it BADLY because of the rave reviews it's gotten. I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last night for the second time. It's definitely in my top 5 movies of all time.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #595 on: July 20, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Cars

but I also tried to see

dear john and I sleep
the vaughn-legally blonde movie I almost sleep
Shes out of my league... Ive seen worst so I kind of like it.

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #596 on: July 23, 2010, 12:23:09 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I just saw Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (2002).

Man it was awesome. Just awesome.

EDIT: and for the record I hate Anime (sorry Edgar). I love Spirited Away, Princess Monanoke, and Ninja Scroll. That's where it stops...but CB the movie was awesome. Its on Netflix on demand.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #597 on: July 23, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »

Kiorrik

I just saw Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (2002).

Man it was awesome. Just awesome.

EDIT: and for the record I hate Anime (sorry Edgar). I love Spirited Away, Princess Monanoke, and Ninja Scroll. That's where it stops...but CB the movie was awesome. Its on Netflix on demand.
lol @ hating anime and loving those animes :]

There's a middle ground; not liking some, liking others ;)

I could recommend you some other ones? Howls moving castle for example, by the makers of Spirited away!

Btw, I'm watching Cowboy Bebop (the series) with my girlfriend now. We're both new to it (well, she's seen some "best of" parts) and we're now watching the whole series. It's alright. We're halfway through and I'm alright with it.

« Reply #598 on: July 23, 2010, 10:48:23 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Space Chimps (for the 10th time w/ my kids)

Running Man - purchased this about 6 months ago at the Hollywood Video going out of biz sale for $2.  One of my 80's faves.  Arnold is awesome, and there's so many cheesy characters to choose from (Richard Dawson, Jesse the Body, Jim Brown...you name it) .  The concept is so simply and enjoyable. 

Yup

« Reply #599 on: July 23, 2010, 11:03:58 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Be Kind Rewind. Perfect Jack Black vehicle. Mos Def makes it though. His timing is amazing.