Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 953475 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #405 on: April 11, 2010, 07:43:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

« Reply #406 on: April 13, 2010, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i saw law abiding citizen. only thing that bothered me was that jamie fox's character still was'nt likeable. i was rooting for the other guy. i would have liked to see him off jamie fox's character too.

« Reply #407 on: April 13, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i saw clash of the titans. i enjoyed it a lot even though i still prefer the original.all action, not much acting but i kinda figured this going in.  i definitely would recommend NOT watching it in 3-d. i thought it was tough to see things just as some reviews described. i'd like to see it again in 2-d.

« Reply #408 on: April 16, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Kick Ass

Very good story, great action sequences & choreography, awesome score & soundtrack.

Has a nice comic book feel and overall a super fun film.

Nice jobs by the young actors, especially the girl playing Hit Girl. Cage was his usual brilliant self.

Score: 99/100

« Reply #409 on: April 17, 2010, 02:37:36 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
Shoot the Piano Player:

A black and white French film noir, directed by Francios Traffaut, that came out in 1960.  It was a take-off on American gangster movies that, in turn, greatly influenced future American gangster classics like Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and even The Sopranos.  It was a pretty zany movie, sometimes a little slow and sometimes fast paced, where the gangsters were really humanized.  Full of great characters, especially the women.

I'd recommend it to any fans of film noir (whatever that entails).

« Reply #410 on: April 18, 2010, 02:59:13 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
cars
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #411 on: April 19, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

Magnolia - 3.5 out of 4 stars

- Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will be Blood, Boogie Nights, Punch-Drunk Love)

- Starring Tom Cruise, Philip Seymour Hoffman, John C. Reilly, Julianne Moore, William H. Macy, and Philip Baker Hall

Magnolia is from 1999. It is another film including a web of characters who have moments when they interact ala Crash, 21 Grams, Traffic, & Babel. This film may feature the best ensemble cast I have ever seen, not because of the names (That prize might go to The Departed), but the acting is awesome from everybody. I believed everybody's character. Coming in at just over 3 hours viewers are given a good background and understanding of each character (Not that Babel, Crash, Traffic, and 21 Grams didn't do a good job of this... Magnolia just did it first). If you look away from the screen for one second you can miss something. PTA puts a ton of little tiny clues of certain things throughout the movie such as reappearing signs with bible verses, etc. PTA always gives his movies scores that help the viewer understand the story. In Punch-Drunk love Adam Sandler plays a bipolar man and throughout that movie we hear beating drums and static over people talking which helps us understand what hes going through. In Magnolia he used this same style and I think it was a bad move. Music was constantly played over important conversations in a movie that you should know everything that's being said and going on to truly know what's happening. The performances by Tom Cruise and John C. Reilly were some of their best. The story was very entertaining and different interlocking stories brought up different emotions. Whenever the story jumped from one person to another I felt angry that the story left 1 person, yet happy that it jumped to the other person... and when the movie ended (After 3 hours) I was angry because I wanted it to keep going. The movie is about coincidence, some things are so strange and ridiculous that you say, "That would not happen!"... immediately after you say this, as if PTA is controlling the film from inside your head you will see one of those signs that he scatters throughout the movie, and the sign reads something along the lines of "But it did happen."

« Reply #412 on: April 19, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

- Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson (There Will be Blood, Boogie Nights, Punch-Drunk Love)

- Starring Tom Cruise, Philip Seymour Hoffman, John C. Reilly, Julianne Moore, William H. Macy, and Philip Baker Hall

Magnolia is from 1999. It is another film including a web of characters who have moments when they interact ala Crash, 21 Grams, Traffic, & Babel. This film may feature the best ensemble cast I have ever seen, not because of the names (That prize might go to The Departed), but the acting is awesome from everybody. I believed everybody's character. Coming in at just over 3 hours viewers are given a good background and understanding of each character (Not that Babel, Crash, Traffic, and 21 Grams didn't do a good job of this... Magnolia just did it first). If you look away from the screen for one second you can miss something. PTA puts a ton of little tiny clues of certain things throughout the movie such as reappearing signs with bible verses, etc. PTA always gives his movies scores that help the viewer understand the story. In Punch-Drunk love Adam Sandler plays a bipolar man and throughout that movie we hear beating drums and static over people talking which helps us understand what hes going through. In Magnolia he used this same style and I think it was a bad move. Music was constantly played over important conversations in a movie that you should know everything that's being said and going on to truly know what's happening. The performances by Tom Cruise and John C. Reilly were some of their best. The story was very entertaining and different interlocking stories brought up different emotions. Whenever the story jumped from one person to another I felt angry that the story left 1 person, yet happy that it jumped to the other person... and when the movie ended (After 3 hours) I was angry because I wanted it to keep going. The movie is about coincidence, some things are so strange and ridiculous that you say, "That would not happen!"... immediately after you say this, as if PTA is controlling the film from inside your head you will see one of those signs that he scatters throughout the movie, and the sign reads something along the lines of "But it did happen."

I agree the acting in this film is very good. Especially John C. Reilly, Jason Robards, and William H. Macy. But Tom Cruise's preformance is overrated and the film is just too weird. The Frogs, come on!!!!!

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #413 on: April 19, 2010, 10:30:01 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:07 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Just saw Kick A%s this weekend.  

Judged awesome.  Hit Girl most assuredly kicked major A%s.  There are some comments she makes that are cringe inducing...but you should know that prior to even going into the movie.

Good story lines for each character.  Even the nerdy kid from Superbad didn't play his normal nerdy character.  

It reminded me of Sin City in some respects.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2010, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
i went to see Kick Ass on Saturday. great movie. hopefully there's a sequel.

« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2010, 12:15:58 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Miller's Crossing.

Coen Bros. and gangster movie fans should see this. It's a gem.

« Reply #417 on: April 19, 2010, 05:49:17 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

I agree the acting in this film is very good. Especially John C. Reilly, Jason Robards, and William H. Macy. But Tom Cruise's preformance is overrated and the film is just too weird. The Frogs, come on!!!!!

That's exactly what I was talking about when I said some things will make you say "This would never happen!"... right after that scene PTA zooms in on a painting and the title of the painting is "But it did happen."

Also during the opening of the kids vs. adults game show somebody is holding up a sign that says "Exodus 8:2", the sign is only up for a second before somebody forces the person to put the sign down.

Exodus 8:2 - "If you refuse to let them go, I will plague your whole country with frogs."

I will agree the movie is very strange... but I take it for what it is... the opening scene tells you the movie will seem unbelievable but it is a movie about coincidence. You may think "This would never happen!" but in this world it did.

« Reply #418 on: April 25, 2010, 10:42:25 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
District 9.

I thought it was really good -- better than Hurt Locker, if that says anything.

I imagine people into Sci-Fi were probably very excited about the movie, but that's not me, so I didn't have any expectations about the movie, other than that it would be decent because of Peter Jackson. As a result of not having any expectations, I was very pleasantly surprised.  Definitely worth watching.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #419 on: April 25, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Bruno last night. It vas uber gay.  No really. It really was.

Wife didn't like it.

I thought it was between the awesomeness of Borat and the horridness of Ali G, with it being a good handful closer to Ali G.

I'm amazed he is never killed while making these movies