Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 953946 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #300 on: March 11, 2010, 08:48:45 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Best movies I've seen this year:

1. Inglourious Basterds
2. The Hurt Locker
3. Moon
4. Precious
5. (500) Days of Summer

...for now.

I still have to see Invictus, Avatar, Brothers, The Road, Broken Embraces, Up In The Air, An Education, A Single Man, The Blind Side... I don't know what else.

« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:14 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Into to the movie which is pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unntwxaF_LQ&feature=related

A great documentary definitely worth watching.

« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2010, 04:52:45 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
The Box - 2 - Not very good. Concept is good until it turns into this crazy alien science fiction movie... Advertised to be something it isn't, kind of like "Knowing". Except I liked Knowing better, where it lacked in a good story line it made up for in action. The Box had a ridiculous story line with minimal action to boot. Frank Langella ripped off Jigsaw from the Saw series. Everything about him reminded me of Jigsaw. It could have been much better if it stayed clear of the scifi elements... but it was directed by Richard Kelly (Donnie Darko) so I should have assumed.

« Reply #303 on: March 12, 2010, 05:10:48 PM »

Offline stoyko

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 77
When the Levees Broke, directed by Spike Lee.

Great documentary about New Orleans before, after, and during Katrina. Heart breaking but worth seeing.
NJ Nyets.
A.Iguodala,Nene,A. Brooks, H. Warrick, ,C.Delfino,MoWilliams,Nick Collison,Reggie Williams, T. Douglas, E. Barron,Q. Ross,James Anderson, Jeff Pendergraph

« Reply #304 on: March 12, 2010, 11:19:20 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Up in the Air - 3.5 out of 4 - Reitman made his best movie so far. Thank You For Smoking was enjoyable. I couldn't stand Juno, but Up in the Air was great. I can't figure out why I took off a half a point. I can't really think about anything I didn't like. It just didn't overwhelm me after watching (500) Days of Summer and Precious. Glad I got it.

« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2010, 01:08:08 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Up in the Air - 3.5 out of 4 - Reitman made his best movie so far. Thank You For Smoking was enjoyable. I couldn't stand Juno, but Up in the Air was great. I can't figure out why I took off a half a point. I can't really think about anything I didn't like. It just didn't overwhelm me after watching (500) Days of Summer and Precious. Glad I got it.

Matt, while you're one of my favorite bloggers and we agree on almost everything, I just saw "Up In The Air" and I would only give it a 2.5. I have to say, though, that it's because of pure bias on my part ... I can't stand Clooney. He fits in the same category as Richard Gere for me, which is: Pretty Boy, No talent ... or I should say, SOME talent, but way too "camera aware" ... you can tell that they always know exactly where the camera is and are playing to IT, rather than playing to the other character(s) in the shot. It just screams of vanity to me, and while I honestly don't know that they are indeed vain, just the impression they give me is enough to make it distasteful. (If you saw the awards the other night during breaks in the games, George's facial expression while they introduced him said it all .... no humbleness, no acknowledgement of anything other than "Oh, I'm just soooooooooo wunnerful, and everyone thinks I'm dreamy!" (Gag!)

Now, as I stated, I don't know that he's that kind of person or not, but the feeling I get when I watch him in ANY movie, is not that he's living the part or becoming the person he's playing, but ONLY that he's playing to the camera, and that he is constantly thinking "Is this my good side? Am I going to look good in this shot? Is she blocking me too much? Does the director know that this isn't my best color?" (Please forgive me, George, and all those who adore him ... I admit completely that it's a totally unfounded distatse and revulsion ... but I can't HELP it ... it's THERE, and I can't ignore it). Everyone has their own versions of someone that just rubs them the wrong way or repulses them irrationally, and George Clooney is one of those for me. There are a few other actors and actresses that do the same thing to me, and I just can't get beyond them to enjoy the movie they're in for what it is .... unfortunately, (Richard Gere, Kate Winslet, Susan Sarandon, etc.).

Now, it's not just some irrational "pretty boy" hatred thing, because there are actors who fall into that category who I feel are amazing actors as well, (Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ben Affleck, etc.) ... these guys have gone a long way on their looks as well, but are also just incredibly talented, no matter how you slice it, and they don't have that same constant "always play to the camera" awareness that totally invalidates those who are guilty of it. (I hope I'm explaining this well, cuz it's really a difficult thing for me to describe in an understandable fashion). Anyway ... I think "Up In The Air" would have been a home-run for me if someone else was playing Clooney's part, (always loved his aunt, Rosemary, though ... velvet-voiced). I also just saw "Up" and that was absolutely one of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in a long time, despite it being digital animation ... can't wait to see it again, and that's always a good indication to me.

I used to go to movies with an analytical mind-set, and pick them apart for each element involved, but I found that I ended up not getting much enjoyment from them that way ... too much analysis can really take the "joy" out of "enjoyment". So now I go to movies with no pre-sets or expectations, and instead of analyzing, I just take it IN ... just let it play out and really ENJOY it, or NOT. Then if it's something I feel is worth watching again, the next time I watch it I'll be a little more analytical, on purpose, but still not to the point of taking the fun out of it. I believe movies are made for enjoyment first of all, and I've reached a point in my life where I really don't want to be manipulated by a movie politically or socially, I just want to be ENTERTAINED. (Make sense?) So with that in mind I've rated the following by that criteria ... whether or not I was entertained and/or affected or moved in a meaningful way.

"Up In The Air"            2.5 Stars (Due to GC)

"Up"                              4.0 Stars

"Avatar"                        4.0 Stars (I'm a sci-fi freak)

"The Blind Side"        3.5 Stars

"The Hurt Locker"      3.5 Stars

Now, while "Avatar" was certainly not a "deep" or artsy-type movie, and while it was a bit predictable and trite as far as the plot and story-line goes, I am a sci-fi freak and this movie took the process of science fiction movie-making and special effects to a whole new level, and I was absolutely entranced and blown away by it. Again, it has a lot to do with where I am in my life now and the "entertainment" factor ... it wouldn't be too difficult to take almost any movie and analyze the enjoyment right out of it, but by the criteria of pure entertainment, Avatar was amazing, and like nothing else I've ever seen. Can't wait for MORE! ;)

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2010, 05:05:16 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Matt, while you're one of my favorite bloggers and we agree on almost everything, I just saw "Up In The Air" and I would only give it a 2.5. I have to say, though, that it's because of pure bias on my part ... I can't stand Clooney. He fits in the same category as Richard Gere for me, which is: Pretty Boy, No talent ... or I should say, SOME talent, but way too "camera aware" ... you can tell that they always know exactly where the camera is and are playing to IT, rather than playing to the other character(s) in the shot. It just screams of vanity to me, and while I honestly don't know that they are indeed vain, just the impression they give me is enough to make it distasteful. (If you saw the awards the other night during breaks in the games, George's facial expression while they introduced him said it all .... no humbleness, no acknowledgement of anything other than "Oh, I'm just soooooooooo wunnerful, and everyone thinks I'm dreamy!" (Gag!)

I am the opposite on Clooney.  Dude seems like a cool guy.  Every interview I've ever seen he seems to realized he really lucked out.  And he'd be high on the list of my favorite actors going right now.  Not so much for his acting (which is servicable), but for the roles he chooses.  Dude could just sit back and make blah romantic comedies and paint-by-numbers action movies, but he does a lot of daring, low budget stuff, and in the process, had a hand in a lot of the best movies of the 00s.  Good Night and Good Luck, Michael Clayton, Syriana, Oh Brother Where Art Though?, etc.  The roles an actor chooses means a lot more to me than their actual acting ability. 

« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2010, 07:57:07 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
I have no opinion whatsoever on Clooney. I don't love him or hate him. The only movies I can say I really like with Clooney are Up in the Air, Burn After Reading, O Brother Where Art Thou?, and The Perfect Storm. So for that reason I have no problem with you, Bahku, saying you don't like him. I understand exactly what you are saying. I do think he has lost his humbleness, but I still think he's a good actor. I do think the looks he was giving the camera were basically jokes during the Academy Awards though. After Bridges won Best Actor over him he pretended that he was mad about it for a second... he obviously didn't mean this because on the red carpet he said that even he voted for Bridges, so that has to be taken into account.

As far as you being a "sci-fi freak", if you haven't seen "Moon" yet... you need to see it. Sam Rockwell has an amazing performance. The film is directed by David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones. I found it to be far superior to District 9 in every way. Anywhere "District 9" got a nomination I think it should have been Moon. It did win a lot of British awards, including a BAFTA for Outstanding Directorial Debut. I feel that it was snubbed in every category this year, partly because nobody saw it. I feel the same way about this movie that I did about "In Bruges" last year.

« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2010, 08:05:22 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I've somehow managed not to see In Bruges yet.  I've heard nothing but good things about it.

« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2010, 08:12:28 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
I've somehow managed not to see In Bruges yet.  I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Put Collin Farrel in a role where he doesn't have to hide his accent and give him an awesome supporting cast in a good dark comedy and you've got a good film. They brought a very dull looking city to life in that movie.

« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2010, 08:14:23 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I have no opinion whatsoever on Clooney. I don't love him or hate him. The only movies I can say I really like with Clooney are Up in the Air, Burn After Reading, O Brother Where Art Thou?, and The Perfect Storm. So for that reason I have no problem with you, Bahku, saying you don't like him. I understand exactly what you are saying. I do think he has lost his humbleness, but I still think he's a good actor. I do think the looks he was giving the camera were basically jokes during the Academy Awards though. After Bridges won Best Actor over him he pretended that he was mad about it for a second... he obviously didn't mean this because on the red carpet he said that even he voted for Bridges, so that has to be taken into account.

As far as you being a "sci-fi freak", if you haven't seen "Moon" yet... you need to see it. Sam Rockwell has an amazing performance. The film is directed by David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones. I found it to be far superior to District 9 in every way. Anywhere "District 9" got a nomination I think it should have been Moon. It did win a lot of British awards, including a BAFTA for Outstanding Directorial Debut. I feel that it was snubbed in every category this year, partly because nobody saw it. I feel the same way about this movie that I did about "In Bruges" last year.

I honestly don't know why he bugs me so ... just one of those things, I guess. I have to admit, I loved The Perfect Storm, and he was the right guy for that part ... I'd forgotten about it for some reason, but he did a great job in that one. I really, REALLY want to see "Moon" ... everyone I know who's seen it says it's awesome and that it didn't get the positive publicity that it should have. I'm ordering it right now ... otherwise I'll forget again. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2010, 08:47:20 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Extract.
Courtesy of Netflix.
Last movie in a movie theater was Away We Go with John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph.  A ton of movies that I want to see in the theater have come and gone since then, but I just can't bring myself to pay $12  in the theater.  Even for something like Avatar.  That said, I may just go see Up In The Air in the theater today.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2010, 09:43:39 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Yesterday saw 'Marley And Me' (much better than I thought it would be) and 'Glory'.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #313 on: March 13, 2010, 09:53:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yesterday saw 'Marley And Me' (much better than I thought it would be) and 'Glory'.

Marley and Me was a major tear jerker!  Bet it definitely was better than I thought.  I had a very similar timeline and relationship with my wife and old dog Buddy.  Watching him deteriorate was really painful.
Yup

« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Now, as I stated, I don't know that he's that kind of person or not, but the feeling I get when I watch him in ANY movie, is not that he's living the part or becoming the person he's playing, but ONLY that he's playing to the camera, and that he is constantly thinking "Is this my good side? Am I going to look good in this shot? Is she blocking me too much? Does the director know that this isn't my best color?" (Please forgive me, George, and all those who adore him ... I admit completely that it's a totally unfounded distatse and revulsion ... but I can't HELP it ... it's THERE, and I can't ignore it). Everyone has their own versions of someone that just rubs them the wrong way or repulses them irrationally, and George Clooney is one of those for me. There are a few other actors and actresses that do the same thing to me, and I just can't get beyond them to enjoy the movie they're in for what it is .... unfortunately, (Richard Gere, Kate Winslet, Susan Sarandon, etc.).

Interesting take.  I just saw Up in the Air as well, and I liked it.  I didn't much like the ending (no spoilers), but I thought the rest was well done.

I don't like Clooney as a person.  His politics bother me, and he comes across as way too smooth and smug for his own good.  That being said, I like a lot of his movies.  I agree that he often plays to the camera, and that that can sometimes come across as too clever.  However, I think it can also sometimes work as a style; yes, you're very aware that these aren't real characters, but they come across in a larger-than-life manner.  I don't know exactly how to explain it, but it's almost like things are slightly exaggerated -- much like in a play -- for effect.

Of course, there are a lot of "clever" Clooney movies I hate, like Oh Brother Where Art Thou.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions