Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948803 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #270 on: March 07, 2010, 05:25:24 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah IndeedProceed... I'd bump "I Am Legend" up to "mediocre" if they didn't completely botch the ending.  *spoiler* The entire movie they kept dropping hints that the "king zombie" wasn't just out to kill Will Smith, but was instead trying to get back the female zombie that Will kidnapped.  Everything seemed to be leading to a climactic point where Will realizes the King zombie still had the capacity to love... and was just trying to get his woman back (hence the odd behavior with him going into daylight, etc) ...    instead the ending of that movie was complete garbage.  Will sees a butterfly, takes a blood sample and blows himself up.   Possibly the weakest movie ending I have seen (until I saw the crapfest that was "The Book of Eli"... speaking of Denzel).     The second I saw in the commercials that "I am Legend" had an alternate ending, I knew what it was going to be.   It was just as expected.   It made sense.  Unfortunately the ending they used in the theatrical release destroyed the movie for me.

« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28:58 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
since I'm never going to watch the DVD, what was the different ending?

Honestly, where the dog died. Old Yeller moment. I didn't cry, but it stuck with me, seriously.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #272 on: March 07, 2010, 05:36:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
since I'm never going to watch the DVD, what was the different ending?

Honestly, where the dog died. Old Yeller moment. I didn't cry, but it stuck with me, seriously.
After posting that I checked wiki ... turns out I'm not alone in my feelings about "I am legend".  A lot of critics thought the 3rd act was a massive failure and most agreed the alternate ending was superior. 

The tone of the film's ending was altered before the film's release, especially the stand-off between Neville and the infected in his laboratory. Visual effects supervisor Janek Sirrs recounts the original ending starting with the stand-off: "At that point, Neville's - and the audience's - assumptions about the nature of these creatures are shown to be incorrect. We see that they have actually retained some of their humanity. There is a very important moment between the alpha male and Neville. The alpha male slapped his hand on the glass and smeared it revealing a butterfly shaped imprint." Neville realizes that the alpha male is identifying the infected woman he was experimenting on by a butterfly tattoo, and that the alpha male wants her back. Demonstrating that he will cease fighting and return her, Neville is allowed to approach them, with the alpha male ordering the infected not to touch him. Neville brings the alpha female back to consciousness, still infected due to him having removed the cure, and the alpha male embraces her; Travis Schaub stated, "Then, when Neville finally turns the alpha female over to the alpha male, there is this little love moment between the two of them." Neville and the alpha male then exchange stares; Neville apologizes to them, which the alpha male acknowledges before the infected leave. He then looks at the photos of the infected he has experimented on and killed, and he realizes that he is the monster of their legends: the infected think of him as someone who hunts down and kills their people. The original final shot follows Neville, Anna, and Ethan as they cross the remnants of the George Washington Bridge in the hope of finding other survivors, accompanied by a recording from Anna telling possible survivors that there is hope, and Neville knows the compounds of the cure, meaning he can recreate it and help humanity survive and rebuild, thus establishing his legend.[5]

I think you can find it on youtube. 

Here was IGN's take on the mess of the original ending: 

The old filmmaker's adage has always been that if you can impress an audience at the very end, much can be forgiven. The opposite, one imagines, is also true – that a fine enough film can be tainted almost entirely by the failings of a tragic third act. Theatrically, I Am Legend was an unfortunate example of the latter – a well-crafted, powerfully-performed film which, while seldom exceptional, had the makings of goodness, if not greatness. Until, of course, the final five minutes, which traded senseless simplicity for emotional complexity and soured into the congealed mess of palatable Hollywood mediocrity. It was a conclusion which, in many ways, proved to some audiences just how incredibly stupid the studios believed them to be and to others just how stupid they actually are.

So it is on the money-making medium of DVD – ever-increasingly the dumping ground for cinematic greatness – where we find an alternate ending that treats its audience with a reasonable degree of respect. The "alternate theatrical version" offers less a revision of the film itself – in truth, it plays almost entirely the same until the finale – and more a conclusion which washes away much of the patina splashed across the first two acts by the original ending. It's a simple adjustment – seven minutes of new footage that sweetens an otherwise sour taste – but the degree to which it makes the film feel inexorably more cohesive is impressive. If not to include a flashy finale explosion, one wonders why anyone would have thought to change it at all. This new ending easily elevates the film in quality and calls for a definite revisit on DVD.

It's strange how boneheaded some of these people are that run these studios.

« Reply #273 on: March 07, 2010, 05:52:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Thanks Lar, and I looked it up...here is the alternate ending

http://www.traileraddict.com/clip/i-am-legend/alternate-ending

It's cool that Neville survived in that one....it's definitely more positive. I'm gonna need to rewatch the whole film though.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #274 on: March 07, 2010, 08:41:36 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
500 Days of Summer...not too bad...

« Reply #275 on: March 07, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I watched Kung Fu Panda with my daughters last night.  I've seen it several times now, but it's one of favorite kid genre movies (and I've seen a bunch over the last few years  ;) )

And the Panda's name is Po, so how can you go wrong?

The wise old kung fu guru master turtle dude with some good words of wisdom:

Yesterday is history
Tomorrow is a mystery
But today is a gift
And that's why they call it "the present"
Yup

« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2010, 09:51:06 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I watched 2012 last night.  I thought it was terrible movie making; the story bounced around between way too many characters, meaning the audience wasn't emotionally invested in any of them.  It was also too long, and despite pretty good effects, they were so over the top that they were laughable.

In the end, I'd rate it a C-/D+.  I generally like disaster movies -- I loved Armageddon, and I thought that movies like Twister, Dante's Peak, Deep Impact, and even The Core were all entertaining -- but this was a big let down.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2010, 09:56:53 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I watched 2012 last night.  I thought it was terrible movie making; the story bounced around between way too many characters, meaning the audience wasn't emotionally invested in any of them.  It was also too long, and despite pretty good effects, they were so over the top that they were laughable.

In the end, I'd rate it a C-/D+.  I generally like disaster movies -- I loved Armageddon, and I thought that movies like Twister, Dante's Peak, Deep Impact, and even The Core were all entertaining -- but this was a big let down.

Yeh, that was pretty much my impression of what this movie would be.  Even the trailer is just a little too much - an airplane outracing the oncoming earthquake tidal wave thing??

I really don't like it when they bounce around to different characters like that in a disaster movie, but I guess that's the cookie cutter formula.
Yup

« Reply #278 on: March 08, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
Recently viewed & votes based on my entertainment value only:

The Box 7/10
The Da Vinci Code 7/10
Vanilla Sky 7/10
A Perfect Getaway 6/10
Sherlock Holmes 5/10
Jennifer’s Body 4/10
Celestine Prophecy 3/10
Crazy Heart 3/10
All About Steve 1/10
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #279 on: March 08, 2010, 05:37:41 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439

I had seen it a couple of times already but my last watching was a long time ago.

This is really a masterpiece. I'm always caught in this movie and amazed by its atmosphere, story, themes, every time I watch it, almost like the first time I discovered it.

It really is great : great actors (Natalie Portman, Hugo Weaving, Stephen Rea most notably), great story, great atmosphere (the visuals are particular but really impressive to me, it gives the movie some really original ambiance), and great scenes (a lot of them are memorable).

The movie makes you wonder and think about a lot of important themes, and it really is a beautiful story. The fact that the hero never shows his face and that we always see him with a mask is a big achievement in terms of story-telling too. Also, it's really a character that you love and hate at the same time.

I can only advise you to watch it if you've never seen it!

« Reply #280 on: March 08, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
The Box
I don't think I've ever watched a movie that tried so hard not to explain things about the charcters and plot.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #281 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
This will be arriving at my doorstep tomorrow.  Looking forward to some quality Nazi Zombie action!

Yup

« Reply #282 on: March 09, 2010, 01:18:49 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
fish king
hangovered after a metallica concert and still
worth to watch
good one really
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #283 on: March 09, 2010, 01:57:41 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
fish king
worth to watch
good one really

Awesome flick, Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams ... never got the respect it deserved, but it's now a cult classic. I'm watching "Live Free Or Die Hard" right now ... one of Justin Long's best movies, I think ... and I love most anything with Bruce Willis.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:19:34 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #284 on: March 09, 2010, 02:05:59 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
fish king
worth to watch
good one really

Awesome flick, Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams ... never got the respect it deserved, but it's now a cult classic. I'm watching "Live Free Or Die Hard" right now ... one of Jason Long's best movies, I think ... and I love most anything with Bruce Willis.

yup

I want to elaborate more
but i have to catch on naruto shippuden yugioh5d and fullmetal
i know i am a kid..lol
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!