Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948833 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #255 on: March 03, 2010, 05:33:28 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Cannibal Holocaust.

Absolutely brutal. I don't recommend it to anyone faint of heart. Seriously, it makes things like Saw and The Hills Have Eyes look like a Powepuff Girls movie.

Haha i saw it a while ago.  It was(and may still be) on google video for anyone to watch.  Yeah, it is rough.  Rape, torture, guts, animal mutilation, you name it.  Supposedly the director had to bring the actors to court with him in Italy to prove that they were alive and that CH wasn't a snuff film.

As a movie, Cannibal Holocaust is pretty terrible.  The dialogue is beyond awful, and the character's decision making makes them seem like they're from a different planet.  but, for all horror movie freaks, checking out CH is almost a rite of passage.

« Reply #256 on: March 03, 2010, 06:46:49 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Cannibal Holocaust.

Absolutely brutal. I don't recommend it to anyone faint of heart. Seriously, it makes things like Saw and The Hills Have Eyes look like a Powepuff Girls movie.

Haha i saw it a while ago.  It was(and may still be) on google video for anyone to watch.  Yeah, it is rough.  Rape, torture, guts, animal mutilation, you name it.  Supposedly the director had to bring the actors to court with him in Italy to prove that they were alive and that CH wasn't a snuff film.

As a movie, Cannibal Holocaust is pretty terrible.  The dialogue is beyond awful, and the character's decision making makes them seem like they're from a different planet.  but, for all horror movie freaks, checking out CH is almost a rite of passage.

Real animal killings, too.. No special effects there. Surprised the director didn't get some sort of punishment for that. If that was filmed today, PETA would have literally crucified that guy.

But yea, I agree.. The acting and everything is bad, good special effects for the time, though. Basically, if you make it through this movie then you should have no problem seeing any other horror movie ever made.

« Reply #257 on: March 03, 2010, 10:08:32 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
I have seen 'The Road' like few here suggested and liked it alot. A powerful experience that makes you think. The end was very emotional.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #258 on: March 04, 2010, 05:22:59 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Real animal killings, too.. No special effects there. Surprised the director didn't get some sort of punishment for that. If that was filmed today, PETA would have literally crucified that guy.

But yea, I agree.. The acting and everything is bad, good special effects for the time, though. Basically, if you make it through this movie then you should have no problem seeing any other horror movie ever made.

Twas a different time back then.  And they were so gung ho about balls to the walls horror in Italy at that time, he probably won an award commending him for the animal scenes.

Also, I read somewhere that there excuse for the animal scenes were that most of them are scenes of actual natives killing the animals.  It was already going on, so they just filmed it.

Yeah, if you can handle Cannibal Holocaust, you can handle pretty much anything.

« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2010, 11:03:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Alice in Wonderland...

It wasn't good.  It was like Hook if Hook had stunk. 

My youtube version was more entertaining:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l2POYziCn8

Skip it.

« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2010, 11:10:42 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Hurt Locker - very good, somewhat realistic if you're on a bomb team, I suppose. Not very realistic when it comes to Army combat soldiers. Also, troops never, but never, go anywhere without lots of infantry backup and lots of black hawks or some other form of support. I found that part very unrealistic.

« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2010, 11:17:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Hurt Locker - very good, somewhat realistic if you're on a bomb team, I suppose. Not very realistic when it comes to Army combat soldiers. Also, troops never, but never, go anywhere without lots of infantry backup and lots of black hawks or some other form of support. I found that part very unrealistic.

Good movie.  Overrated movie

« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2010, 11:19:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Good movie.  Overrated movie

I loved it. Saw it last night.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #263 on: March 07, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »

Offline tenaciousT

• Author
  • Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2502
I rented the Boy in the Striped Pajamas, not too long ago.

good movie, well done, and surprise ending.

I also got The Great Buck Howard with John Malkovic.

Also liked that for totally different reasons. Funny and poignant story about a has been mentalist who didn't realize his time has past. It was a direct correlation to the Amazing Kreskin...for those old enough to know who I am talking about.

It was written by his former assistant.

It also starred Colin Hanks, Tom Hanks son. Tom had a few cameos in it.

It was a Sundance Sun Festival indy film that had very little public distribution. It is a sleeper.

My wife didn't like it all, but she doesn't know who Kreskin was/is.

As you can guess, I like 'off beat' movies at times.

« Reply #264 on: March 07, 2010, 01:47:46 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
Seven Pounds starring Will Smith was a fantastic movie. Very, very intense. It's about a man who blames himself for his wife's death and thus sets out to punish himself by giving of himself to others till he has nothing left to give. Very sad, but amazingly touching. Made me fall in love with Will Smith.

« Reply #265 on: March 07, 2010, 01:52:41 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
Also, NETFLIX is how I watch all my movies. Love movies, don't watch TV much except for the news and celtic games.
It's so much cheaper than renting them from a movie store and dvds are sent to you through the mail. Once you mail them back, it takes only 2 days to get your next set of movies. You keep a list on their site of all the movies you want sent and in what order. They have the latest movies as soon as they come out on dvd. I was spending about $75/mo. at the movie store, what with all the late charges I always accumulated. Now I spend $15/mo and can watch all the movies I want.
We also love going to the theaters, especially to watch in IMAX.

« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2010, 02:03:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Also, NETFLIX is how I watch all my movies. Love movies, don't watch TV much except for the news and celtic games.
It's so much cheaper than renting them from a movie store and dvds are sent to you through the mail. Once you mail them back, it takes only 2 days to get your next set of movies. You keep a list on their site of all the movies you want sent and in what order. They have the latest movies as soon as they come out on dvd. I was spending about $75/mo. at the movie store, what with all the late charges I always accumulated. Now I spend $15/mo and can watch all the movies I want.
We also love going to the theaters, especially to watch in IMAX.

You know you can watch  crap ton of movies over your computer via NetFlix too right?

« Reply #267 on: March 07, 2010, 02:14:46 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Seven Pounds starring Will Smith was a fantastic movie. Very, very intense. It's about a man who blames himself for his wife's death and thus sets out to punish himself by giving of himself to others till he has nothing left to give. Very sad, but amazingly touching. Made me fall in love with Will Smith.

Awesome movie ... I've been a huge Will Smith fan since the days of Fresh Prince, but he has quickly become one of the most diverse and talented actors alive today. Loved him in fun films like Independence Day, Bad Boys 1 & 2, Men In Black 1 & 2, Wild Wild West, Hitch, I Am Legend, and Hancock, but my favorites are Seven Pounds, The Pursuit Of Happyness (correct mis-spelling), I, Robot, Ali, and one of my favorite action flicks: Enemy of the State, (with Gene Hackman). He now is a film and television producer, music producer, and is incredibly multi-talented, along with being one of the nicest family-oriented guys in Hollywood. I have always had a great respect for him, as he vowed early-on in his Rap career to not compromise his values, and make great Rap music without the foul language and violent themes that were so popular at the time ... yet still became a huge musical success. Awesome guy. I'm a big NetFlix guy as well. ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 02:42:54 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #268 on: March 07, 2010, 04:28:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Awesome movie ... I've been a huge Will Smith fan since the days of Fresh Prince, but he has quickly become one of the most diverse and talented actors alive today. Loved him in fun films like Independence Day, Bad Boys 1 & 2, Men In Black 1 & 2, Wild Wild West, Hitch, I Am Legend, and Hancock, but my favorites are Seven Pounds, The Pursuit Of Happyness (correct mis-spelling), I, Robot, Ali, and one of my favorite action flicks: Enemy of the State, (with Gene Hackman). He now is a film and television producer, music producer, and is incredibly multi-talented, along with being one of the nicest family-oriented guys in Hollywood. I have always had a great respect for him, as he vowed early-on in his Rap career to not compromise his values, and make great Rap music without the foul language and violent themes that were so popular at the time ... yet still became a huge musical success. Awesome guy. I'm a big NetFlix guy as well. ;)
I thought Seven Pounds was dumb and extremely predictable.  And my only lasting memory of it was that I sat there and wondered if eyeball transplants were even possible... and if such a thing was possible, and you gave your eyeballs to a man who was blind since birth... wouldn't it take him several years to adjust to the world of sight?  Regardless of that, the movie wasn't good.  It was borderline horrible.  You could tell Will was giving it his Oscar best, but the material was just garbage.

I do like Will Smith, but I think you could make the case that he hasn't made a legitimately good movie since Men in Black.   I'd file Hancock, Hitch, Shark Tale, I Robot, Ali, Bad Boys 2, Men in Black 2, Wild Wild West and Bagger Vance under "Bad"...  Mildly entertaining, but bad.     I'd file Pursuit of Happyness under "mediocre".  And I'd say "I Am Legend" is either "bad" or "mediocre" depending on which ending you go with.  I saw it in the theater and the ending was unbelievably bad.  The movie builds to a logical conclusion and for some reason they completely ignore it for the ending.   I wasn't at all surprised that the DVD had an alternate ending that made more sense.  Either way... it was mediocre at best.

He just needs better material.  It's not his fault.  Actually... maybe it is.  Call it the "Curse of The Matrix".  he should have played Neo when he had a chance.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:54:50 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #269 on: March 07, 2010, 04:58:45 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I thought Seven Pounds was dumb and extremely predictable.  And my only lasting memory of it was that I sat there and wondered if eyeball transplants were even possible... and if such a thing was possible, and you gave your eyeballs to a man who was blind since birth... wouldn't it take him several years to adjust to the world of sight?  Regardless of that, the movie wasn't good.  It was borderline horrible.  You could tell Will was giving it his Oscar best, but the material was just garbage.

I do like Will Smith, but I think you could make the case that he hasn't made a legitimately good movie since Men in Black.   I'd file Hancock, Hitch, Shark Tale, I Robot, Ali, Bad Boys 2, Men in Black 2, Wild Wild West and Bagger Vance under "Bad"...  Mildly entertaining, but bad.     I'd file Pursuit of Happyness under "mediocre".  And I'd say "I Am Legend" is either "bad" or "mediocre" depending on which ending you go with.  I saw it in the theater and the ending was unbelievably bad.  The movie builds to a logical conclusion and for some reason they completely ignore it for the ending.   I wasn't at all surprised that the DVD had an alternate ending that made more sense.  Either way... it was mediocre at best.

He just needs better material.  It's not his fault. 

Yeah, Will Smith makes some bad movies.

Good:
MIB
Ali
I am Legend (disagree there Lar.)

Watchable one time when you have only expectations of mild entertainment:
Hitch
Shark Tale (whatever)
Bad Boys
Hancock
I Robot

Bad:
Baggar Vance
Seven Pounds
Bad Boys 2
MIB2

I agree, Will Smith is better than this.

The thing is he gets roped in by big budget pictures and their horrible sequels.

Call me crazy too, but i feel like if will smith isn't making a movie he doesn't feel appreciated.

He can act, I don't doubt it. He just picks bad movies.

Even Denzel made 'out of time'