Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948675 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #240 on: March 01, 2010, 02:03:31 PM »

Offline BigRedDog423

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Bronson

An extremely strange "A Clockwork Orange" wannabe. Very interesting and a true story. Great performance

« Reply #241 on: March 01, 2010, 02:09:16 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The Road. I can highly recommend it. I can't remember the last time a movie had such an impact on me. I was still thinking about it the morning after. Check it out.

The book had the same effect on me. Cant wait to see the flick.

I'm dreading the movie because the book was so moving.
I'm interested in hearing the opinion of someone who read the book beforehand.

I don't need to watch the movie to tell you that reading the book is a better move. The book is brief, but it is also vivid, disheartening, encouraging, and educating. I don't think there is any way the movie could measure up, especially after everything I've read about the changes they made to make it more 'cinematically adaptable'
I've also read the book, and as a rule I always assume that the book is better. The question is the degree to which the movie is worse. If it's only a small difference I will pay to see it. If it is more than that I will wait to watch it on net flix.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #242 on: March 01, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
The Road. I can highly recommend it. I can't remember the last time a movie had such an impact on me. I was still thinking about it the morning after. Check it out.

I'm interested in hearing the opinion of someone who read the book beforehand.

I don't need to watch the movie to tell you that reading the book is a better move. The book is brief, but it is also vivid, disheartening, encouraging, and educating. I don't think there is any way the movie could measure up, especially after everything I've read about the changes they made to make it more 'cinematically adaptable'
I've also read the book, and as a rule I always assume that the book is better. The question is the degree to which the movie is worse. If it's only a small difference I will pay to see it. If it is more than that I will wait to watch it on net flix.

People I know that have read the book AND seen the movie, say they come very close. If you don't want the movie to last five hours, you have to leave stuff out.

« Reply #243 on: March 01, 2010, 03:43:07 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

I know the movie will not even come close to portraying the relationship between father and son like the book did. There is not enough time in 2 hours or less to properly convene what McCarthy took his entire book to get accross. However there are many visual aspects of the setting and story that I am curious to see what a talented director can do. As always, read the book to get the most out of the story. It will be really fun though to compare what I had in my head to another person's interpretation of a completely run down post apocolyptic planet.

« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2010, 09:44:56 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Species.

Not the best movie in the world but I do love Natasha Henstridge  :)
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:29 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Cannibal Holocaust.

Absolutely brutal. I don't recommend it to anyone faint of heart. Seriously, it makes things like Saw and The Hills Have Eyes look like a Powepuff Girls movie.

« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2010, 12:10:16 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Smokin' Aces - Ridiculously good acting from Ryan Reynolds and Jeremy Piven. I did not expect it at all. The movie was visually stunning. The plot was cool when I finally understood it... but I wish I understood it the whole way through, or even half way through. There was just too much going on with too many characters. I gave it a 7 out of 10. It would have been a 6 but I feel that it may be a movie that gains value to me on multiple viewings as I will then understand what I'm watching. Maybe it will even be bumped up to an 8 because the acting and visuals were that good.

« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
Species.

Species holds a close place to my and every other male's heart born between 1984-1988 I would expect. Lets just say there was a lot of rewinding and pausing VHS tapes going on when that movie was released.

« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2010, 09:57:07 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Species.

Species holds a close place to my and every other male's heart born between 1984-1988 I would expect. Lets just say there was a lot of rewinding and pausing VHS tapes going on when that movie was released.

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that film changed my life.

Went and rewatched Dead Alive the other day - it's one of Peter Jackson's first films from back in New Zealand.  It's a ridiculously bloody, over-the-top zombie movie that doesn't take itself seriously at all.  While it's low-budget, there's some absolutely hilarious and unforgettable scenes in there, and the creature work is pretty amazing.  Highly recommended for B horror movie fans and people who like the color red. 

« Reply #249 on: March 02, 2010, 10:19:30 AM »

Offline shookones99

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 73
Shutter Island -- sooo good.

Seriously though.....So so good
When I'm in the gym...I like to grunt when  I get my swell on... That way everyone can see how jacked and tan I am.

« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Man I guess we weren't watching the same movie.  Way too predictable.  I'm sure you all have seen the trailers, hmmm really what do you think is going to happen SPOILER ALERT a guy is investigating an insane asylum, but wait he turns out to be insane all along.  Ya couldn't see that coming.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2010, 11:17:18 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Doctor Zhivago

« Reply #252 on: March 02, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

Man I guess we weren't watching the same movie.  Way too predictable.  I'm sure you all have seen the trailers, hmmm really what do you think is going to happen SPOILER ALERT a guy is investigating an insane asylum, but wait he turns out to be insane all along.  Ya couldn't see that coming.

I guess the plot twist was predictable. That doesnt take away the good performances from Ruffalo, DiCaprio and Kingsley. Not to mention the visual and atmospheric effects that Scorcese produced. there were plenty of moments of suspense and intrigue.

It wasnt Scorcese's best, mostly because the source material was nothing too original, but it was still pretty entertaining to me.

Ironically enough this is one of Lehane's crappier books IMO.

« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2010, 04:12:45 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
Shutter Island - it's good ... Scorsese can't help it ... yeah it's not a "go see it now!" level good.  But definitely a pass on the pass-fail scale.

« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I thought Shutter Island was incredible... However, I am still not sure which way I take the movie... You should all go see Crazy Heart, Jeff Bridges is phenominal.