Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948665 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #195 on: February 22, 2010, 04:16:20 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77
I've been watching old film noirs lately.  Here's a couple of really good French ones by Jean-Pierre Melville:

Le Samouri  (1967)
Le Cercle Rouge  (1970)

The French became fascinated with American gangster movies and proceeded to add that existential flavor to them.

Netflix has an extensive collection of film noirs. I'm also on a kind of kick now too.

I've been getting them from Netflix and the library.

« Reply #196 on: February 22, 2010, 04:19:11 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

My inner conspiracy theorist grows by the day, it's hard to dismiss things certain things when you don't believe in coincidence.

Weird movie, I'm not really into watching a person/people slowly turn crazy so it wasn't for me.

« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2010, 04:19:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I've been watching old film noirs lately.  Here's a couple of really good French ones by Jean-Pierre Melville:

Le Samouri  (1967)
Le Cercle Rouge  (1970)

The French became fascinated with American gangster movies and proceeded to add that existential flavor to them.

Netflix has an extensive collection of film noirs. I'm also on a kind of kick now too.

If you have Netflix, check out the watch instantly stuff. Its honestly the only reason I own netflix, because streaming it to my HDTV is so easy with my Xbox that I always have something to watch. I don't even really watch tv anymore cept for a few shows and Celtics games.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Also...

Great fight scenes with no effects (supposedly). Tony Jaa is basically Jackie chan 2010, possibly more, but less personality.

decent movie

« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2010, 04:33:06 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

Le Samouri  (1967)
Le Cercle Rouge  (1970)

Check out some early Jean-luc Goddard.

« Reply #200 on: February 22, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »

Offline looseball

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 77

Le Samouri  (1967)
Le Cercle Rouge  (1970)

If you have Netflix, check out the watch instantly stuff. Its honestly the only reason I own netflix, because streaming it to my HDTV is so easy with my Xbox that I always have something to watch. I don't even really watch tv anymore cept for a few shows and Celtics games.

I don't have this Xbox you mentioned.  I don't watch much tv, myself, other than Boston sports and movies.  But between Netflix and the library, I usually have a new movie every other day, and that's good enough for me. 

« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2010, 04:43:23 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Le Samouri  (1967)
Le Cercle Rouge  (1970)

I don't have this Xbox you mentioned.  I don't watch much tv, myself, other than Boston sports and movies.  But between Netflix and the library, I usually have a new movie every other day, and that's good enough for me. 

Ah.

Well you can watch stuff on either an XBox360 (a gaming system), or a Roku box (a small device that goes about $79.99).

Both of them use your existing cable internet connection to connect directly to netflix.com and stream instantly whatever you have in your "watch instantly" queue.

Also you can watch them from any computer (besides Linux) by simply going to Netflix Watch Instantly.

It's the best reason to own Netflix.

« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
The Battle of Algiers

« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2010, 05:04:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Le Samouri  (1967)
Le Cercle Rouge  (1970)

Ah.

Well you can watch stuff on either an XBox360 (a gaming system), or a Roku box (a small device that goes about $79.99).

Both of them use your existing cable internet connection to connect directly to netflix.com and stream instantly whatever you have in your "watch instantly" queue.

Also you can watch them from any computer (besides Linux) by simply going to Netflix Watch Instantly.

Are most new releases available via Xbox?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »

Offline Meds

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Year One with Jack Black and Michael Cera its on Showtime as an early release. Wow does it suck... Michael Cera's awkwardness is awesome though. It's a funny concept if you know your ancient civilizations and if Jack Black was not there to kill it.

« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
I've been watching the  movie "Blow" alot recently (with Johnny Depp and Ray Liotta) I barely watch TV except for the games, but each time I flip through the channels its usually on Starz. I like that movie alot since i've always been a fan of Latino movies.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2010, 04:15:39 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Solaris (the Russian one from the 70s)- I couldn't hack it.  Just too darn long (2hr 50min).  And I wouldn't have had a trouble with the length if something would've happened!  Something can only be subtle for so long.  After a while that subtlety turns to boredom.

« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2010, 06:13:18 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The last movie I watched in theaters is Brothers, with Natalie Portman, Jake Gylenhaal and Peter Parker Tobey Maguire.

I feared it would be a "classic" love story with three characters but it was really a great story and great drama, it makes you think about the family relationships, the soldiers who come back from war and are not the same, etc. Really a lot of interesting themes, and a lot of great scenes.

The actors are excellent, especially Natalie Portman (who is also beautiful :P), and Tobey Maguire surprised me, he plays much better than in Spider-Man.

The last movie I watched at home is Rain Man, I had never seen it but heard a lot of good reviews about it and they were right! It's definitely an excellent movie, great actors once again, beautiful story. It's quite sad, although it's treated on a comical tone for the most part, but it's really moving and Dustin Hoffman is just brilliant in this role.

« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:55 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Also...

Great fight scenes with no effects (supposedly). Tony Jaa is basically Jackie chan 2010, possibly more, but less personality.

decent movie

Assuming you saw the first one right? I think its way better.

« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2010, 03:02:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Le Samouri  (1967)
Le Cercle Rouge  (1970)

Ah.

Are most new releases available via Xbox?

No, those you have to order via the dvd service. You can also get most of them through xbox live