Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 957854 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #165 on: February 16, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Cirque du Freak: The Vampire Apprentice and Meet Dave.

« Reply #166 on: February 16, 2010, 01:16:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Benjamin Button....thought it was an instant top 10 movie ever.

Was amazed by some of the extraordinarily pretentious things the critics wrote about it.

Borderline life changing

So I take it you enjoyed Forest Gump Benjamin Button?

I watched Twilight New Moon with my gf late last night. I don't know when Vampires became whiny little emotional girls that can't be killed by silver or stakes, but I am not a fan.

Also, I don't know what being a werewolf has to do with never wearing a shirt, but apparently it's a big deal. I've heard they're considering casting Mike "The Situation" for the next movie, but current legal restrictions prohibit him from coming within 100 yards of minors.
I actually don't really see the comparison between Forest and Ben. The only similarity is that they both have something unusual that makes like harder for them and the film is about their life. Does that mean every film about a person's life where the people don't have disabilities is plagiarized from each other?

Also Forest was unaware of much going on around him, whereas Ben was aware early on.

Further Forest kept ending up at important times and places randomly and enjoyed tremendous success not of his own doing really, and not so for Ben.

I just don't see the comparison at all.

« Reply #167 on: February 16, 2010, 01:24:56 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I just watched "Bill Cosby Himself" last night.  I haven't seen it in forever.

"Dad is great...give us the chocolate cake."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:31:39 PM by RAcker »

« Reply #168 on: February 16, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I saw The Lightening Thief and it was visually better than Avatar with a more believable story.  It will probably get mixed reviews because it's adopted from a Children's book.  Good family fun with great special effects.

In fact Hades scared the <insert word> out of me.  He was still not as mean as the Marine in Avatar though.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #169 on: February 16, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Was amazed by some of the extraordinarily pretentious things the critics wrote about it.

Borderline life changing

I watched Twilight New Moon with my gf late last night. I don't know when Vampires became whiny little emotional girls that can't be killed by silver or stakes, but I am not a fan.

Also, I don't know what being a werewolf has to do with never wearing a shirt, but apparently it's a big deal. I've heard they're considering casting Mike "The Situation" for the next movie, but current legal restrictions prohibit him from coming within 100 yards of minors.
I actually don't really see the comparison between Forest and Ben. The only similarity is that they both have something unusual that makes like harder for them and the film is about their life. Does that mean every film about a person's life where the people don't have disabilities is plagiarized from each other?

Also Forest was unaware of much going on around him, whereas Ben was aware early on.

Further Forest kept ending up at important times and places randomly and enjoyed tremendous success not of his own doing really, and not so for Ben.

My girlfriend said the same thing. Allow me to elaborate:

1) Both stories revolve around a girl that "just isn't right, right now" for the protagonist. Ben and whoever 'meet in the middle', then tragically drift apart. Forest and Juh-Juh-Juh-Jennayyyyyyy keep having these 'almost' moments...and finally tragically only get together at the end. Just like Bennie Boy and whats her name need the perfect time but tragically must inevitably part.

2) In a lot of ways I disagree about Benjamin's awareness level. He really seems to "float" through life, much like Forest did. Now he didn't win no ping pong tournies or meet dick nixon or go to vietnam...but he just kind of floats along. He gets a job on a ship because he went to a shipyard. He impetuously went to war and was one of the few survivors on a salvage vessel. He keeps having opportunities thrust upon him, and he keeps taking advantage of them.

He was given a fortune and a button factory. He luckily survived an attack by a fully armed sub or something (I forget)...and he was given the task of taking his shipmate's money home, kind of like Bubba's promise.

Also, he dated a famous ballerina.

The only similarity is that they both have something unusual that makes like harder for them and the film is about their life. Does that mean every film about a person's life where the people don't have disabilities is plagiarized from each other?

I understand your implication there and honestly when I made the comparison between the two movies in my head the fact that they both were shall we say 'abnormal' was not even the largest common denominator.

I would say instead that it is more the was both characters are completely at peace with life. Both Benjamin and Forest just are. Benjamin never curses himself as a child (when he appears old), or laments the fate he will endure when he's elderly (when he looks young). Forest is never angry that he's a bit dim. He can't socially comprehend anything, and he knows he's not smart, but he never cries about it. They both simply get on with it, and go where life leads them. And chase a girl. One girl. THat they can never truly 'have'..they may only enjoy a short time with her, then part.

You seem to imply that I look at the movie as alike because it's about two disabled protagonists. I would say that their disabilities do allow them a certain separation from society, so both men can act as fantastic storytellers, mostly because of their own one step removal from events that happen right under their nose. But that to me is not the biggest commonality between the two. The commonality is both characters' peace with life as it is, and their acceptance of where it leads them. They forgive those who wrong them, and embrace nearly everyone.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #170 on: February 16, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Boondock Saints....DaFoe is awesome...
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #171 on: February 16, 2010, 01:47:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Boondock Saints....DaFoe is awesome...

Check out this:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=35271.0

I watched the sqweakuel.

« Reply #172 on: February 16, 2010, 01:51:10 PM »

Offline minijericho29

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 24
Wall Street.

The sequel is coming out soon, so I had to do some refreshing.  It's been 14 years!

« Reply #173 on: February 16, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Borderline life changing

My girlfriend said the same thing. Allow me to elaborate:

1) Both stories revolve around a girl that "just isn't right, right now" for the protagonist. Ben and whoever 'meet in the middle', then tragically drift apart. Forest and Juh-Juh-Juh-Jennayyyyyyy keep having these 'almost' moments...and finally tragically only get together at the end. Just like Bennie Boy and whats her name need the perfect time but tragically must inevitably part.

2) In a lot of ways I disagree about Benjamin's awareness level. He really seems to "float" through life, much like Forest did. Now he didn't win no ping pong tournies or meet dick nixon or go to vietnam...but he just kind of floats along. He gets a job on a ship because he went to a shipyard. He impetuously went to war and was one of the few survivors on a salvage vessel. He keeps having opportunities thrust upon him, and he keeps taking advantage of them.

He was given a fortune and a button factory. He luckily survived an attack by a fully armed sub or something (I forget)...and he was given the task of taking his shipmate's money home, kind of like Bubba's promise.

Also, he dated a famous ballerina.

The only similarity is that they both have something unusual that makes like harder for them and the film is about their life. Does that mean every film about a person's life where the people don't have disabilities is plagiarized from each other?

I understand your implication there and honestly when I made the comparison between the two movies in my head the fact that they both were shall we say 'abnormal' was not even the largest common denominator.

I would say instead that it is more the was both characters are completely at peace with life. Both Benjamin and Forest just are. Benjamin never curses himself as a child (when he appears old), or laments the fate he will endure when he's elderly (when he looks young). Forest is never angry that he's a bit dim. He can't socially comprehend anything, and he knows he's not smart, but he never cries about it. They both simply get on with it, and go where life leads them. And chase a girl. One girl. THat they can never truly 'have'..they may only enjoy a short time with her, then part.

You seem to imply that I look at the movie as alike because it's about two disabled protagonists. I would say that their disabilities do allow them a certain separation from society, so both men can act as fantastic storytellers, mostly because of their own one step removal from events that happen right under their nose. But that to me is not the biggest commonality between the two. The commonality is both characters' peace with life as it is, and their acceptance of where it leads them. They forgive those who wrong them, and embrace nearly everyone.
Ok ok. I see what you're saying.

here are my answers.

I actually don't see either love story as central to those stories. I don't think it's extremely uncommon to love someone all your life or even to have the whole not there not now thing. I just feel like without the girls you still have a pretty good story in both cases. The girls are to me a common vehicle for moving stories.

There are other events I just see as coincidental. I think some of the things that happened are common to the situation or war or whatnot, like soldiers making each other promises. Or at least I'd like to think that.

I thought of the disability thing because I think it's central to how the world sees them and somewhat to how they see the world.

I give you that in a way the style of both movies is somewhat similar, but I see the characters as different. I see some of the plot points as similar now. I missed the sub vs Vietnam thing.

But I disagree with this thing about they're both at peace with everyone around them. I see what you mean, but does that mean two movies about men who are angry with everyone are plagiarized?

Grasshopper in Kung Fu also wanders and is non-judgemental and at peace. But I see the movies as totally different.

I don't know. I'm going to have to think about this more.

The movies I always say that were plagiarized were

Little Big Man
Dances with Wolves
Last Samurai

I mean there should have been copyright infringement lawsuits there

« Reply #174 on: February 16, 2010, 03:01:21 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Borderline life changing

They do have the same screenplay writer.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0744839/

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #175 on: February 16, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Borderline life changing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bXeQ7baYEE

Content:

Watchmen Extended Edition.  [dang] I wish they hadn't screwed up Ozymandias so bad.  Still like the movie and the longer cut put in some stuff I enjoyed, but it could've been so much better.

« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Ok ok. I see what you're saying.

here are my answers.

I actually don't see either love story as central to those stories. I don't think it's extremely uncommon to love someone all your life or even to have the whole not there not now thing. I just feel like without the girls you still have a pretty good story in both cases. The girls are to me a common vehicle for moving stories.

I completely disagree here. Pretty much everything the characters do revolves around a woman they can never have. That's pretty central, right?

There are other events I just see as coincidental. I think some of the things that happened are common to the situation or war or whatnot, like soldiers making each other promises. Or at least I'd like to think that.

I thought of the disability thing because I think it's central to how the world sees them and somewhat to how they see the world.

I give you that in a way the style of both movies is somewhat similar, but I see the characters as different. I see some of the plot points as similar now. I missed the sub vs Vietnam thing.

But I disagree with this thing about they're both at peace with everyone around them. I see what you mean, but does that mean two movies about men who are angry with everyone are plagiarized?

Well, I never said Forrest Gump was plagiarized either. The movies are significantly different.

They both just follow the same formula. In a technical sense I would never say Benjamin Button plagiarized Forrest Gump outright. In many ways they're completely different and special films. In a stylistic and very general sense, I'd say they're the same movie. They appeal to the same emotions, using the same triggers. Not simply movies about "people with disabilities", not simply movies about "forlorn love", not simply movies about a character who "drifts blithely and fortunately through important historical events and multiple time periods"...but two movies, about "people with disabilities that experience forlorn love and drift blithely and fortunately through important historical events and multiple time periods."

Grasshopper in Kung Fu also wanders and is non-judgemental and at peace. But I see the movies as totally different.

I don't know. I'm going to have to think about this more.

Meh, I wouldn't say totally different. A different angle on a similar outlook on life. Not even the same genre, but not completely different.

The movies I always say that were plagiarized were

Little Big Man
Dances with Wolves
Last Samurai

I mean there should have been copyright infringement lawsuits there

I've always heard that the last samurai was an uncredited remake, but I never heard of what.

« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2010, 04:02:24 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Carrie
Almost Famous
Reservation Road
Moon
The Manchurian Candidate
...I don't even know what I've mentioned on here any more. I watch too many movies. I'm about to watch A Beautiful Mind right now.

« Reply #178 on: February 16, 2010, 08:48:03 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Cars... again...
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #179 on: February 16, 2010, 08:53:54 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Beowulf
Wolverine
Princess and the Frog
Something about surrogates with Bruce Willis. Believe me I had no choice but it wasn't as terrible as I thought it'd be.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.