Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948648 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2505 on: September 05, 2017, 11:18:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Watched an 18 hour Twin Peaks movie masquerading as a season of TV.  It was a swirl cone of incredible, baffling and maddening, and I hope they make more.

« Reply #2506 on: September 06, 2017, 12:01:26 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Watched an 18 hour Twin Peaks movie masquerading as a season of TV.  It was a swirl cone of incredible, baffling and maddening, and I hope they make more.

I need to check out Twin Peaks soon.

Last night I watched Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. Usually find Tom Cruise movies entertaining. Didn't care for this one. Not nearly as good as the first one. The next movie I enjoy with Cobie Smulders will be the first.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2507 on: September 06, 2017, 01:43:36 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Last movie I watched was the Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie.

It was alright. Like many of us I'm huge fan of Snatch and in general just love the way Richie writes dialogue, but unfortunately I think he does better in smaller movies. Seeing a big budget Guy Ritchie film made it painfully obvious that the core values of the film were Richie's but many of the decisions made throughout were out of his hands.

The lead actor was forgettable especially compared to some of the stronger performances of his co-stars. The action was visually impressive but felt removed from the rest of the scenes because they overused the '300' Style slow mo stop motion. I thought Jude Law was alright but he was kind of wasted by the talent surrounding him.

Not to be a snobby critic but the film left much to be desired. I'm hoping Richie's next picture is more like his older works since I'd be surprised if studio gave him a big budget again after King Arthur.

« Reply #2508 on: September 06, 2017, 02:37:04 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Film - IMDB/Rotten Tomato - Type and Stars

Allied - 7.1/6.2 and 64% of audience liked it - WWII Spy with Brad Pitt and Marion Cottilard

Logan Lucky - 7.4/7.5 and 76% of audience liked it - Heist with Channing Tatum, Adam Driver, and Daniel Craig

Wind River - 8.1/7.6 and 93% of audience liked it - Murder mystery with Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen

Allied is an above average film, but with the talent in front and behind the camera, it should be more. In any case, it is a decent mystery worth a rental or a view. Rated R for some reason I cannot understand.

Logan Lucky is a Steven Soderbergh heist film, which he has done many times. It is different though in that it is countrified and some of the characters are over the top in a good way. Quite a lot of fun. The leads all have their turn, but Danial Craig steals his scenes. Rated PG13, but it would go over kids’ heads.

Wind River is the standout. The second best 2017 movie I have seen after Dunkirk, but with Dunkirk having an ensemble cast, Renner has a chance at a best actor Oscar. Olsen is very good too. Strong visually with good writing and acting. This can be a tough film to watch at times and has a well deserved R rating. Not for kids, young women, or a date for those in a new relationship. Good film to see in the theater.

« Reply #2509 on: September 07, 2017, 08:38:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just saw Maltese Falcon for the first time.  I can understand the high regard for the movie for its time but just found it to be a good movie personally. 

saw the latest Spiderman movie as well.  it was ok.  the character is very much a stand-alone one in the marvel universe -- the movie's repetitive link to Iron Man and the Avengers took away from the movie IMO.  a bit too much deviation from the traditional spidey powers/backstory for my tastes as well.  not sure this version of Spidey will take off as a well-regarded revival of the series.

« Reply #2510 on: November 11, 2017, 12:36:07 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Finally watched Dunkirk a few days ago. I didn't enjoy it as much as my fave war movies like The Bridge of the River Kwai, Come and See, Lawrence of Arabia (let alone Apocalypse Now), but it is obv very well done.

It should do well at the Oscars as it did well in the box office, got critical acclaim and has obvious artistic merits. Also Nolan has never won Best Director's  ;)

Also watched Nolan's Following. That was a real treat - even more impressive he did it with very little money.

« Reply #2511 on: November 11, 2017, 01:35:29 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Thor. It was funny. Continues my streak of liking villains more than heroes. Adding Hela to my list of favorites.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #2512 on: November 11, 2017, 01:39:56 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I just watched " The Last Time I Committed Suicide" with  Thomas Jane, Keanu Reeves, Adrien Brody. It held up. Just a cool little beat movie.

« Reply #2513 on: November 14, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I watched Freeway last night, from 1996 and it was awful. It was listed on Amazon as a thriller but it's more of a dark comedy. It aspires to be a satire but has no insight or maybe just doesn't know what it wants to satirize? The movie takes cheap shots at poor people and revels in violence without attaching any significance or thought.

I can't get it out of my mind, though, because after watching the film I looked it up online and was shocked to see it was well received when it came out and has a pretty good critical reputation. I find this bizarre because this was one of the worst movies I ever watched. It wanted to much to be Citizen Ruth or Natural Born Killers but wound up being a cheap (very cheap) imitation. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2514 on: November 14, 2017, 09:01:04 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I watched Freeway last night, from 1996 and it was awful. It was listed on Amazon as a thriller but it's more of a dark comedy. It aspires to be a satire but has no insight or maybe just doesn't know what it wants to satirize? The movie takes cheap shots at poor people and revels in violence without attaching any significance or thought.

I can't get it out of my mind, though, because after watching the film I looked it up online and was shocked to see it was well received when it came out and has a pretty good critical reputation. I find this bizarre because this was one of the worst movies I ever watched. It wanted to much to be Citizen Ruth or Natural Born Killers but wound up being a cheap (very cheap) imitation.

never heard of the movie before, the poster is quintessentially 90s

« Reply #2515 on: November 14, 2017, 09:02:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Thor. It was funny. Continues my streak of liking villains more than heroes. Adding Hela to my list of favorites.
saw Thor last weekend.  really enjoyed it.  had a lot more humor than other non-Deadpool Marvel movies.   

Hela looked so familiar but I couldn't quite place the face until about halfway through I thought it might be Cate Blanchett (which it was).  I thought she was absolutely fantastic as the villain. 

« Reply #2516 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I saw Alien Covenant last night. It wasn't good. It's such a pity that Fassbender's talent was waisted on such a bad movie

« Reply #2517 on: November 14, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
saw Thor last weekend.  really enjoyed it.  had a lot more humor than other non-Deadpool Marvel movies.   

Hela looked so familiar but I couldn't quite place the face until about halfway through I thought it might be Cate Blanchett (which it was).  I thought she was absolutely fantastic as the villain.
Thor was a lot of fun, helped that they focused in on the good characters from the first two and imported the Hulk in. Made it a lot more fun.

« Reply #2518 on: November 14, 2017, 10:11:50 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I couldn't even make it thru the first quarter of that Dolphins/Panthers game last night so I fired up the old Netflix.  Came across "Timecop".  Probably haven't seen that movie in at least a decade.

Hasn't really aged that well (especially in terms of special effects) but still entertaining.  Peak Van Damme. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2519 on: November 14, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Finally watched Dunkirk a few days ago. I didn't enjoy it as much as my fave war movies like The Bridge of the River Kwai, Come and See, Lawrence of Arabia (let alone Apocalypse Now), but it is obv very well done.

It should do well at the Oscars as it did well in the box office, got critical acclaim and has obvious artistic merits. Also Nolan has never won Best Director's  ;)

Also watched Nolan's Following. That was a real treat - even more impressive he did it with very little money.

Wasn't a huge Dunkirk fan either. I mean, it wasn't horrible, but I was expecting a life changing experience by the way it had been acclaimed.

Also watched Hateful 8 and 1922 on Netflix. Anything Tarantino does these days is genius - he has really grown (even though his most popular cult films are from his early days). Not quite as good as Django Unchained or Inglorious Basterds, but was very engaging for a seemingly boring movie.

1922 was eerie and interesting. I know it was just another Stephen King movie, but thought Thomas Jane did a fantastic job - barely knew it was him.