Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 945489 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2355 on: September 20, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Someone just told me suicide squad is a bigger hit than guardians of the galaxy with fans? That it earned about as much and wasn't even shown in China. Obviously fans didn't agree with the critics for the most part.

« Reply #2356 on: September 20, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I haven't seen either movie. No desire to see a talking raccoon or duck and suicide squad I think I just wanna see just so I'm not missing something in a future storyline I guess. I don't go by critics or all the people that want movies to fail . But  I just haven't been itching to see.

« Reply #2357 on: September 20, 2016, 06:17:00 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
TRAIN TO BUSAN

A surprisingly good Zombie movie that is what american filmmakers should be doing. Totally entertaining

Even had good reviews on Rotten T.

« Reply #2358 on: September 20, 2016, 07:27:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Someone just told me suicide squad is a bigger hit than guardians of the galaxy with fans? That it earned about as much and wasn't even shown in China. Obviously fans didn't agree with the critics for the most part.
It's likely made more money at this point, but there's no way Suicide Squad compares favorably with fans.  "Guardians of the Galaxy" is widely considered one of the most beloved films of this decade.   "Suicide Squad" is widely seen as a dumpster fire.  They changed a lot of "Suicide Squad" so that it would be more like "Guardians", but it was done pretty poorly.   It speaks to the draw of Harley Quinn and the Joker that it's made that much money.  Not to mention, they showed Batman in their trailer.  With Joker/Batman we're talking about arguably the two most popular fictional characters in the world. 

I will say, I went to Rose City Comiccon a couple weekends ago and it was like every other girl there dressed in the Harley Quinn rollerderby skank outfit.  I wondered how many of them actually enjoyed the movie or if they were just dressing in the rollerderby skank outfit, because it's a cool trendy costume.  Side note:  A handful of them were barefoot.  Apparently the boots that come with the Harley Quinn costume are pretty painful to walk around a comiccon with all day.

If you're into Sci Fi action flicks, definitely watch "Guardians of the Galaxy".   They used to make more movies like that... fun sci fi movies with a sense of humor.  MOvies like "Fifth Element" come to mind.   It's one of my favorite movies of the past 10 years and in my opinion the best of all the Marvel movies.  I had kept saying, "If the new Star Wars movie is 80% as good as Guardians, we'll be fine."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:49:49 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2359 on: September 20, 2016, 07:35:09 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Saw "The Hunt for the Wilderpeople" last night (98% rottentomatoes/81 on Metacritic).

It's terrific:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tICv8QH3oM0

Really fun movie.  One of my favorites of the year.

Taika Waititi has made some really great movies.   "What we do in the Shadows" was hilarious.  "Boy" is on Netflix if anyone wants to check it out - apparently it's like the most popular movie ever in New Zealand.   Oddly enough, he's directing the next "Thor" movie.  I hope he's allowed to make a Taika Waititi film featuring Thor as opposed to a Thor movie being directed by Taika Waititi.  His sense of humor needs to be in it.  I'm cautiously optimistic, because they released this little short he directed about what Thor was doing during the events of "Captain America: Civil War":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPNBKT6JLSU ... It doesn't need to be THAT comical, but they better allow it to be funny.  It sounds like the movie will basically be a buddy adventure movie with Hulk and Thor traveling through space.  I can't wait. 

Anyways... check out "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" if it's playing at a theater near you.  It's a ton of fun.

« Reply #2360 on: September 24, 2016, 03:18:47 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
It's likely made more money at this point, but there's no way Suicide Squad compares favorably with fans.  "Guardians of the Galaxy" is widely considered one of the most beloved films of this decade.   "Suicide Squad" is widely seen as a dumpster fire.  They changed a lot of "Suicide Squad" so that it would be more like "Guardians", but it was done pretty poorly.   It speaks to the draw of Harley Quinn and the Joker that it's made that much money.  Not to mention, they showed Batman in their trailer.  With Joker/Batman we're talking about arguably the two most popular fictional characters in the world. 

I will say, I went to Rose City Comiccon a couple weekends ago and it was like every other girl there dressed in the Harley Quinn rollerderby skank outfit.  I wondered how many of them actually enjoyed the movie or if they were just dressing in the rollerderby skank outfit, because it's a cool trendy costume.  Side note:  A handful of them were barefoot.  Apparently the boots that come with the Harley Quinn costume are pretty painful to walk around a comiccon with all day.

If you're into Sci Fi action flicks, definitely watch "Guardians of the Galaxy".   They used to make more movies like that... fun sci fi movies with a sense of humor.  MOvies like "Fifth Element" come to mind.   It's one of my favorite movies of the past 10 years and in my opinion the best of all the Marvel movies.  I had kept saying, "If the new Star Wars movie is 80% as good as Guardians, we'll be fine."

The fans disagree with you. The numbers prove it. Sorry. I have no desire to see a talking raccoon or tree. I heard Howard the duck too. I just can't. But I don't dig campy. 

« Reply #2361 on: September 24, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I didn't enjoy the 5th element either. There's nothing wrong with campy. It's just not my thing.

« Reply #2362 on: September 24, 2016, 03:23:41 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I saw" Redemption " on Netflix. I'm usually not a big fan of Jason Statham movies but wife wanted to check it out. It was decent. It felt a little long. No idea if it ever appeared in theatres.

« Reply #2363 on: September 24, 2016, 04:42:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

The fans disagree with you. The numbers prove it. Sorry. I have no desire to see a talking raccoon or tree. I heard Howard the duck too. I just can't. But I don't dig campy.
for the most part the fans hate it.  There's always going to be some diehard fanboys who love it in spite of it being arguably the worst movie of the year. You could film cosplayers play-fighting for two hours, throw it out their for mass consumption, and the fanboys will find reasons to love it.  The numbers mean nothing.  Every transformers movie makes more money than the DC films - it doesn't mean people love those movies.  People went to suicide squad for joker/Harley Quinn and left disappointed. 

Anyways, guardians of the galaxy isn't for everyone, but it's pretty great.  It's significantly better than Suicide Squad.  It's not even close.  If you aren't a fan of camp you most certainly would hate suicide squad.  The talking raccoon is 10x more believable and realistic than the shallow ridiculous one-dimensional characters in suicide squad.  The raccoon is actually a fully fleshed out character. 

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:53:20 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2364 on: September 24, 2016, 05:19:46 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Naw. It made too much money, dude. You're way off. It's obvious you really hate the movie.  But it's over. Good news is you don't have to see it again. Everything is going to be ok. Lol

« Reply #2365 on: September 24, 2016, 05:24:29 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

for the most part the fans hate it.  There's always going to be some diehard fanboys who love it in spite of it being arguably the worst movie of the year. You could film cosplayers play-fighting for two hours, throw it out their for mass consumption, and the fanboys will find reasons to love it.  The numbers mean nothing.  Every transformers movie makes more money than the DC films - it doesn't mean people love those movies.  People went to suicide squad for joker/Harley Quinn and left disappointed. 

Anyways, guardians of the galaxy isn't for everyone, but it's pretty great.  It's significantly better than Suicide Squad.  It's not even close.  If you aren't a fan of camp you most certainly would hate suicide squad.  The talking raccoon is 10x more believable and realistic than the shallow ridiculous one-dimensional characters in suicide squad.  The raccoon is actually a fully fleshed out character.

I know you're trying to get across how much you hate it . Mission accomplished . But a talking raccoon 10 times more believable.. hahaha. You don't have to make such ridiculous statements. You're opinion is long ago recognized. I know it really angers some fans of marvel movies that anything DC is successful but it's not a threat. Marvel is family friendly camp and is a great success.

« Reply #2366 on: September 24, 2016, 07:31:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Naw. It made too much money, dude. You're way off. It's obvious you really hate the movie.  But it's over. Good news is you don't have to see it again. Everything is going to be ok. Lol
lol why are you even talking about it?  You have not seen either movie.  Your opinion on it is worthless.  Either trust me when I say suicide squad is garbage, or remove yourself from ignorance, watch the movie, and form a legitimate opinion. 

I bet you a dozen tommy points if you watch guardians of the Galaxy and suicide squad, it will be abundantly clear to you that guardians is a superior and far more entertaining movie.   It's not like one is more "adult" than the other.  Suicide Squad is a campy cartoonish mess.  You clearly aren't a huge comic fan so you're not going to have a pro-DC bias going into it.  I really find it unfathomable that someone with half a brain and no bias would prefer Squad to Guardians.  It really isn't possible.

It's like comparing Blake Griffin to Jordan Mickey.   You might not love Blake but it's abundantly clear one is vastly superior to the other.  Sure, you mind find a complete homer who would swear Jordan mickey is better, but for someone without bias to make that claim they'd basically have to defy all human logic.

« Reply #2367 on: September 24, 2016, 07:43:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I know you're trying to get across how much you hate it . Mission accomplished . But a talking raccoon 10 times more believable.. hahaha.

Yea dude.  The talking raccoon is 10x more believable as a character than the super ninja stripper clown that adores her drug lord abuser in "Squad".  Nothing in squad makes any logical sense.  It's a complete brainfart of a movie.  None of the motivations have any logic.  All of the characters are shallow and one dimensional.   They don't live in any kind of reality that is recognizable.  It was easier to believe the talking raccoon would exist than any of the characters in squad.  I'm not saying that as hyperbole.  When you get past the whole gene splicing and "alien" thing (which FYI is a massive freaking park of squad as well) the talking raccoon actually has motivations and behaviors that reflect a fully formed character.  Aside from the fact he looks like a raccoon, there's nothing all that unusual about him... it's not like he can shoot fire out of his hands or anything.  Compare that character to the dancing contorting evil sorcerous witch alien lady that wants to rando destroy the world in Squad, there's no comparison to which one allows you to suspend disbelief. 

But again, you haven't seen either movie so you will just have to accept that I'm right.  Also, since you seem to equate financial success with quality, I suggest you exclusively switch to eating Big Macs every day and go out and watch the last two Transformers sequels (27% and 15% on rotten tomatoes).  Those two turds both cleared over 1 billion dollars each... Something none of the equally terrible DC movies has yet accomplished despite having the most iconic fictional characters in the world saturating their marketing.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:59:49 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2368 on: September 25, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Lol. I can't believe someone could write so much about something they dislike. Gotcha talking raccoon. Check. Way to much to bother reading. I know you feel you need to be right about stuff. So you can be right. Even if you're wrong. Everything will be fine.

« Reply #2369 on: September 25, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Lol. I can't believe someone could write so much about something they dislike. Gotcha talking raccoon. Check. Way to much to bother reading. I know you feel you need to be right about stuff. So you can be right. Even if you're wrong. Everything will be fine.
dude. Go watch suicide squad while it is still scamming people in theaters.  Then join me in the class action.   We are suing for false advertising, time lost, mental anguish, and pain and suffering of having to sit through the movie.  They have also caused irreparable damage to beloved iconic characters.  It took Christopher Nolan to clean up the mess Joel Schumacher made and now we are right back to square one.  The people demand more than just soulless cash grabs.  It's time we took a stand against the Hollywood machine.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:20:26 PM by LarBrd33 »