Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948846 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2340 on: August 08, 2016, 09:48:39 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Suicide Squad is pulling a 76% audience rating and is pulling in a ton of money. Could be another situation where a movie that is technically terrible, but still entertaining to the right audience. A lot of Adam Sandler movies are that way.
No.  It's minimally entertaining at best.  If this had been the first movie you'd seen in 20 years, you might find the generic CGI action semi-entertaining.  Beyond that, it's a bore.   That audience score is nonsense.  All audience scores are completely useless for a variety of reasons.   It's best to ignore them.  Look to critical consensus for an idea of how appealing the movie is to a broad audience.

If you got 1000 random people, forced them to sit through this, and asked them to review the movie, I'd guess it would have something like 26%.

Well thats a bunch of BS. We have a croup of artist and toy sellers that go to the movie to promote local shows and our selves set up at the movies. I was only there Thurs and Firday, and saw the movie on Thurs. Good amount of laughter during the showing I was at, and some even clapped once it was over. I was watching people come out and on the most they had smiles on their faces talking about the movie. I could see a 70 to 80% of people that liked it. I probably talked to a bit over 100 people who came over to my table and maybe a handful didn't like it, most thought it was good but had it's issues, and some loved it.

I usually make a print on the movie we are setting up for. Never sold more than 5 for a weekend. I had a Harley Quinn print made up, I did 10 thinking it would be fine, sold 8 for the one showing they had. Printed up 20 for Friday, and sold 15. Most of the sales were after the movie. I  did a Rey print for Star Wars and a Batman/Superman/WonderWoman print for their respected shows and I double both combined for Suicide Squad.

The other two guys said they had mostly positive responses with who they were talking to,( yes some were the same), but we saw it together, and really liked it with it's flaws, and even bounced in for the last 20 mins of the last showing on Firday because we missed the mid credit scene and it was still fun to watch knowing what was going to happen.

It was good not great, loved the characters for the most part. I think they have something solid to jump off of for the sequel.
sounds about right. A movie can be a "garbage film" and still be entertaining.

TP.

Actually, it's not right.   It sounds like Sketch5 went with a biased group of toy sellers who were interested enough in this film to see it opening weekend... and even then only 70% of them enjoyed the film (based on Sketch5's guesstimate).

Now consider what a general audience would think of it?   26% would enjoy it (based on the RT consensus).   If everyone scored it from 1-100 and they averaged out the score, it would end up about 40 out of 100 (based on the metacritic consensus).   

That said, a movie can absolutely be a "garbage film" and still be entertaining.  This wasn't really one of them, though.   Most people will think it sucks and will find the whole ordeal boring and aggravating.

Yeah, you need to read a bit better. I sat with two of the 8 people that were vending at the movies. But All three of us liked it and I was surprised by one because he hadn't really liked BvS and only watched one trailer, so he was the least bias out of the three of us. But everyone working the show like the movie.

The 70 TO 80% were the regular audience.  And it was a mix of Comic fans, people they dragged along and comic movie fans. It was more positive than negative. The weirdest one was three people wanting a refund after 15 minutes because they didn't know there would be so much witchcraft. But the killing was cool.

Several people who don't know the comics but were with people who were actually liked it. Yes there are people who didn't like it, not everyone should, but there is enough good in this movie that it's hard to see be labeled as garbage. Some issues with the script and editing? Yea those high uppers at WB have been fired because they screwed around with Ayer and Snyders movies.

I had people who weren't fans grab a print and I ended up sending them over to the guy selling Harlely Quinn and Suicide Squad graphic novels. I had a older woman come over and she new nothing about the movie, but hit the theater every few weeks and would watch two movies. She had just scene Star Trek, Loved it, and after she got out of Suicide Squad came over and gave me a thumbs up with a big smile. So it's hitting a lot of different types of people. And new fans are good. They put the cheese in my pocket and I'm all for new blood.

You can keep you metrics and rating systems, I'll go with what I experienced.

« Reply #2341 on: August 08, 2016, 10:18:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
When I heard that the name of a film was going to be 'Suicide Squad', I thought that it was going to be about the einsatzgruppen, or something.  Never in a million years would I have linked such a movie with Superman, or whatever it's supposed to be.  I've never followed any of those series, whether on film or TV, never mind comic books :-\, so yeah, not interested.  And LarBrd33, the girl's name is Margot Robbie.  Surely you remember her from The Wolf of Wall Street, right ;), lol ;D?

Yeah I totally remember.   Her role in that was a less degrading than this one - in spite of the fact she spent most of "Wolf of Wall Street" as a naked play thing.    At least in that one, her character had some development and had an arc.

Ironically, I'm now picturing Woody ;) ;D, from Toy Story, saying, "you are a naked play thing!" lol ;D.

« Reply #2342 on: August 15, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I wanted "Sausage Party" to be funnier than it was.  I'd compare it to watching Bob Saget's overly dirty stand-up comedy.  The premise is entertaining for a minute or two, but eventually it runs its course. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:52:57 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #2343 on: August 15, 2016, 06:57:14 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I saw Suicide Squad twice, and it honestly underperformed my expectations. I'm really easy on movies, so I wouldn't categorize it as BAD, per se. At no point did it lose my interest, but it just wasn't good. It was well acted, the effects were appealing to me (avid movie watcher with no credentials), and the camera angles/cuts caught your attention, but the story was very slipshod. There was zero character development from anyone, half of the characters had no background info, and for some characters the audience was given no information at all.

My mom, who saw it with me the first time and loves going to the movies, said it reminded her of a Michael Bay film. It was eye candy, but the story was non-existent. The audience didn't have enough character info to CARE at all.

I read a story on Reddit that talked about some of the cuts from the DC higher-ups, and I think they really screwed the pooch on it. Things such as spoliers beginning background on Killer Croc, with his upbringing and how he thought he was "beautiful in his own way," in a similar way to Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy; Diablo with his sob story; Harley Quinn, specifically the psychological battering she took in her love/hate relationship with the Joker and a moment of growth where she spurns him for the Squad; Captain Boomerang, with more background, emotional investment from the audience, and comical relief; The Dr. Moon/Flag relationship with dates, dialogue, and a different opening of the movie that shows Dr. moon wandering through the jungle and discovering the witch; and that just names a few. I think DC really screwed the pooch here by trying to focus too much of the intro/story arc on Will Smith and his daughter. Ironically enough, I think DC tried too hard to copy the Marvel model (specifically GotG) because of the "depressing" reviews that BvS got and ended up straying too far away from what the movie was about- a dark, alluring squad of bad guys that are still bad guys in the end but who somehow keep your eyes glued to the screen. By trying to frame them as good while limiting their characters to caricatures of bad, and then throwing them back in jail to end the movie, the movie was just too inconsistent to be great, which I think it really could have.

« Reply #2344 on: August 15, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I saw Suicide Squad twice, and it honestly underperformed my expectations. I'm really easy on movies, so I wouldn't categorize it as BAD, per se. At no point did it lose my interest, but it just wasn't good. It was well acted, the effects were appealing to me (avid movie watcher with no credentials), and the camera angles/cuts caught your attention, but the story was very slipshod. There was zero character development from anyone, half of the characters had no background info, and for some characters the audience was given no information at all.

My mom, who saw it with me the first time and loves going to the movies, said it reminded her of a Michael Bay film. It was eye candy, but the story was non-existent. The audience didn't have enough character info to CARE at all.

I read a story on Reddit that talked about some of the cuts from the DC higher-ups, and I think they really screwed the pooch on it. Things such as spoliers beginning background on Killer Croc, with his upbringing and how he thought he was "beautiful in his own way," in a similar way to Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy; Diablo with his sob story;Harley Quinn, specifically the psychological battering she took in her love/hate relationship with the Joker and a moment of growth where she spurns him for the Squad; Captain Boomerang, with more background, emotional investment from the audience, and comical relief; and that just names a few. I think DC really screwed the pooch here by trying to focus too much of the intro/story arc on Will Smith and his daughter. Ironically enough, I think DC tried too hard to copy the Marvel model (specifically GotG) because of the "depressing" reviews that BvS got and ended up straying too far away from what the movie was about, a dark, alluring squad of bad guys that are still bad guys in the end.
Yeah.  My main problem was just how generic and boring it was.  The hamfisted music selections.  The poor character development.  The shockly acting.  The entire premise was moronic.  The girl in this hilarious video sums it well:  https://youtu.be/PMNFaAUs2mo

I gave you a TP for suffering through that trainwreck twice.

I have since learned that the actual premise behind "Suicide Squad" in the comics makes a lot more sense.  They send them on covert and sensitive international missions that the United States Government can't be implicated in.   That's now what happens in the movie, though (see above video for how pants-on-head stupid it is).

« Reply #2345 on: August 28, 2016, 01:21:33 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTSqgJPVl8

RATED R

recommend for Joker fans

« Reply #2346 on: August 28, 2016, 04:37:58 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Anyone seen BenHur yet?. Has it lived up somehow to the original?

Last movie I saw last nite is Now You See Me 2. Its a Weh movie for me.

« Reply #2347 on: August 28, 2016, 04:59:00 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Anyone seen BenHur yet?. Has it lived up somehow to the original?

Last movie I saw last nite is Now You See Me 2. Its a Weh movie for me.
Ben Hur got awful reviews.  I'm skipping it.

Saw "War Dogs" last night.  It's a bit of a wannabe movie.  It wants to be a better movie than it is.  Similar in style to movies like "Wolf of Wall Street" or "Boiler Room" or even "Goodfellas" where it's a narrator telling his story, you see the young guys who make it big in a shady way, have some debauched celebrations, and it inevitably comes crashing down.  It hits all the same familiar cliched beats.  It's just not as sharp.  Some of it is handled sloppy.  The beats don't hit as hard.  The movie also seems to think it's making some kind of important statement (similar to "The Big Short"), but it falls a little flat.   I was entertained for the most part, but it was a pretty mediocre film.

« Reply #2348 on: September 06, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm not sure I've ever decided to see a movie because of a critic opinion. Good or bad. I can't believe someone would trust a critic that much. Some horrendously boring movies have been Oscar winners of Oscar " bait" . Bait, Ofcourse meaning catering to the specific demographic that decide what will be an Oscar contender.

« Reply #2349 on: September 06, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Vacation.  The new one. Was surprised at how funny it is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2350 on: September 06, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
finally saw Batman vs Superman this weekend as a rental. 

Wasn't the greatest superhero movie but better than I expected after seeing the commentary here.  Thought Affleck did a credible job as Batman.  Thought Eisenberg was a bit over the top as Lex and the trouble I had with the movie was buying into the motivation behind making Superman a villain.  I get it to a point but I thought they really reached for it.

also, Gal Gadot is no Lynda Carter.

also saw the remake of Point Break.  awful movie, which I expected, but have to admit the stunt work was first rate.  less plot than the original and the cast/acting was god awful

« Reply #2351 on: September 16, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

I read a story on Reddit that talked about some of the cuts from the DC higher-ups, and I think they really screwed the pooch on it. Things such as spoliers beginning background on Killer Croc, with his upbringing and how he thought he was "beautiful in his own way," in a similar way to Drax in Guardians of the Galaxy; Diablo with his sob story;Harley Quinn, specifically the psychological battering she took in her love/hate relationship with the Joker and a moment of growth where she spurns him for the Squad; Captain Boomerang, with more background, emotional investment from the audience, and comical relief; and that just names a few. I think DC really screwed the pooch here by trying to focus too much of the intro/story arc on Will Smith and his daughter. Ironically enough, I think DC tried too hard to copy the Marvel model (specifically GotG) because of the "depressing" reviews that BvS got and ended up straying too far away from what the movie was about, a dark, alluring squad of bad guys that are still bad guys in the end.
Yeah.  My main problem was just how generic and boring it was.  The hamfisted music selections.  The poor character development.  The shockly acting.  The entire premise was moronic.  The girl in this hilarious video sums it well:  https://youtu.be/PMNFaAUs2mo

I gave you a TP for suffering through that trainwreck twice.

I have since learned that the actual premise behind "Suicide Squad" in the comics makes a lot more sense.  They send them on covert and sensitive international missions that the United States Government can't be implicated in.   That's now what happens in the movie, though (see above video for how pants-on-head stupid it is).

I still haven't seen suicide squad but hopefully soon. Loved mos and BVS.

« Reply #2352 on: September 16, 2016, 03:36:52 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I'm not expecting to like it as much though due to hearing the studio chopped this one too.

« Reply #2353 on: September 16, 2016, 03:39:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Anyone see Hardcore Henry in 3d? I wanted to, forgot to, now I want to again.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2354 on: September 16, 2016, 03:46:52 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Sausage Party. Not going to be most peoples cup of tea. Decent commentary on society and existential topics, as well as its tackle on religion.

A lot of dirty (and I mean very dirty) humor. Tons of XXX themes.

Overall I would say it is worth a watch if you can look past the stupidity of some of the actions. The deeper content is really well done.

PS- Don't think less of my Csblog for this post lol. A few buddies and my gf and I watched it and it has a decent point to make.
#JKJB