Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 956288 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2250 on: March 29, 2016, 11:21:55 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ex machina

Highly recommended

« Reply #2251 on: March 29, 2016, 02:22:06 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Spotlight - Haven't watched The Revenant yet, but of the other best picture nominees I've seen (Bridge of Spies, The Martian. Mad Max Fury Road (how this snuck in beats me), and The Big Short, this would have been the one I would have picked (over The Big Short). Tough to watch story about the last great investigation by an American newspaper. At the end, they list all the places outside of Boston that were infected. Pretty stunning. Mitchell Garabedian just won another settlement from the RC Church yesterday, so it's still topical.

The Big Short - I have a lot of experience with this issue and this movie does as good a job as possible tackling a very hard to understand issue for laymen. Still spent a lot of time walking my wife through what was happening though. The blond in the bathtub scene is important because the impetus for the greatest financial disaster of our time was Wall Street's voracious demand for mortgage loans to package into derivatives, slap a bogus AAA rating on these mortgage-backed-securities, and sell them all over the world. Except Wall Street ran out of good loans to sell and didn't know it. The movie also gives lie to the conservative narrative that it was enforced lending to minorities that was the cause of the crisis. A despicable lie to cover up the inability of capitalism to regulate itself, though there are plenty of parties that share the blame.  (Just to be balanced, Dodd-Franks is a POS, and a vote against the bailout like Sanders' ideological knee-jerk response against Wall Street would have been cratered the economy to Great Depression levels.)

Bridge of Spies - Very good movie, though not in the class of the two above. Hanks, the Coen brothers, Spielberg - how wrong can you go? Mark Rylance deservedly won best supporting actor. Far easier to digest than the other two movies above.

« Reply #2252 on: March 29, 2016, 02:27:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Guns of the Magnificent 7 last night. It was ok.

« Reply #2253 on: March 29, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Ex machina

Highly recommended

Really dug this one.

Not gonna lie, rewatched Batman Forever this weekend.... Wow....I really don't know what to say about it. It was such a big part of my childhood and rewatching just seemed so....I cant even express words. Carrey was way too over the top. Tommy Lee Jones should have killed two face but his performance was way too over the top. Val Kilmer really wasn't all that terrible as a batman but the whole story line with him and Kidman right off the bat just took up way too much of the plot/story. The whole brain waves from the tv thing was just way too far fetched.

I really don't know what to say other than I wish Burton had made the trilogy as it was originally planned.

« Reply #2254 on: March 29, 2016, 04:00:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Ex machina

Highly recommended

Really dug this one.

Not gonna lie, rewatched Batman Forever this weekend.... Wow....I really don't know what to say about it. It was such a big part of my childhood and rewatching just seemed so....I cant even express words. Carrey was way too over the top. Tommy Lee Jones should have killed two face but his performance was way too over the top. Val Kilmer really wasn't all that terrible as a batman but the whole story line with him and Kidman right off the bat just took up way too much of the plot/story. The whole brain waves from the tv thing was just way too far fetched.

I really don't know what to say other than I wish Burton had made the trilogy as it was originally planned.
That Batman was absolutely the worst Batman. Worse than the Clooney one

« Reply #2255 on: April 05, 2016, 10:46:31 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFjg3oNxaJ4

jus watched..

it was pretty cool..

*sippin*

« Reply #2256 on: April 05, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The Martian, felt it was too much like Gravity meets Castaway.

« Reply #2257 on: April 06, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Saw Amazing Grace and Chuck again on TV.  It is on my list of favorites.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2258 on: April 06, 2016, 06:12:46 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Took the fam to see Zootopia.  It well exceeded my expectations.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2259 on: May 05, 2016, 10:56:26 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!

AJIN - Demi-Human

Anime Fans Will Love It

« Reply #2260 on: May 05, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Ex machina

Highly recommended

Really dug this one.

That Batman was absolutely the worst Batman. Worse than the Clooney one
have to disagree there.  the Clooney one was the worst.  only movie I ever walked out of before it ended.  absolutely god-awful

« Reply #2261 on: May 05, 2016, 07:04:16 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!

With the aid of a fellow Auschwitz survivor and a hand-written letter, an elderly man with dementia goes in search of the person responsible for the death of his family.

must watch

« Reply #2262 on: May 06, 2016, 04:02:29 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Alright, I just got back from the early premiere of Captain America: Civil War, and I'll summarize it in one sentence: It's the best MCU movie to date. Yet again, Marvel outdid themselves in this one. It's the longest MCU movie but you will never be bored and you will want to know what happens next. The reason why Marvel brings out good movies in their universe is they bring a whole new meaning to superheroes in their stories. It's true that not every single one of their movies has been good, but they have shown that they care about their material that they release. Civil War had phenomenal action, great humor, realistic consequences and will keep you on the edge of your seat. What's very impressive is that they have so many characters that they have to work with but they all cohesively fit together in the story. Nobody feels forced into the story (well maybe Hawkeye but it's explained why he's there) and the plot moves along swiftly. There are even a few twists in there that made me gasp. They also expand the universe but I felt they did it in a seamless way rather than a shove-it-in-your-face way like they have with the past movies.

Oh and for you Spider-Man fans who haven't seen it yet, I assure you. Tom Holland was a GREAT choice and Marvel clearly knows what they going to do with the web-slinger

Go see Captain America: Civil War ASAP. It is well worth your time and money. Here's my ranking of the MCU movies. Feel obliged to disagree if you do and to answer your question, yes, I'm kind of a nerd.

1. Captain America: Civil War
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
3. The Avengers
4. Iron Man
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. The Avengers: Age of Ultron
7. Ant-Man
8. Captain America: The First Avenger
9. Iron Man 3
10. Thor
11. Thor: The Dark World
12. The Incredible Hulk
13. Iron Man 2

I will say that I don't think any of these movies are flat-out awful, but the lower tier ones I felt could have been better. The first 5 IMO rank amongst the best superhero movies of all time.

« Reply #2263 on: May 06, 2016, 05:02:30 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Batman v superman. Loved it.

« Reply #2264 on: May 06, 2016, 07:10:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

With the aid of a fellow Auschwitz survivor and a hand-written letter, an elderly man with dementia goes in search of the person responsible for the death of his family.

must watch

Yea, I enjoyed that movie too. I was a bit hesitant to watch a movie where the two leading actors were in their mid-80s but I was happy I did. Good movie.