Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948642 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2160 on: August 09, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Trainwreck.

For those of you who are looking for an intellectual, thoughtful and well-rounded movie, this isn't it. But it was hysterical and LeBron was surprisingly good.

Mike

« Reply #2161 on: August 09, 2015, 10:28:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
My Old Lady.   A writer who has lost everything finds that his estranged father has left him an apartment in Paris.  With his last dollar, he goes to Paris to claim it.  He finds that his father's elderly  lover lives in the apartment, and, under French law, she is entitled to remain until her death.  She is British and has a school which teaches the French to speak English.

This is a story of two self involved people whose business is communication, and how neither has any idea of the other's story, or how to bridge the gap...despite being civilized. Communication Fail?  Excellent movie.  Maggie Smith was the old lady...I have never seen her in a bad performance.
This movie sounds interesting.

I see it is on Amazon instant video. Maybe I'll check it out.

« Reply #2162 on: August 25, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just saw Dumb and Dumber To. 

I know, low expectations for this movie were to be expected.  the previews looked dumb (well, I suppose that would be a 'duh' considering the title) but I recorded it off HBO figuring, eh, I liked the first so how bad could this one be since it's done by the Farrelly Brothers who I really like.

DEAR GOD, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, AVOID THIS MOVIE LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!!

My opinion of the Farrelly Brothers has dropped so much that I have gone from being a borderline fanboy to seriously doubting I'll watch another one of their movies again.  No wonder Jeff Daniels looked miserable doing the promo/talk show tour for this bomb.

I think this is in my top 3 of all-time horrendous sequels ever.
1. Caddyshack II
2. Predator II
3. Dumb and Dumber To

Rant Over.

« Reply #2163 on: August 25, 2015, 11:12:23 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Coherence. It's on Amazon for free.

For those of you who like mystery, thriller, and a little sci-fi (no aliens) then this is for you.

Apparently it gained a solid cult following and people like to watch it multiple times since it has so many little twists.

I suggest watching and then looking up the directors Q+A on yahoo questions. Movie was awesome but reading what how the director did it all made it.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #2164 on: August 26, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
My Old Lady.   A writer who has lost everything finds that his estranged father has left him an apartment in Paris.  With his last dollar, he goes to Paris to claim it.  He finds that his father's elderly  lover lives in the apartment, and, under French law, she is entitled to remain until her death.  She is British and has a school which teaches the French to speak English.

This is a story of two self involved people whose business is communication, and how neither has any idea of the other's story, or how to bridge the gap...despite being civilized. Communication Fail?  Excellent movie.  Maggie Smith was the old lady...I have never seen her in a bad performance.
This movie sounds interesting.

I see it is on Amazon instant video. Maybe I'll check it out.
Have you seen it?  What did you think?
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2165 on: August 26, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »

Offline Rickretro

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6

« Reply #2166 on: August 26, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ex_machina/

I can't wait to watch this.

The last movie I watched was Girl Most Likely.  Not Kristen Wiig's best work, to say the least.  Though I think it was really just a bad script.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2167 on: August 27, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I recently saw Straight Outta Compton and I thought it was very good
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #2168 on: September 08, 2015, 07:03:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I just saw Pitch Perfect 2.

Is it wrong to be in tears in the final performance?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2169 on: September 08, 2015, 07:16:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Most recently watched Ex Machina and All About Me.

All About Me was especially fascinating because I've spent a significant amount of time around a couple of people who have borderline personality disorder (not formally diagnosed, but all the hallmarks are there), and it's a really harrowing experience that the movie captures in some pretty profound ways.

Ex Machina was great.  Turned out to be a bit different than I expected.  Went in thinking it'd be kind of an updated meditation on AI with some 2001 A Space Odyssey type moments in it.  Turned out it's more of a feminist parable.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2170 on: September 11, 2015, 08:53:20 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Ex Machina was great, and it definitely had some feminist/gender themes (though an MRA type could easily just say it's a cautionary tale about getting friendzoned  :D).  But what I really liked were all the Blade Runner parallels.  It really felt like a spiritual prequel of sorts.

Finally saw Mad Max and it was as fun as everyone says.  One of the best pure action movies I've seen in a long time.

« Reply #2171 on: September 11, 2015, 12:33:33 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Most recently watched Ex Machina and All About Me.

All About Me was especially fascinating because I've spent a significant amount of time around a couple of people who have borderline personality disorder (not formally diagnosed, but all the hallmarks are there), and it's a really harrowing experience that the movie captures in some pretty profound ways.

Ex Machina was great.  Turned out to be a bit different than I expected.  Went in thinking it'd be kind of an updated meditation on AI with some 2001 A Space Odyssey type moments in it.  Turned out it's more of a feminist parable.

Yeah I really enjoyed Ex Machina as well and it was definitely a lot different that I was expecting as well. Solid story, solid acting, trippy sci-fi thriller stuff is always great. This was just done in a different way that was really thought provoking and entertaining.

« Reply #2172 on: September 11, 2015, 02:04:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Ex Machina was great, and it definitely had some feminist/gender themes (though an MRA type could easily just say it's a cautionary tale about getting friendzoned  :D).  But what I really liked were all the Blade Runner parallels.  It really felt like a spiritual prequel of sorts.

Yeah.  What was so interesting about Blade Runner is the way it suggests a twist on Clarke's Third Law -- "Any sufficiently advanced android is indistinguishable from a human being." 

Ex Machina takes that a step further and suggests that if an android were indistinguishable from a human being, then that android would be subject to the same gender distinctions, absurdities, manipulations, and oppression as human beings. 

It's ironic in a way, because it's saying that an android advanced enough to be seen as human would, if they present as female, by the same token be reduced to an object by the human perceiving them as such, because of our gender politics.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2173 on: September 11, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »

Offline celtic -_- pride

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 60
  • Stuff & Things
Just recently rewatched Interstellar(great on bluray) No Country for Old Men as well. Can't wait to see Black Mass in theaters.
[img width= height=]http://s7.postimg.org/jsyw5qrez/banner.jpg[/img]

« Reply #2174 on: September 11, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Yeah.  What was so interesting about Blade Runner is the way it suggests a twist on Clarke's Third Law -- "Any sufficiently advanced android is indistinguishable from a human being." 

Ex Machina takes that a step further and suggests that if an android were indistinguishable from a human being, then that android would be subject to the same gender distinctions, absurdities, manipulations, and oppression as human beings. 

It's ironic in a way, because it's saying that an android advanced enough to be seen as human would, if they present as female, by the same token be reduced to an object by the human perceiving them as such, because of our gender politics.

That's part of it but I was at least as interested in the other side of the coin - an artificial intelligence deliberately and systematically exploiting those tendencies to get what it wanted.  By the end of the movie, it's the humans being treated as objects to achieve the AI's ends, then discarded when no longer needed.

There was some excellent camera work and framing that conveyed the change over the course of the week - something I only noticed the second time around was that in the first couple of sessions Ava and Caleb interact with the "glass" wall enclosing Ava and Caleb in open space.  When the power dynamic starts to shift, there are shots that are set up identically, but subtly altered so that Caleb appears to be the one who's stuck on the inside.  Which of course is a great visual cue setting up their complete role reversal at the end.  A lot of late shots mirror early shots in similar ways.  Just beautifully done overall.