Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 945352 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1785 on: January 02, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Prometheus.  It wasn't fantastic

i saw this recently and LOVED it.

I thought that it could have used a little fleshing out.  I'd call it good, but it could have been great.

I just don't understand all of the "one of the worst movies of the year" comments I saw.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1786 on: January 05, 2013, 05:59:10 AM »

Kiorrik

Les Miserables.  Still not sure if I liked the live singing.  Definitely made it more like being there, but it takes away a lot of the vocal quality and when you are already dealing with actors and not singers that quality would have been useful.  Some of the actors were much better than others at the singing.  Hathaway and Barks, for example, were awesome, but Crowe was really awkward.  Overall a very strong adaptation and worth seeing.
Indeed. Crowe was nasal and very ... boring. Didn't put much feeling into it. His only redeeming factor is that his character is pretty much >him<.

Even Hugh Jackman had some scenes/songs where he was a bit nasal, but man, he really did a great job in the opening 15.

Hathaway blew, me, away. Ridiculously good. Same goes for Barks.

« Reply #1787 on: January 05, 2013, 06:06:35 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Prometheus.  It wasn't fantastic

i saw this recently and LOVED it.

I thought that it could have used a little fleshing out.  I'd call it good, but it could have been great.

I just don't understand all of the "one of the worst movies of the year" comments I saw.
Loved Prometheus ... very cool that Ridley Scott got back into the Alien "theme", and I loved that it had parallels to that Universe, included similar themes and perspectives, but also stood on it's own, with a similar but updated flavor. A very unusual thing to pull off successfully, IMO, and something rarely attempted in film for those reasons. I've watched it a few times now, and keep getting new moods from it, and can't wait for the sequel.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1788 on: January 05, 2013, 06:11:58 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
TED - Really slow start, picked up and was fun towards the end.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #1789 on: January 05, 2013, 06:14:49 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Les Miserables.  Still not sure if I liked the live singing.  Definitely made it more like being there, but it takes away a lot of the vocal quality and when you are already dealing with actors and not singers that quality would have been useful.  Some of the actors were much better than others at the singing.  Hathaway and Barks, for example, were awesome, but Crowe was really awkward.  Overall a very strong adaptation and worth seeing.
Indeed. Crowe was nasal and very ... boring. Didn't put much feeling into it. His only redeeming factor is that his character is pretty much >him<.

Even Hugh Jackman had some scenes/songs where he was a bit nasal, but man, he really did a great job in the opening 15.

Hathaway blew, me, away. Ridiculously good. Same goes for Barks.
Completely agree with this, Hathaway and Barks were superb, and Hugh is such a talented singer, though a bit nasal at times. Saw a screening of him in "Oklahoma" a few years ago and was pretty impressed with his voice in that as well.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1790 on: January 05, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Tadas Blinda was pretty good

« Reply #1791 on: January 07, 2013, 10:31:49 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Rewatched 50/50. Its a really great movie. It really gives the up and down roller coaster feel of how illnesses really work from a day to day basis. One minute of the movie your laughing, the next you have tears in your eyes.

Anna Kendrick was a great choice for her role. She nailed the awkward new therapist role. And Joseph Gordon Levitt is great in everything from Angels in the Outfield to this.

« Reply #1792 on: January 07, 2013, 02:24:59 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Looper.  There's an entire (major) plotline that wasn't involved in the marketing at all.  To me, it was a little conventional, in a movie that had a lot of other really great ideas.

Bruce Willis was awesome in this.  I wish they'd spent a little more time with him.

Still, an excellent movie.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1793 on: January 07, 2013, 02:43:12 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Looper.  There's an entire (major) plotline that wasn't involved in the marketing at all.  To me, it was a little conventional, in a movie that had a lot of other really great ideas.

Bruce Willis was awesome in this.  I wish they'd spent a little more time with him.

Looper was two thumbs up for me. I went into it expecting one thing, got something completely different (the plotline you are talking about) and still came out pleasantly surprised.

« Reply #1794 on: January 09, 2013, 08:27:38 PM »

Kiorrik

www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2013/01/pain_of_the_new

Good article on why the new filming quality of 48FPS seems so "unreal".

« Reply #1795 on: January 11, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
My husband and I went on our weekly "date night" last night and saw "Lincoln."   Good movie.  Excellent character portrayals.  Makes you realize that, in government, anyway, results may  change but methods do not.  I don't know if that is encouraging or discouraging.   :-\
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #1796 on: January 11, 2013, 02:38:32 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I watched Wild Things with my girlfriend last night.  I am trying a sort of subliminal campaign for.... something

« Reply #1797 on: January 11, 2013, 02:43:43 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

I loved the way they made Joseph Gordon- Levitt look like Bruce Willis.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #1798 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:13 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Just saw "The Life of Pi."  It is an esthetically beautiful movie.  Really enjoyed it. 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #1799 on: January 21, 2013, 08:37:58 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Just got back from Django Unchained. Killer flick. Tarantino nailed another one. The writing, acting, sound track, story. All were great. DiCaprio was fan freakin tastic as was Christoph Waltz. Foxx and Jackson also had killer performances. A tad bit lengthy but overall well well worth it and well well done.