Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948543 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1680 on: September 23, 2012, 09:50:52 AM »

Offline Valentines_at_Popeyes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 35
Being an 80's baby, lately I've been on kind of an old school kick (for me anyways).  Been watching a lot of movies I always knew about (and so did every other kid who grew up in my time) but never saw, basically R rated movies that came out when I was a kid.  Like a few months ago, I watched every Friday the 13th, from 1 to 9, in order within like a 2 week span.  I'd seen bits and pieces as a kid, like when I'd stay up late when my parents weren't home and one would be on tv, and I understood who Jason was, but it was pretty cool to see the progression of Jason's character and the continuity of the story line (no matter how weak and shallow it was), like how Jason didn't become superhuman until part 6.  But anyways, on to my latest watch.

I watched the original Robocop.  How this movie spawned 2 sequels and a coming remake, as well as a toy line, video games, kids cartoon, etc. I will never know.  According to wikipedia it was considered one of the best films of 1987, are you kidding me!? This movie was terrible.  One of the most memorable scenes in the movie, how can you even take this thing seriously, and it's even over the top by today's standards 25 years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IscZMYYw0

Anyways, it's kind of baffling how gory, violent R rated movies like this (and it actually had an X rating originally, but after 11 tries was brought down to an R rating) were then in turn turned into a kids franchise spawning cartoons and toy lines and referenced on kids shows (like Saved By the Bell).  Crazy.

They are remaking Robocop and the new design is this:

I'm not liking it.  Looks like iRobocop or Mass Effect's version of Robocop.  I guess when I want my chunk metal robots I will have to look to Japan  8)

I particularly dislike the vulnerable and exposed human hand.  No dual robo death grip?  Bah.

« Reply #1681 on: September 23, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
21 Jump Street...  I had pretty low expectations, but it was pretty dang funny.

Yes. Whoever was responsible for promoting that movie should be fired. The previews didn't do that movie justice at all. I expected it to be terrible but it's actually one of the funniest movies i've seen in years.

« Reply #1682 on: September 23, 2012, 10:27:03 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Dredd 3D and Parallex View

« Reply #1683 on: September 23, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Key Largo is a good one. All 4 Bogie/Bacall films are good.

« Reply #1684 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
What's eating Gilbert Grape is a pretty amazing film. Missed it when it first came out. DiCaprio plays a mentally handicapped kid. Pretty amazing performance.

By the same director Salmon Fishing in Yemen. Not as good; but still a good film.

Here's a great interview where they set it up so DiCaprio and Scorsese are sort of interviewing each other. Martin has a nice story and kind words on the subject of Gilbert Grape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTznpdsNPek

It's right towards the beginning. Also some good stories from Leo talking about first seeing some of Scorsese's classics like Raging Bull and Mean Streets.

« Reply #1685 on: September 23, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »

Offline BostonNative

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
the new resident evil..............CRAAAAAAAAP

« Reply #1686 on: September 23, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I saw again The Godfather part I and part II.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #1687 on: September 23, 2012, 01:47:21 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Part 3 isn't a horrible movie either, would have been much better if the daughter was played by Wynona Ryder like originally planned.

« Reply #1688 on: September 23, 2012, 01:50:01 PM »

Offline anthony83

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36

Part 3 isn't a horrible movie either, would have been much better if the daughter was played by Wynona Ryder like originally planned.

I agree, part III is not comparable with the previous two parts.

Twitter: @Theanswer83

« Reply #1689 on: September 23, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
The Loved Ones

Oh man. 4.5 starts out of 5. It is like Misery and Fear (Mark Wahlberg, crazy stalker movie) had a kid and sent it to the prom. This movie is a horror movie, is a gore movie, but man, is it good. They set you up for a sexually charged teen angsty stalker movie but it gets sooo dark, and it keeps switching directions on you so what you think will happen, doesn't, then it does, but not when you thought it would.

It got a 97% on rotten tomatoes from critics, and unless this type of movie's whole premise will turn you off (and for some, it will. Especially older or more conservative audiences), you will not be able to look away or dismiss it once you're done, but it won't haunt you, it's more like a scary rollercoaster, than a movie like Hostel that creeps you out every time you see someone's Achilles outlined. And it doesn't rely on torture or gore like Saw does to shock audiences, as Hannibal would say, "That....is incidental."

Wow this movie is whacked, man. Just wow. Frontal lobotomies, dark humor, crazy deranged villian...so worth it.

Pimping this again, because as of yet not a single person I know has watched it.

WATCH IT!

Just did per your recommendation. I was pleasently surprised and enjoyed it quite a
bit. Not sure of it warrants a 97 though.

Well TP to you then sir.

The 97% does seem high, in retrospect, I'd describe it like this:

It's like when you're hungry, so you stop at a food cart and get a sausage with peppers and onions for $4. You realize that it is actually one of the best 'street meats' you've ever had. Completely blows away your expectations.

But at the end of the day, it is just a sausage you got from a food cart. It's not like it compares to a Ruth Chris steak.

Haha love the analogy. I'd be up for visiting this particular food cart again.

« Reply #1690 on: September 23, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
21 Jump Street...  I had pretty low expectations, but it was pretty dang funny.

Yes. Whoever was responsible for promoting that movie should be fired. The previews didn't do that movie justice at all. I expected it to be terrible but it's actually one of the funniest movies i've seen in years.

My exact thoughts. Hilarious flick.

« Reply #1691 on: September 23, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Just saw End of Watch and it was pretty good. Basically what Ladder 49 did for firefighters, this is that movie for police officers. I'm a big Michael Pena fan and he just continues to pick good roles and play them well.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #1692 on: September 23, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Finding neverland. One of my top 5, actually probably top three best movies for me. If you are feeling creative and dramatic give it a look.

« Reply #1693 on: September 24, 2012, 06:30:24 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 06:39:10 AM by ACF »

« Reply #1694 on: September 24, 2012, 04:37:36 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I saw that Just, Melvin doc a few years back.  Pretty rough stuff.