Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948801 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1140 on: July 15, 2011, 02:13:15 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Been watching random Netfilx streaming movie

Just watched Rubber...very odd, could have been better
Yup

« Reply #1141 on: July 15, 2011, 02:57:11 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Body of Lies with DiCaprio and Russell Crowe.  Very underrated film and Leo is fantastic as usual.

« Reply #1142 on: July 15, 2011, 04:46:20 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Orla Frøsnapper (rough translation: frog-eater) a "remake" (well, not really) of a popular Danish 1980 children's film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MN58I98RZ4

The original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yai8J292tHE

It was the first time we took our son to the cinema. He thoroughly enjoyed it. Those kind of moments are priceless. Movie was well made and very funny. Both movies are based on books by Ole Lund Kirkegaard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Lund_Kirkegaard

« Reply #1143 on: July 15, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cars

Next Saturday: Cars 2

CARS 2

Now I know wich is other the best pixar ever made

Dont miss it worth every pennie
Cars 2: otherwise known as the very worst Pixar film ever made. Really bad.

« Reply #1144 on: July 15, 2011, 06:36:54 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
12:25 show last night. The whole place was in tears. Held well to book and exceeded my imagination. Awesome.

Was at the midnight IMAX showing, all 20 auditoriums in the movie theatre were sold out of course. When everyone got out after it ended, i've never seen so many teary eyed people in my life.

I LOVE the series, but that one was BY FAR the best of the movies. With the Oscars having 10 nominees now, i would not be surprised in the least to see it get a best picture nomination, and [dang] was The Princes Tale well done. Rickman better get his freakin supporting actor nomination this time.

« Reply #1145 on: July 15, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The Fisher King.....depressing and inaccurate. I don't think they should have used mental illness to showcase Robin Williams' talents. I'm glad I didn't spend money.

« Reply #1146 on: July 15, 2011, 07:57:48 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
The Fisher King.....depressing and inaccurate. I don't think they should have used mental illness to showcase Robin Williams' talents. I'm glad I didn't spend money.
I'm sorry, EJ, but I couldn't disagree with you more.  My daughter suffers from a mental illness, depression, and she is the smartest, kindest, funniest person I know.  I thought Robin Williams did an amazing job in Fisher King.  By your standards, I guess "Rain man" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" were ill advised too.  I think anything that brings attention to the plight of sufferers of mental illness especially in a human way (humor is good) is helpful.  Mentally ill people are not necessarily evil, dark, horrible...most look and act like you and me, and they have humor and pathos in their lives, just like you and me.  As a matter of fact, tomorrow they may be you and me!  I think anything that causes these conditions to be brought out in the light instead of whispered about and hidden is good.

Sorry, you happened to hit one of my sensitive points.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #1147 on: July 15, 2011, 08:16:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm sorry, EJ, but I couldn't disagree with you more.  My daughter suffers from a mental illness, depression, and she is the smartest, kindest, funniest person I know.  I thought Robin Williams did an amazing job in Fisher King.  By your standards, I guess "Rain man" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" were ill advised too.  I think anything that brings attention to the plight of sufferers of mental illness especially in a human way (humor is good) is helpful.  Mentally ill people are not necessarily evil, dark, horrible...most look and act like you and me, and they have humor and pathos in their lives, just like you and me.  As a matter of fact, tomorrow they may be you and me!  I think anything that causes these conditions to be brought out in the light instead of whispered about and hidden is good.

Sorry, you happened to hit one of my sensitive points.
Nothing to be sorry about.

I don't know lots about autism.  I asked a young mom once if everyone just assumed her kid with autism was just like rain man and she said "Actually he's exactly like rain man.".  So I guess Rain Man was great.  

For One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest while it was extremely important in shedding light on abuses that were occurring and ushering in an era of human rights, it also ushered in (somewhat) the era of deinstitutionalization, which had pros and cons. It also put out the notion that treatment itself is the disease. Chief for example makes this great escape at the end, but it real life if Chief really had a major mental illness then if they didn't find him he would probably decomp in a matter of days without his meds and would become a threat to himself or others.  I think in that sense that film was at least somewhat misleading, and I don't think Jack's character would have made a great mental health councilor, but he did do some things quite well.

Further while I completely agree that people with a diagnosis of a mental illness can be funny as heck and very kind, the fact is generally psychosis like that doesn't happen from a single event and there is often a family history, not to mention the character was well beyond the average age of onset.  In that sense I found it inaccurate.

I guess my general objection was that I thought the character was sorta making mental illness seem fun and wacky and like it can cured/treated with love and friendship, but in real life it's way more complicated. Obviously friendship and love improves the quality of life, often for both involved, but it doesn't cure anything.  

Granted some people make strong recoveries, but usually with meds and other treatment, neither of which the character was getting.  

The film is 20 years old and I'm not familiar with the mental health system of NY now, let alone then, so I'm not sure if everything was realistic, but there just seemed to be a lot of laughing with and at the illness to me, and I don't see it as a laughing thing. Not that there can't be a sense of humor to it, or that one can't love the film or find a strong redeeming message in it. I just didn't like it.

I don't know. i have a lot to learn yet and may change my mind at some point.  

I didn't see the Soloist yet (with Jamie Foxx?).  I found Beautiful Mind to be more realistic and accurate, although obviously not all people with mental illnesses are Princeton professors, and that man is in many ways a huge huge exception

maybe that clarifies a bit

« Reply #1148 on: July 15, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
dolomite

« Reply #1149 on: July 15, 2011, 08:59:43 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Cars

Next Saturday: Cars 2

CARS 2

Now I know wich is other the best pixar ever made

Dont miss it worth every pennie
Cars 2: otherwise known as the very worst Pixar film ever made. Really bad.

Nick  You dont like Pandas you dont like Cars...I give up.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #1150 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cars: An absolutely awesome movie

Kung Fu Panda: I loved it.

The Pandas: Better than people are giving them credit for. Experience wins championship

Cars 2: Just an awful movie

« Reply #1151 on: July 15, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Cars: An absolutely awesome movie

Kung Fu Panda: I loved it.

The Pandas: Better than people are giving them credit for. Experience wins championship

Cars 2: Just an awful movie

Well I will erase that last paragraph from your answer and consider it perfect.

:D

p.s. its not awful
its different :D

Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #1152 on: July 16, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
In Bruges...I loved it, thought it was great.  Nice blend of comedy and drama.

« Reply #1153 on: July 16, 2011, 09:18:49 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Chinatown.

It had been a number of years since I last saw it.  Still a great flick. 5 of 5 stars.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #1154 on: July 16, 2011, 09:31:36 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Just watched Wild Things for te first time last night. Pretty decent movie.