Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948575 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #2670 on: August 07, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
3 Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri.

very good movie.  did raise concerns about the quality of rural policing though if this is anywhere close to reality in how it depicted the cops

« Reply #2671 on: August 08, 2018, 07:35:16 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I Accuse (Germany, 1941)

Commissioned by Goebbels. The film comes in support of euthanasia without patient consent. Its point is not so much to convince, but to silence disagreement and it is nauseatingly smart in achieving its goal.

A young and beautiful woman, married to a doctor thinks she's pregnant, but she's actually suffering from an incurable and painful disease. Surrounded by doctors, who love her but are unable to help her get well, you can see where this is going.

This is how Nazi Germany treated the Aryans, what was up for the rest is transparent and very disturbing. I really felt for the rats in the doctor's lab btw

There is also something to be said about necrophilia, once the woman finds out she is ill, she appears as a walking corpse. The men still desire her, but it becomes more and more evident that this desire is wicked and mentally perverse instead of "normal".

The movie was banned after Germany's defeat, but it has been recently (literally a day ago) made available on YT. Must watch to understand fascism.

https://youtu.be/mOxpXNf2Jaw

I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (USA, 1932) [spoiler alert]

True masterpiece that should get more recognition. A WWI veteran is wrongfully convicted to a chain gang in Georgia. He escapes, starts a new life in Chicago, but Georgian authorities trace him back. He escapes again, but unable to restart his life a second time, he becomes a petty criminal.

Paul Muni is amazing as expected. He was the reason I chose to watch the film, but I found out there was a lot more to it than his performance. The film is based on a true story, that had caused a sensation at the time.

A moving detail that was removed from the film was that the character suffered from shell shock.

Holy Rollers (USA, 2010)

Hasidic Jews smuggling drugs. That's it. All the plot offers you is drama banalities you've seen already a few dozen times on TV series about teenagers - but I was interested enough in the main premise  to watch to the end.

It also stars Jesse Eisenberg which helps a lot.

PS The story the movie was (loosely) based on
https://www.nytimes.com/2000/03/29/nyregion/sentencing-a-drug-courier-judge-rebukes-the-hasidim.html

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:32:56 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #2672 on: August 10, 2018, 10:01:55 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
The Life of Emile Zola (USA, 1937)

The title is a bit misleading. More than a biography of Zola, this is about the Dreyfus Affair: Zola brought to trial for denouncing a case of miscarriage of justice. It won three Academy Awards, among them Best Picture. Muni is great in the second half of the film, depicting an elderly and vain Zola who determines to become again political.

A weird thing given the subject matter is that the words Jew and antisemitism are never uttered. One scholar has alleged that Warner himself had the word Jew removed. 

This raises the question of what to do make of the film's message today. To my mind, the film's heart is at the right place, and Muni does his best to deliver a progressive message: the scene where he reads the opening of J'Accuse is particularly moving. The film's message against fascism is especially poignant when the mob attempts to lynch Zola.

This is one of Hollywood's great political movies, it deserves to be watched and studied more, and we have to know what actually happened to the script.

Ostrov/The Island (Russia, 2006) [contains spoilers]

A stoker at a monastery deliberately flouts social and religious conventions to follow his own path to salvation. This gains him support among the peasantry, who regard him as a miracle worker, but alienates him from the monks, who get tired of his constant tricks.

Religion is a difficult topic for cinema. When I started watching the movie, I had my fingers crossed it would not show us any miracle on screen. I had my wish fulfilled until towards the end the script violated its own premise, and showed us an actual exorcism. This looked silly, and it was hard to re-take the film seriously after that.

All things considered, what saves the movie from being a fiasco is excellent photography.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:22:32 AM by greece666 »

« Reply #2673 on: August 10, 2018, 09:57:40 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
The Mission (UK, 1986)

A group of Jesuits working with the Guaranis in the 1750s gets caught in a territorial conflict between Spain and Portugal.They choose to side with the natives and pay the price.

The Mission has a lot in its favor. Star power: Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons and Liam Neeson; one of the best English directors in Roland Joffé (The Killing Fields),  two time Oscar winning screenwriter Robert Bolt, and an excellent musical score by Ennio Morricone. It won a Palme d'Or at Cannes, as well as an Academy Award for Best Cinematography.

Given its accolades, the film is a slight disappointment mainly due to weaknesses in the narrative. Character development is absent in the film. De Niro's character  starts as a psychopathic slave trader and is transformed into a mild-mannered Jesuit. This conversion is never explained in the film- I felt I had to deal with two different De Niros. Irons' character has a different problem: he remains the same from beginning to end, unaffected by what is going on around him.

Another narrative weakness is the polyphony you have in the movie. You have at least three characters around whom action is taking place. Arguably the most interesting of the three (Cardinal Altamirano) is played by a good actor but not a star (Ray McAnally) and does not get the attention he deserves.

Despite these shortcomings, the movie is saved by a synergy of excellent photography and music. It has the qualities of a documentary, esp. the parts that show the life of the Guarani - if you are into this sort of thing, you'll certainly enjoy it. And it's a rare occasion to be able to enjoy Neeson, De Niro and Irons act together.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:30:51 PM by greece666 »

« Reply #2674 on: August 12, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
latest ones:
Life of the Party - less then meh.  thought it'd have a few laughs with Melissa Mccarthy but really just a very blah movie.  still have a mad crush on her though.

Tag -- much better than expected.  thought it'd have a few laughs and a lot of stupidity and it did but had more laughs than expected and most of the stupidity worked.  enjoyable.

Ready Player One - less than meh.  didn't expect much from it and got less than expected.  CGI was something else but just didn't care about the characters and the villain was more of a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag than a real threat.  very disappointing output from Spielberg.

« Reply #2675 on: August 12, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
latest ones:
Life of the Party - less then meh.  thought it'd have a few laughs with Melissa Mccarthy but really just a very blah movie.  still have a mad crush on her though.

Tag -- much better than expected.  thought it'd have a few laughs and a lot of stupidity and it did but had more laughs than expected and most of the stupidity worked.  enjoyable.

Ready Player One - less than meh.  didn't expect much from it and got less than expected.  CGI was something else but just didn't care about the characters and the villain was more of a ****bag than a real threat.  very disappointing output from Spielberg.

McCarthy hasn’t been funny in years, Life of the Party was awful, I totally agree with your view of Tag, a surprisingly funny movie
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #2676 on: August 12, 2018, 10:40:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
latest ones:

Ready Player One - less than meh.  didn't expect much from it and got less than expected.  CGI was something else but just didn't care about the characters and the villain was more of a ****bag than a real threat.  very disappointing output from Spielberg.

McCarthy hasn’t been funny in years, Life of the Party was awful, I totally agree with your view of Tag, a surprisingly funny movie
her best movie by far was Spy.  Boss was ok.  other than those, she did better in smaller parts than in a starring role.  I think why I appreciate her is that actresses are rarely her size and game for anything. 

« Reply #2677 on: August 12, 2018, 11:31:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The Shawshank Redemption.

Love it EVERY SINGLE time I watch it.

Reminds me that evil and vile institutions will not last and true friendship between good men endures.

« Reply #2678 on: August 13, 2018, 12:07:37 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Reminds me that evil and vile institutions will not last and true friendship between good men endures.

Shawshank is a good one. On a related note, have you watched any of Castle Rock on Hulu?

The movie I saw most recently was Ant-Man and the Wasp, and I really enjoyed it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2679 on: August 13, 2018, 03:53:27 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Shawshank is a good one. On a related note, have you watched any of Castle Rock on Hulu?

The movie I saw most recently was Ant-Man and the Wasp, and I really enjoyed it.

I watched the first two Castle Rock episodes. I thought the second episode was a lot better than the first. It's got a fun, creepy premise and the cast is outstanding. I'm sure I'll watch more.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2680 on: August 13, 2018, 04:01:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
latest ones:

Saw the R rated trailer for her new movie, The Happytime Murders. It looks freaking hilarious.

« Reply #2681 on: August 13, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
latest ones:

Saw the R rated trailer for her new movie, The Happytime Murders. It looks freaking hilarious.
looking forward to that one as well.  hoping the Sesame Street lawsuit doesn't mess with it.

« Reply #2682 on: August 13, 2018, 04:26:56 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Not a movie but I've been binge watching Game of Thrones. I bought the dvd set (when the 6th season just came out on dvd) and just started watching a couple of weeks ago. O.M.F.G.!
If none of you have seen it, you are missing out. I thought Breaking Bad was good.....
As far as movies, last good ones I saw was American Made. Not bad at all. True story. And Stephen King's IT...THAT was really good.

« Reply #2683 on: August 13, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

I watched the first two Castle Rock episodes. I thought the second episode was a lot better than the first. It's got a fun, creepy premise and the cast is outstanding. I'm sure I'll watch more.

The first few minutes of episode 1 were a bit slow, but I realize that's because they're setting up the situation. Good acting, the "big mystery" premise is cool, and the show is indeed creepy—I just watched the opening scene of ep. 3, and it is FREAKY.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2684 on: August 13, 2018, 08:40:58 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
The Killing Fields (UK, 1984)

A NYT journalist in Phnom Penh loses track of his Cambodian associate when the Khmer Rouge take over the city. Indeed, his partner is forced by the Khmer Rouge to work in the fields under appalling conditions.

This film not only gives you a detailed account of what happened in Cambodia in the second half of the seventies, but also captures beautifully the human drama of the people who were torn apart by this tragedy.

The Fountain (USA, 2006)

A young doctor comes to terms with the death of his wife.

Garbage.

A Night At The Opera (USA, 1935)

Comedy by the Marx Brothers. The plot is just a pretext for their brilliant humour. Among their best movies.

Mamma Roma (Italy, 1962)

A prostitute from the Italian provinces re-starts her life selling vegetables in Rome. Her life is dedicated to her 16 yo son and her hope he'll get a respectable future.

Neo-realist drama about people living in the social margins. Many actors are amateurs and this gives an air of authenticity to the movie. It is both moving and a faithful description of its contemporary society.