Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 954365 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #2655 on: July 30, 2018, 05:25:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ant Man and the Wasp. Worst MCU movie so far though the added scene during the credits may have been the best one yet.

« Reply #2656 on: July 30, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Everybody should watch blindspotting

« Reply #2657 on: July 30, 2018, 10:48:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
just watched the Shallows.  not too bad for its genre.  went from rooting for the shark to rooting for the heroine which I didn't expect

« Reply #2658 on: July 31, 2018, 03:38:59 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Mission Impossible: Fallout

Another highly entertaining movie in the Mission Impossible franchise. The passion Cruise has for this franchise is obvious, and the fact that he is still doing these crazy stunts at 56 is even more amazing. My favorite action sequence, among many, may have been the motorcycle chase. Henry Cavill plays a fantastic role, and plays it perfectly. Really looking forward to seeing this again.

4.5/5

Saw it a few days ago. Cruise is going to get himself killed someday. Not sure how you can top this one for the stunt work. Saw it in 3D, but kind of wish I went to see it on IMAX.

« Reply #2659 on: August 02, 2018, 08:52:28 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Everybody should watch blindspotting

Saw it yesterday. Very good movie.

I was happily surprised to find that it is not the movie that is being marketed. The trailer makes it look like a tense drama about a police shooting. In reality it's a very funny movie about gentrification and prejudice. The two characters at the center of it are very strong, it's not surprise they wrote it.

There's a big moment at the end that doesn't totally work but if you're willing to suspend disbelief that far, it's at least a well executed moment.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2660 on: August 02, 2018, 09:34:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Pacific Rim 2 --> save yourselves -- avoid this one.

had sometime to kill and watched via firestick.  so, so bad.  would have been much better off watching old clips of Bob Ross painting happy trees.

« Reply #2661 on: August 04, 2018, 04:32:49 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
remake of Overboard.  thought it would really suck but watched it with my wife because she wanted to see it. 

awful, awful, awful. 

don't know what the producers were thinking by having what seems a third of the movie in Spanish (no subtitles on the stream I could get to play) and a lead actor that is an unknown (at least not to the general public  - he must be big somewhere else).   

« Reply #2662 on: August 04, 2018, 05:11:59 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
In the Theater it was Ant-Man and the Wasp.  Pretty decent movie.  I'd say it's middle of the pack out of all the MCU movies. 

The other day my son and I watched the most recent Jumanji.  It wasn't bad.  Kevin Hart and the Rock made it funny. 

« Reply #2663 on: August 04, 2018, 05:18:07 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Sharknado

« Reply #2664 on: August 04, 2018, 05:19:51 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Coco. What a beautiful movie with a fun story. 

« Reply #2665 on: August 07, 2018, 12:05:49 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The Lady From Shanghai (USA, 1947)

Written, directed and starring Orson Welles. It is supposed to be a film noir but it is more of an Orson Welles movie: the script has holes (possibly intentionally left there by Welles) and it feels more like a nightmare than a film noir. Photography, acting and direction are top notch, at times (the shootout in the hall of mirrors) it feels like a film from the 60s, way ahead of its time.

Personally, I also got annoyed by Welles at times. He wanted to be noticed a lot, and the result is closer to a European auteur movie than a Hollywood one. No wonder Mike Todd, the producer, was furious with him.

An interesting note is that Welles was estranged with Rita Hayworth while filming. Convincing her to have her hair cut and bleach them might have been some sort of perverse act of vengeance on his ex-wife.

Ukraine on fire (USA, 2016)

Documentary produced by Oliver Stone on the current crisis in Ukraine; it was not directed by him and it shows. It was  not well received by English language media as it claims that the events of 2014 were an American coup and that Ukrainians of Russian descent consequently had the right to self-determination. The IMDb reviews are either 1/10 or 9-10/10  - it's a polarizing film.

I'm  sympathetic to some of Stone's views, esp. on the resurgence of Nazism in Ukraine. IMO Stone shows some facts that Western audiences often dont know about, esp. regarding the involvement of Western Ukrainians with the Nazi and the Holocaust during WWII, and how Nazis  are venerated today. Ukraine has literally made statues for the likes of Stepan Bandera.

The film had obvious weaknesses (the history part was sketchy and you can easily skip it), but the interviews with Yanukovych and Putin might be of interest even to ppl who disagree with Stone's claims. The late Robert Parry was a pleasure to watch.

It's freely available online.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:11:59 PM by greece666 »

« Reply #2666 on: August 07, 2018, 12:29:08 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Another highly entertaining movie in the Mission Impossible franchise. The passion Cruise has for this franchise is obvious, and the fact that he is still doing these crazy stunts at 56 is even more amazing. My favorite action sequence, among many, may have been the motorcycle chase. Henry Cavill plays a fantastic role, and plays it perfectly. Really looking forward to seeing this again.

4.5/5

Saw it a few days ago. Cruise is going to get himself killed someday. Not sure how you can top this one for the stunt work. Saw it in 3D, but kind of wish I went to see it on IMAX.

I gotta give him a lot of credit, the stunts are so realistic that it adds legit tension to the scenes. Normally I don't like these sort of action movies, but this one was visceral and genuinely entertaining.

Tho the plot needed more fleshing out, the expository scenes felt WAAAAY too rushed.

« Reply #2667 on: August 07, 2018, 01:36:02 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Documentary produced by Oliver Stone on the current crisis in Ukraine; it was not directed by him and it shows. It was  not well received by English language media as it claims that the events of 2014 were an American coup and that Ukrainians of Russian descent consequently had the right to self-determination. The IMDb reviews are either 1/10 or 9-10/10  - it's a polarizing film.

I'm  sympathetic to some of Stone's views, esp. on the resurgence of Nazism in Ukraine. IMO Stone shows some facts that Western audiences often dont know about, esp. regarding the involvement of Western Ukrainians with the Nazi and the Holocaust during WWII, and how Nazis  are venerated today. Ukraine has literally made statues for the likes of Stepan Bandera.

The film had obvious weaknesses (the history part was sketchy and you can easily skip it), but the interviews with Yanukovych and Putin might be of interest even to ppl who disagree with Stone's claims. The late Robert Parry was a pleasure to watch.

Watched this a few months ago and found it to be very interesting, especially in terms of the Ukrainian Parliament not having the votes necessary to actually declare a new government or something, iirc, but, you know, that's okay because we said so ::), the presence of Mikheil Saakashvili (Lol, what the hell was he even doing there in the first place? Hmmm...), and, of course, the presence of Right Sector, about which I already knew but nevertheless found to be, well, interesting, although I'm not sure that Oliver Stone should be the one to report on the rise in Nazi activity in Ukraine, to put it mildly :o -

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/jul/27/oliver-stone-apologises-antisemitic-remarks

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to comparing this film with the other version of the events from the perspective of the protesters on The Maidan, I believe, but I did see some other documentary from Italian TV, again, iirc, that examined the role of the snipers (although I subsequently discovered that the BBC, I think, had found an error with respect to one of the purported snipers), which is still murky, at best.

In fairness, idk if the whole thing was a coup, but there was clearly no shortage of suspicious activity and characters, imo.

What didn't you like about the history portion, btw (even though I can't remember it as of right now)?

« Reply #2668 on: August 07, 2018, 03:21:22 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474

4.5/5

I gotta give him a lot of credit, the stunts are so realistic that it adds legit tension to the scenes. Normally I don't like these sort of action movies, but this one was visceral and genuinely entertaining.

Tho the plot needed more fleshing out, the expository scenes felt WAAAAY too rushed.

I saw it last week as well.  As far as the action and the pace it was incredible and frenetic.  A solid 4/5 for me, I was probably even higher right after seeing it, but there were some plot things that were pretty crazy so not best of the year but a solid excellent time at a summer movie.

« Reply #2669 on: August 07, 2018, 07:05:24 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Watched this a few months ago and found it to be very interesting, especially in terms of the Ukrainian Parliament not having the votes necessary to actually declare a new government or something, iirc, but, you know, that's okay because we said so ::) , the presence of Mikheil Saakashvili (Lol, what the hell was he even doing there in the first place? Hmmm...), and, of course, the presence of Right Sector, about which I already knew but nevertheless found to be, well, interesting, although I'm not sure that Oliver Stone should be the one to report on the rise in Nazi activity in Ukraine, to put it mildly :o -

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/jul/27/oliver-stone-apologises-antisemitic-remarks

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to comparing this film with the other version of the events from the perspective of the protesters on The Maidan, I believe, but I did see some other documentary from Italian TV, again, iirc, that examined the role of the snipers (although I subsequently discovered that the BBC, I think, had found an error with respect to one of the purported snipers), which is still murky, at best.

In fairness, idk if the whole thing was a coup, but there was clearly no shortage of suspicious activity and characters, imo.

What didn't you like about the history portion, btw (even though I can't remember it as of right now)?

Hi man, thanks for the answer. tbh I feel a bit bad for posting for my post now bcs I don't want to feel responsible for turning this thread to a politics discussion. I ll give a short,, film related answer here and if that's OK with you we can continue this through PMs.

The history section was too short, they covered 300 years in 20-25 mins. I understand why they did this - in order to give some background to the general viewer, but still you cant do justice to a complex history in that time.

In general, the whole movie was  packed with info, and it run on 90 mins. IMHO (which doesnt count much bcs if it did I would be making films myself  ;D ) they should have either taken more time or cut down on the info.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:13:31 PM by greece666 »