Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 954319 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2415 on: January 03, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I just saw Rogue One.  Fairly nondescript but they got the look of the old movies down pretty good.  On par with the last one they did.  The prequals were really bad.

« Reply #2416 on: January 26, 2017, 09:08:08 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
gonna watch West Side Story (yes, the 1961 one) with my dad at the cinema tonight

will come back later for impressions

and yes, it was my idea

« Reply #2417 on: January 26, 2017, 09:46:58 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
The Lobster...

Dark, dry,and different, but the concept, direction, and writing make it one of my favorite movies of the year and of the decade even..

« Reply #2418 on: January 26, 2017, 10:19:38 AM »

Offline timriffic

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Deep Throat a true classic  :o

« Reply #2419 on: January 26, 2017, 10:23:35 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Just watch Miss Sloane & American Pastoral.
Both good movie, and both brutal in a different way.

« Reply #2420 on: January 26, 2017, 10:34:47 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
gonna watch West Side Story (yes, the 1961 one) with my dad at the cinema tonight

will come back later for impressions

and yes, it was my idea

Enjoy! For some reason it's on TV frequently here.  I'll flip through the channels, see that it's on, and stop my search.  My wife sighs "West Side Story?? Again?"  But I can't help myself.  It's a great story and the Bernstein score is fantastic, especially with the extra instrumentation provided by a 1960s Hollywood studio orchestra.

« Reply #2421 on: January 26, 2017, 12:35:42 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
Deep Throat a true classic  :o

It always amazed me how smoothly the director of its best sequels made the transition to the NBA.

(Mods pls no ban)

« Reply #2422 on: January 26, 2017, 05:11:34 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4080728/

A Man Called Ove

Nominated for 2 Oscars.

I laughed and I cried. Ove is exactly like my uncle, I love you Uncle-Kalle.

« Reply #2423 on: January 26, 2017, 05:20:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The Lobster...

Dark, dry,and different, but the concept, direction, and writing make it one of my favorite movies of the year and of the decade even..

Saw that recently.  Definitely a unique pace to it.   I wanted more of the hotel and less of the outdoors stuff.
Yup

« Reply #2424 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
So, I come back for impressions on West Side Story.

I really enjoyed it. I thought it balanced very nicely between light entertainment (excellent dancing and music) with a serious topic such as violence. Personally, I found it very good at all levels: obviously music, but also script and acting. I hate spoilers, so I will so no more.

I did pay a visit to Rotten Tomatoes to see what """"the experts""" think.

The ability of some reviewers to find faults even with the finest movies amazes me. It's as if, if you can't say something negative, you aren't a real film critic. Too bad Ebert did not write something on this movie, he was one of the few who genuinely appreciated greatness.

Anyway, 94% at the tomatometer is far from bad. The audience likes it a bit less (84%) but this is to be expected with a movie from 1961.

Apparently, I and dad going to the movies is our new ritual.

Upcoming movies: Tomie. Japanese horror film (1998). Dad's choice (I hate horror films). Lord give me the strength. I am worried I might leave the cinema before ten mins into the movie. .. I've done it once before (Cannibal Holocaust).

And The umbrellas of Cherbourg. French musical with Catherine Deneuve (1964). Needless to say, my choice.

PS @saltlover no wonder you love WSS. If our TV played stuff like that often, I might consider starting watching it again.

« Reply #2425 on: January 31, 2017, 08:42:14 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I think Christopher Nolan is becoming the next great director. Not sure if he will catch Spielberg, but he is throwing out gems. Inception and Interstellar were very good. His next military movie looks intense as well.

I thought for a while that M Night Shamalamadong was going to continue to produce good movies- boy how I was wrong.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:47:56 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #2426 on: January 31, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I just saw Rogue One.  Fairly nondescript but they got the look of the old movies down pretty good.  On par with the last one they did.  The prequals were really bad.

I feel that people will never like the new Star Wars movies as much as the originals, no matter how good they are. I thought this last one was the best one since Return of the Jedi. If you took context and time out of the equation, it is hard to say that Rogue One wasn't the best Star Wars movie ever. The special effects are light years ahead from 30 years ago, and the plot was comparable.

Accounting for sentimentality and originality makes the originals better. The prequels should be forgotten.

« Reply #2427 on: January 31, 2017, 11:21:21 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
@green_bballers13

speaking of Nolan, can't wait for Dunkirk to be released.

« Reply #2428 on: January 31, 2017, 09:30:56 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The Lobster...

Saw that recently.  Definitely a unique pace to it.   I wanted more of the hotel and less of the outdoors stuff.
The Lobster was terrific. So weird and much funnier than I thought it was going to be. Colin Farrell is, quietly, one of the best actors out there when he gets the right part. I was glad The Lobster got an Oscar nomination for its screenplay.

Last night I watched Jackie, the Jackie Kennedy biopic that's not really a biopic. It all takes place in the days directly after JFK is assassinated. Natalie Portman is really amazing in the movie and I was glad that Pablo Larrain had interests that went beyond a traditional biopic but it weirdly felt long even though its only 90 minutes. I just never got hooked, outside of Portman's (and Billy Crudup's) performance.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2429 on: March 04, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Saw Hidden Figures.  Excellent film.  (I graduated from high school in 1964, so it brought back  lots of memories of an exciting time in our history.)  If you havent seen it yet, don't miss it!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!