Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948583 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2400 on: December 18, 2016, 10:48:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I've been on a tear the last month.

Arrival - I liked it a lot. Clever script, beautifully shot, excellent acting. For such a big sci-fi flick, it's pretty understated. I'm a big Amy Adams fan, so getting to watch her work for 2 hours is enough for me.

Moonlight - This might be the best movie of the year. A really beautiful story and a voice that doesn't get heard much.

Loving - Another really touching story. I appreciate the filmmakers resisting the urge to turn this into a courtroom drama or a Disney-style story of this couple "overcoming the odds." Instead it's a movie really about these two people, who they were, and how they dealt with a terrible experience.

20th Century Women - A lot funnier than I thought it would be. It didn't blow me away but it's a well crafted movie with good performances and captures a time and place.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2401 on: December 18, 2016, 11:08:51 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I've been on a tear as well. Over the last couple weeks:

Enemy
Prisoners
Donnie Darko
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Arrival
True Grit
The New Guys
Lucky Number Slevin
Paul
BFG
Saving Private Ryan
Jungle Book
The Big Short

Finally I watched Hell or High Water which was pretty stellar. Bridges and Chris Pine are both beyond solid with their acting but to me Ben Foster really stood out the most. He did some amazing things with his character. I haven't seen a performance like that for quite sometime.

« Reply #2402 on: December 21, 2016, 11:14:21 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

good mix of actors

chris pratt gangsta in this

loved it

*sippin*

« Reply #2403 on: December 21, 2016, 11:19:33 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

im about to watch it

something  like

ill let yall know what i think of it

*sippin*

« Reply #2404 on: December 22, 2016, 12:12:40 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Gu gu the cat. Ha! That will provide a change of pace here.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2405 on: December 22, 2016, 06:40:49 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Manchester by the Sea.  Went expecting to love it....didn't.  The flashbacks were numerous and made the movie hard to follow...after a while the flashbacks brought rolling eyes and giggles...ruined the extremely sad story.  I did think the acting was excellent.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2406 on: December 27, 2016, 09:52:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
been on a movie binge lately.

theater: fantastic beasts and where to find them --> disappointing.  my wife loved it as her favorite Harry Potter-related movie.  thought the plot was weak which is what I consider the Potter movies but since this was supposedly geared more for adults, I really had an issue overlooking this.

home DVD:
Joy -- good movie  but 15 minutes into it I would have taken out every one of her family.  can't figure out how she endured that insufferable bunch.

Black Sea -- not bad but kind of formulaic in knowing how things were going to end up.

How to be Single -- ok.  better than expected but I've grown tired of Rebel Wilson's non-changing roles in her movies and fail to see the fascination with Dakota Johnson.

Secret LIfe of Pets - ok.  as someone with a lot of pets, they nailed a lot of the funny characteristics of the various animals but the plot was same ole', same ole' kids type level. 

« Reply #2407 on: December 27, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Manchester by the Sea.  Went expecting to love it....didn't.  The flashbacks were numerous and made the movie hard to follow...after a while the flashbacks brought rolling eyes and giggles...ruined the extremely sad story.  I did think the acting was excellent.

Interesting. I loved it. Was not bothered by the flashbacks at all. Felt it was in flow of the narrative.

« Reply #2408 on: December 29, 2016, 11:56:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I watched Mean Streets for the first time last night.  Hard to believe I'd not only never seem this, but never  heard of it.  I'm sort of ashamed actually!

1973 early Scorcese with young Dinero and Keitel and some other excellent actors.  Look it up if you're a fan of any of those 3 and haven't seen it. 
Yup

« Reply #2409 on: December 29, 2016, 11:57:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Passengers

good movie

« Reply #2410 on: December 30, 2016, 12:31:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Hell or High Water.

See it if you can. One of the best I've seen in 5 or 6 years.

« Reply #2411 on: December 31, 2016, 09:25:30 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Florence Foster Jenkins...loved it!   Hysterically funny and wrenchingly sad at the same time.  Has there ever been a bad performance by  Meryl Streep?  I don't think so...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2412 on: December 31, 2016, 04:35:53 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

theater: fantastic beasts and where to find them --> disappointing.  my wife loved it as her favorite Harry Potter-related movie.  thought the plot was weak which is what I consider the Potter movies but since this was supposedly geared more for adults, I really had an issue overlooking this.

home DVD:
Joy -- good movie  but 15 minutes into it I would have taken out every one of her family.  can't figure out how she endured that insufferable bunch.

Black Sea -- not bad but kind of formulaic in knowing how things were going to end up.

How to be Single -- ok.  better than expected but I've grown tired of Rebel Wilson's non-changing roles in her movies and fail to see the fascination with Dakota Johnson.

Secret LIfe of Pets - ok.  as someone with a lot of pets, they nailed a lot of the funny characteristics of the various animals but the plot was same ole', same ole' kids type level. 
some others
Suicide Squad: not bad but not as good as hoped.  DC has a ways to go with knowing how to make a very successful film using their characters.  Margot Robbie was the best part.  not sure if I like Jared Leto's Joker or not.  definitely not as good has Heath Ledger's.

Steve Jobs: well acted and they didn't flinch from showing Jobs as a complete butthole. 

Gods of Egypt:  plot line was pretty skimpy and I had some difficulty accepting the young lead male role could stay so clean, healthy and (man) pretty while working as a slave and throughout the rest of the story. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 06:27:52 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #2413 on: December 31, 2016, 05:12:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Saw Rogue One yesterday. For me, it got better as it went along because it started to make references to people from the original, and I enjoy that more than the new characters (although those were pretty good).

I saw Captain America: Civil War in the theater but got the DVD for Christmas, so I already watched that again. Love it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2414 on: January 03, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

home DVD:

some others
Suicide Squad: not bad but not as good as hoped.  DC has a ways to go with knowing how to make a very successful film using their characters.  Margot Robbie was the best part.  not sure if I like Jared Leto's Joker or not.  definitely not as good has Heath Ledger's.

Steve Jobs: well acted and they didn't flinch from showing Jobs as a complete butthole. 

Gods of Egypt:  plot line was pretty skimpy and I had some difficulty accepting the young lead male role could stay so clean, healthy and (man) pretty while working as a slave and throughout the rest of the story. 
some more from 'the  binge'

Sully: well done movie especially considering you know the outcome.  Hanks is again on the money in the role

Self/Less: good movie.  could see how it would play out before too long but entertaining

Criminal: good movie.  Costner didn't go over the top or get hammy in the role.  ending was unlikely but movie kept me watching.  warmed up to Gal Gadot in this movie.

Batman vs Superman: gave this another try after my new-found appreciation for Gal.  liked it better the second time around.  DC still needs to figure out how to put some humor in their movies to offer even a momentary contrast to the heavy material/themes.