Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 954343 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2280 on: July 19, 2016, 12:11:54 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I've seen these 4 movies in the last week:

Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut (A/A+) Supposedly the single greatest difference between a theatrical cut and a Director's cut. Ridley Scott film, (3+ hours film now after adding 45 minutes that do help a lot) about war, politics, and religion during the Crusades. Drawn from history, but loose with some facts about the main characters. Visually very impressive. Not for kids.

Ghostbustersremake (B/B+) Never loved the original, but it had it moments. This does too. LarBrd33's review above is about right. Family friendly.

Keanu (B/B+) Long comedy sketch, but it's pretty funny at times. Not for kids.

Deadpool (C-/C) Too much gratuitous BS made it seem like it was pitched to junior HS boys. Not for kids.

Didn't the R rating not give it away that it's not for kids? :)

I actually thought DeadPool was one of the most accurate comic book movies to date. They also got Colossus right! DeadPool is great because in the comics he's self aware that he's a comic book character, even killed off the wirters and artist of the book in one issue. And they carried that over in the movie with saying things about the low budget and not affording more Xmen, and even asked which Xavier he was going to see, the Stewart or MacAvoy one.

I get that it's not for every one, but DeadPool is a cross of Punisher,Wolverine and Spiderman with out the filter. So it was pretty spot on.

TP. I absolutely loved Deadpool, too, though it lines up perfectly with my sense of humor. It was very accurate to its origins, too, much more than the X-Men Origins version of him. I love that they made fun of that version of Deadpool so much, too.

« Reply #2281 on: July 19, 2016, 12:45:32 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Now You See Me 2 was okay. Basically the exact same as the first one; the girl I went to the movie with predicted 6 different parts before they happened. If you enjoyed the first one, it's worth the watch. I still liked it, mostly because I get a kick out of the magic stuff and fun plot. Trying to feature Jesse Eisenberg mroe prominently with that ugly haircut was a mistake. I also like Daniel Radcliffe, so I may have liked the movie more than I otherwise would have if he was not in it, although I like pretty much all of the lead actors.

Why do I get the feeling that she was the best part of that movie, lol ;D? And I almost forgot about Free State of Jones, which looked very interesting.  I'd probably research the historical event first, though, just because I'm a history buff and, most importantly, because I'd never heard of said story before.

Also, since I haven't seen the sequel to Independence Day and have no desire to do so after reading your review ;D, I'm assuming that Goldblum just sent the aliens Windows 8 this time, ahahaha ;D.

« Reply #2282 on: August 05, 2016, 03:25:27 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Bought tickets to see "Suicide Squad" months ago and reluctantly went to see it today despite the early negative buzz.

I HATED it.  Like really HATED it.  It's an awful movie.  Everything about it sucked... including the portrayal of the Joker... and honestly, despite the fact she's fun to look at, this portrayal of Harley Quinn sucked as well. 

Strongly encourage you to avoid it.   The "Ghosbusters" reboot was better.

« Reply #2283 on: August 05, 2016, 03:41:39 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Bought tickets to see "Suicide Squad" months ago and reluctantly went to see it today despite the early negative buzz.

I HATED it.  Like really HATED it.  It's an awful movie.  Everything about it sucked... including the portrayal of the Joker... and honestly, despite the fact she's fun to look at, this portrayal of Harley Quinn sucked as well. 

Dang, that bad? My friends and I are gonna see it on Saturday. Should I try to sell off my ticket to someone else? Lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2284 on: August 05, 2016, 04:13:29 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Dang, that bad? My friends and I are gonna see it on Saturday. Should I try to sell off my ticket to someone else? Lol
Well... it's getting savaged by critics and both my wife and I haaaaated it.   

Some people might end up enjoying it.  My ex girlfriend's favorite movie is "Tank Girl".  A buddy of mine really enjoyed "The Love Guru".  Eja117 is a big fan of the Star Wars prequels.   Some people have different tastes...

But as a fan of film and a fan of some of these characters, I can confidently say that I thought "Suicide Squad" was a total dumpster fire of a cash grab that isn't worth seeing. 

I didn't like what they did with the Joker at all (boring generic gangsta thug).  I wasn't even a fan with what they did with Harley Quinn. 

I didn't find any real redeeming qualities about the movie.   If you already have tickets and just want to see the trainwreck for what it is, go for it.  If you see it, let me know what you think.  This is the equivalent of me handing you a jar and saying "Smell this".  I already know it smells like a steaming turd, but I want someone else to suffer through it and have their senses violated with me. 

« Reply #2285 on: August 05, 2016, 07:13:01 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
I saw the Jason Bourne movie last weekend and really enjoyed it.  Overall a good movie. 

My girlfriend is adamant about going to see Suicide Squad, and I have zero interest.  I think it'd be a complete waste of my valuable weekend time.... any suggestions on how I can get out of it?  I'm trying to find one of her girlfriends who wants to see it, but no luck so far.

« Reply #2286 on: August 05, 2016, 09:37:47 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
BVS- loved it. Thought critics are nuts. Anything DC they're predetermined to dislike.

« Reply #2287 on: August 05, 2016, 09:38:32 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
BVS- loved it. Thought critics are nuts. Anything DC they're predetermined to dislike.

Except the dark knight.
#JKJB

« Reply #2288 on: August 05, 2016, 09:39:57 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

Well... it's getting savaged by critics and both my wife and I haaaaated it.   

Some people might end up enjoying it.  My ex girlfriend's favorite movie is "Tank Girl".  A buddy of mine really enjoyed "The Love Guru".  Eja117 is a big fan of the Star Wars prequels.   Some people have different tastes...

But as a fan of film and a fan of some of these characters, I can confidently say that I thought "Suicide Squad" was a total dumpster fire of a cash grab that isn't worth seeing. 

I didn't like what they did with the Joker at all (boring generic gangsta thug).  I wasn't even a fan with what they did with Harley Quinn. 

I didn't find any real redeeming qualities about the movie.   If you already have tickets and just want to see the trainwreck for what it is, go for it.  If you see it, let me know what you think.  This is the equivalent of me handing you a jar and saying "Smell this".  I already know it smells like a steaming turd, but I want someone else to suffer through it and have their senses violated with me.

This is how I feel about the marvel movies. Funny.

« Reply #2289 on: August 05, 2016, 09:45:05 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Some flicks dear to my heart:
Lars and the real girl
Warrior
Both are very emotional movies.
Other cool ones : for action I thought snowpiercer was great and the movie " the giver" I thought was a great retellings of the Fahrenheit Bradbury book that's been redone in different ways .

« Reply #2290 on: August 05, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Warrior especially is one I think people will like . Everyone I know who had seen " the fighter" and has then seen " warrior" considers warrior to be by far a superior movie.

« Reply #2291 on: August 05, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
The criticism of BvS was completely warranted.  If you're a big fan of the comics, you'll still enjoy seeing some of the comic panels come to life, but it was panned for a reason.   

I actually didn't mind sitting through it, but completely agree with everything said about it.  It wasn't good.

Suicide Squad, though... good god, it's atrocious.   Arguably the least entertaining movie I've seen this year.  It's terrible.  It's B-movie hacky shlock.  If I had been sitting on my couch and my wife turned it on our TV without any context, I'd assume it was a pilot for the latest DC Comics TV show being produced by "The CW"... and I'd likely lose interest mid-way through, start browsing CelticsBlog and half-watching the rest of it... and I would have been completely convinced the show would be cancelled mid-season.   "Aint no way this garbage lasts past sweeps". 

« Reply #2292 on: August 05, 2016, 04:11:33 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
The criticism of BvS was completely warranted.  If you're a big fan of the comics, you'll still enjoy seeing some of the comic panels come to life, but it was panned for a reason.   

I actually didn't mind sitting through it, but completely agree with everything said about it.  It wasn't good.

Suicide Squad, though... good god, it's atrocious.   Arguably the least entertaining movie I've seen this year.  It's terrible.

Well it's all subjective. I loved every minute. To each his own though.

« Reply #2293 on: August 05, 2016, 04:16:01 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
The new Star Trek, and it stunk.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #2294 on: August 05, 2016, 04:16:29 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
That's how I feel about the marvel flicks. I can't fathom how adults  enjoy these movies. Just joke after joke. I think of them basically as expendables with superpowers. No sense of danger, high stakes and awful villains. No real stories to them. But I'm in the minority I realize . I like dark movies. I didn't agree with editing problems and other criticisms. I do however understand people not wanting dark movies. Yeah, marvel is like the expendables and / of pirates of the carribean. Both very successful franchises. But to me they are campy and just not for me.