Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948672 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2220 on: February 05, 2016, 07:44:35 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Just got home from seeing "13 Hours."   I thought it was excellent.  To be fair, my husband wasn't crazy about it.  He couldn't believe our government could have an Embassy with such a lack of security.  He thought it was too "Hollywood/" (I guess he doesn't follow the news.)  I highly recommend it, but don't take the children.  (Violence and language) 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 07:50:48 PM by thirstyboots18 »
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2221 on: February 05, 2016, 07:54:34 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Wolf children.  Japanese animation.  Pretty cool.   Didn't see it for me

« Reply #2222 on: March 08, 2016, 10:34:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Martian - a bit late to this party but have to say it was an excellent movie.  thought the final rescue scene was a bit farfetched but had to admit I was a bit anxious for the characters during the rescue -- waiting for what else could go wrong.

« Reply #2223 on: March 08, 2016, 12:20:18 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Just got home from seeing "13 Hours."   I thought it was excellent.  To be fair, my husband wasn't crazy about it.  He couldn't believe our government could have an Embassy with such a lack of security.  He thought it was too "Hollywood/" (I guess he doesn't follow the news.)  I highly recommend it, but don't take the children.  (Violence and language)
The government ignored hundreds of requests for additional security.

« Reply #2224 on: March 08, 2016, 12:40:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The government ignored hundreds of requests for additional security.
Also it's more an "office" than embassy in the government's mind. It was a soft target not believed worth attack. Which is why added security wasn't timely added.

« Reply #2225 on: March 08, 2016, 12:53:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Spectre
It was good action but wish it had stayed more cloak and dagger through out after its big start. Enjoyed the beginning but didn't buy the end basically. It started with its great action then went spy book mystery that became Hollywood ended. I rather it be all Hollywood like Mission Impossible or all cloak and dagger mystery. Blending the two just doesn't seem to fit as it always leads to rush wrap ups so action can happen.  3 1/2 out of 5

« Reply #2226 on: March 08, 2016, 12:54:29 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Battleship Potempkin.  It was tough for my ADHD brain to handle

« Reply #2227 on: March 08, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Finally saw "Spotlight"...

Not the best movie of the year.   

« Reply #2228 on: March 08, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
deadpool

« Reply #2229 on: March 08, 2016, 01:44:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
deadpool
how was it?  I've heard some good feedback -- worth seeing in the theater or better to wait for the DVD?

« Reply #2230 on: March 08, 2016, 01:59:22 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
deadpool
how was it?  I've heard some good feedback -- worth seeing in the theater or better to wait for the DVD?
If you are familiar with the character you'll like him.  If not... Do you remember Jim Carrey in "The Mask"?  He's basically that, but R rated and crude.  The action is similar to movies like "kick ass" and the more violent parts of "kingsmen secret service". The best parts are the meta in-jokes about Fox studios/Marvel.   It's a fun movie but the hype is a bit overdone. It's not for everyone.

« Reply #2231 on: March 08, 2016, 02:02:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Not as good as Mad Max: Fury Road?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2232 on: March 08, 2016, 02:33:11 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Imo, mad max was robbed.  That's the film I'll remember from last year. It was an achievement in filmmaking and deserved an Oscar.   There were other films I would have picked over spotlight as well.

Spotlight was ok.  The academy has a tendency to give awards to films they believe make a statement or tell an important message that the world needs to be aware of.  I understand that, but it wasn't the best movie of the year.  Period.

« Reply #2233 on: March 08, 2016, 03:08:37 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Imo, mad max was robbed.  That's the film I'll remember from last year. It was an achievement in filmmaking and deserved an Oscar.   There were other films I would have picked over spotlight as well.

Spotlight was ok.  The academy has a tendency to give awards to films they believe make a statement or tell an important message that the world needs to be aware of.  I understand that, but it wasn't the best movie of the year.  Period.

Well, it did get six of them.

Spotlight was very very good, but the subject matter was just so heavy. The performances were pretty stellar across the board. Its not a movie that you're going to sit down and watch over and over like a Mad Max style of entertainment, but it was still very good.

Having school vacation a couple weeks ago I was able to tune into a bunch of movies and also saw Deadpool this weekend.

Black Mass - 6/10. Depp was great but it felt like Joel Edgerton was the main character. Suffered from a poor script, could have been much better.

Martian - 9/10. Loved it.

Goosebumps - 7.5/10. Was actually somewhat entertained with this one. Went into it with no expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. They definitely could have done a much better job, I'd love to see a darker version of some of the books but it was alright none the less.

Everest - 7/10. Great visuals but too hollywoodized for me.

Rewatched The Game - 9/10. Its a great movie.

Spotlight - 8.7/10. Very good film. Maybe not the most entertaining, but it was very good.

Deadpool - 7/10. It was good, quirky, unique. But Im a Batman guy. I thought the plot was too quick. The movie was really just one scene and some background. Worth it I guess.

*Edit* LarBrd33 pretty much nails the review of Deadpool up a few comments from my eyes.

Finally, I was recommended to watch You Can Count on Me from 2000 with Mark Ruffalo and Laura Linney. I had actually never heard of it but It was fantastic and definitely worth the view. Very indie feel to it but Mark Ruffalo is phenomenal in one of his first major roles and a young Rory Culkin is fantastic as well. Laura Linney got an oscar nod for the performance as well. And Matthew Broderick plays just a part that you would expect Matthew Broderick to play. Great stuff. 9/10.

« Reply #2234 on: March 08, 2016, 03:39:37 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Well, it did get six of them.

Spotlight was very very good, but the subject matter was just so heavy. The performances were pretty stellar across the board. Its not a movie that you're going to sit down and watch over and over like a Mad Max style of entertainment, but it was still very good.

Having school vacation a couple weeks ago I was able to tune into a bunch of movies and also saw Deadpool this weekend.

Black Mass - 6/10. Depp was great but it felt like Joel Edgerton was the main character. Suffered from a poor script, could have been much better.

Martian - 9/10. Loved it.

Goosebumps - 7.5/10. Was actually somewhat entertained with this one. Went into it with no expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. They definitely could have done a much better job, I'd love to see a darker version of some of the books but it was alright none the less.

Everest - 7/10. Great visuals but too hollywoodized for me.

Rewatched The Game - 9/10. Its a great movie.

Spotlight - 8.7/10. Very good film. Maybe not the most entertaining, but it was very good.

Deadpool - 7/10. It was good, quirky, unique. But Im a Batman guy. I thought the plot was too quick. The movie was really just one scene and some background. Worth it I guess.

*Edit* LarBrd33 pretty much nails the review of Deadpool up a few comments from my eyes.

Finally, I was recommended to watch You Can Count on Me from 2000 with Mark Ruffalo and Laura Linney. I had actually never heard of it but It was fantastic and definitely worth the view. Very indie feel to it but Mark Ruffalo is phenomenal in one of his first major roles and a young Rory Culkin is fantastic as well. Laura Linney got an oscar nod for the performance as well. And Matthew Broderick plays just a part that you would expect Matthew Broderick to play. Great stuff. 9/10.
I loved Fury Road, but watching it a second time would be deathly boring. Hoult was awesome though.

I guess I don't pay attention to new releases as I haven't even heard of Spotlight. Just googled it. Hmmm. Exposing child molesting clergy? Right in my wheelhouse.