Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 959072 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2055 on: February 22, 2014, 04:07:01 AM »

Kiorrik

« Reply #2056 on: February 22, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Watched Blackfish this morning. Very interesting from all aspects. Well done.
I still need to watch Blackfish.  I found out one of the former SeaWorld trainers interviewed in that movie (Samantha Berg) is my long-lost cousin.  Kinda strange how I found out...

Last year I was doing some digging on Ancestry.com trying to trace my family tree.  I started looking at old census and military documents of my Great Grandfather from 1910, 1920, 1930, etc.  We thought he only had two kids... my grandfather and his brother.  But on a couple of those old documents, it seemed to suggest there was a third kid... a daughter named Gertrude.    My Grandfather is 94 right now.  I called him up and asked if he ever had a sister name Gertrude.  I thought maybe she passed away young or something.   He said no.   I dug deeper.  Turns out my Great-Grandfather had an earlier marriage none of us knew about.  His young wife had a baby girl and then died a month after childbirth from complications.  For reasons I can only speculate, the baby (Gertrude) ended up being raised by her mother's family... seemingly abandoned by my Great-Grandfather.  He then went on to have a second marriage... they had my Grandfather and his brother... and nobody had any idea there was an abandoned half-sister named Gertrude.  Sad times. 

So anyways, I had the name of my grandfather's lost sister and a rough idea of when she was born (having seen the mother's death certificate)... so I started going through census documents trying to trace Gertrude's steps from 1916 onward.  At some point she disappeared from the records... so I had a hunch that maybe Gertrude got married.  I started looking for marriage records.  I found one that seemed to match her name/birthdate/birth location.  She married a man with the last name Berg.  So then I started trying to find records in her married name.  Eventually I found a death record from 2008 that seemed like it might be the right person.   I then searched Google for obituaries.   I came across an Obituary that listed the name of the surviving daughter and grandchildren of a woman who may or may not have been the Gertrude I was looking for.   Then I hopped on Facebook and tried to track down the grandchildren listed in the obituary. Eventually I came across Samantha Berg... I awkwardly explained who I was and how I found her.  I relayed some information I knew... she confirmed a bunch of details... it was indeed the correct Gertrude.   From my research, I was able to fill them in on all sorts of details about the family that they weren't aware of.  Her family seemed to appreciate it.   So Samantha's grandmother (Grandmother) and my grandfather were half-siblings.   It's a shame Gertrude passed away in 2008... my grandfather is still around. 

Anyways... Samantha is my facebook friend now.  I saw her post some status update about "Blackfish" recently.  Apparently she's one of the main people featured in that movie. I've heard good things about it.  It's on my Netflix queue.

And as for the whole "family tree" thing... if anyone has ever considered doing it, I totally recommend it.  Don't put it off... especially if you have grandparents that are still around.  There are so many details they can share with you that will help you on your search.  Don't let it fade away and die with them.  I found it to be a really interesting experience.  I found all sorts of information on both sides of my family... some interesting stuff.  Some heartbreaking stuff.  Some dark family secrets. Some awesome stuff.  I think it's good to have some perspective on where you came from and what bizarre series of events lead to you wasting large chunks of your privileged First World life on Celticsblog. 

« Reply #2057 on: February 22, 2014, 06:58:01 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Disneys Frozen.
It was great-5stars.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2058 on: February 22, 2014, 07:12:10 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Last movie I saw in the theater was "Lego Movie".  It was fun.

I was trying to do my "Top 10" from last year.  I watched pretty much all the Oscar contenders.  They were all solid.  I felt some were a bit overrated.  Some were good, but didn't really make my personal "top 10". 

So in no particular order... here's my FAVORITE movies from 2013 (not necessarily what I felt were the best)

"Gravity" - It's weak writing, but who cares.  It's amazing filmmaking.  If you didn't see that movie in the theater, I feel bad for you.  Some of those long takes were INCREDIBLE.  Alfonso Cuaron's movies are the closest you can get in a film to feeling like you are in the middle of a thrill ride.

"Mud" - I thought it was really well done.  I'm all-in on the McConnaissance.

"In A World..." - It's not great, but it was one of my favorite movies of 2014.  I just thought it was delightful.  Lake Bell really surprised me.  I only knew of her as some secondary character on "How to Make it in America"... This movie was great fun.

"Drinking Buddies" - It's a funny movie.  It also was a bit depressing.  The movie stuck with me.  I wasn't expecting it.  I later read that it's part of the "mumblecore" movement.  Instead of having a traditional script they basically just have an outline of what should happen from one scene to the next.  Everything in between is basically improvised.  It makes for dialogue that feels really natural and "real".  I liked it.

"Her" - I mean... I really dug aspects of it.  Mostly the high-waisted pants and the subtle futurisms.  It really made me wonder if Spike Jonze was a pansexual polyamorous, though.

"Frozen" - Because it was the closet thing I've seen to classic Disney musicals in YEARS.  It fits right in with movies like Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, etc.  I missed those kind of movies.

"Short Term 12" - I randomly watched this movie a few days ago and thought it was exceptionally well done.  I'm a fan of Brie Larson.  Her character is a supervisor at a foster-care facility for at-risk teenagers.  It made my top 10.

I think that's only 7...  I need to add 3 more. 

I guess "Wolf of Wall Street".  It was fun for the first half and then brutally dark and depressing for the second half. I'm guessing the whole thing is a metaphor for heavy drug use.   

I'll just throw "This is the End" up there since it had some genuinely funny moments.   

For the last spot... I'll just pick a big blockbuster.  Either "Pacific Rim" or "Man of Steel".  I 'll go with "Man of Steel".  I hated it, but I loved it.

« Reply #2059 on: August 01, 2014, 09:22:32 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I tried to watch Noah. Turned it off after an hour. IMO, nearly unwatchable.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2060 on: August 01, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Wednesday evening, I screened "Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo" for my father.  Fascinating to see Mifune and Katsu acting together in many scenes, even if the script was a tad scattered at times.  Prior to that, I viewed the most recent Jim Jarmusch film, "Only Lovers Live Forever" which I found to be a tad disappointing.  Maybe I was pre-suckered by film reviews comparing it to "Dead Man" and "Ghost Dog." 

« Reply #2061 on: August 01, 2014, 09:44:24 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Wednesday evening, I screened "Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo" for my father.  Fascinating to see Mifune and Katsu acting together in many scenes, even if the script was a tad scattered at times.  Prior to that, I viewed the most recent Jim Jarmusch film, "Only Lovers Live Forever" which I found to be a tad disappointing.  Maybe I was pre-suckered by film reviews comparing it to "Dead Man" and "Ghost Dog."

You have good taste in film -- even if I can't find myself enjoying Jarmusch films as much as I'd like.

Just watched Hotel Budapest after giving Wes Anderson's one-movie-made-several-times a long break. Was pleasantly surprised at the maturity and shift.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2062 on: August 01, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
saw Lego Movie and A Million Ways to Die in the West. 

really disappointed in Lego movie.  was expecting something so much funnier.  Disappointed in West too for the same reason but not as much.  had some funny moments but was expecting more.

12 Years a Slave was great.  very well done.

« Reply #2063 on: August 01, 2014, 10:19:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Edge of tomorrow.

Great movie

« Reply #2064 on: August 01, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Just watched out of the furnace which was actually really good.

Also this week watched;

American Psycho-wild

Who framed roger rabbit-awesome

And Terminator for the first time-yes I said it. First time. So what?!?

« Reply #2065 on: August 01, 2014, 10:30:29 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Snowpiercer and Life Itself are very good movies that you can watch on VOD.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2066 on: August 01, 2014, 11:10:30 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Watched Guardians of the Galaxy last night.

It was amazing. It really lives up to the hype. I really could see this being this generations Star Wars. A bunch of rag tag outcast saving the galaxy. The cast had great chemistry that other Space films that have been labelled as the "next Star Wars" didn't have.

It has heart, but not too much heart, and a lot of action, and tons of funny scenes and one liners that just keep rolling. It's fun to see a human that hasn't been to earth in years, make references that are out dated, and that the other alien group members don't get.

Best movie all summer if you're just looking for a good time. Avengers 2 is going to have big shoes to fill after this one.

« Reply #2067 on: August 01, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
anxious to watch Hercules and Planet of the Apes, job won't allow me to have free time past few months lol

« Reply #2068 on: August 01, 2014, 11:39:05 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
So weird to see Chris Pratt as a huge, A-List movie star.

« Reply #2069 on: August 01, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Disney's Frozen. It was also the last movie I watched before the last, and the one before that, and the one before that, and....

so it goes with a four year old.
Celtics fan for life.