Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 945415 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1845 on: April 26, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The Croods

Pretty goofy.  Some very colorful critters and a few laughs.

Very good father/daughter movie.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #1846 on: April 27, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The Croods

Pretty goofy.  Some very colorful critters and a few laughs.

Very good father/daughter movie.
It's no Brave, but the relationship was definitely a lot more realistic (inasmuch as we're talking cavemen etc...)
Yup

« Reply #1847 on: April 27, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Finally saw Lincoln last night.  As a huge history buff, and someone who has no problem with slow or dialogue-driven movies, I am surprised to say that I found this to be one of the biggest disappointments of the year.  Quite frankly, I was bored out of my mind, and I read history books for fun!  I found myself repeatedly losing interest in a movie that is about something I find incredibly interesting.

There were also way too many big names in it, even for minor characters...I found that to be a major distraction.  For the first half hour, instead of noticing the character, I kept thinking "where have I seen that actor before?"  Only Day-Lewis truly disappeared into the role of Lincoln (he was a lone bright spot in an otherwise dull and meandering movie).

Just saw it last week.  I thought good, not great. 

The story was intriguing enough for me and Lewis as Lincoln compelling enough to keep me interested.  Despite the high quality of his performance I couldn't help thinking that Lincoln (in this portrayal) was too good to be true. Folksy, brilliant, sensitive -- deep and light, focused and daffy, all at once.  They worked hard at portraying him as uniquely great man.   Almost too great. 

The most real part of the character, I suspect, was the palpable exhaustion you could see in him.  The pervasive weariness I don't doubt, but makes his greatness -- including his capacity to keep steady and heady under extreme pressure from work and family seemed a bit too much to believe.  I ended the movie feeling that the biggest tragedy of his death was that the guy would never be able to sleep in on the weekend.

« Reply #1848 on: April 27, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Despite the high quality of his performance I couldn't help thinking that Lincoln (in this portrayal) was too good to be true. Folksy, brilliant, sensitive -- deep and light, focused and daffy, all at once.  They worked hard at portraying him as uniquely great man.   Almost too great.

You must not have read that much on Lincoln or you would not be surprised.   Do you realize he picked an adversarial cabinet to get opposing views.  I think Lincoln was a uniquely great man, that made it through incompetent generals to win the greatest crisis this nation ever faced.   He also did morally right but incredibly difficult things like end slavery.   He was going to welcome the South back with welcome arms but John Wilkes Booth killed perhaps their greatest friend.

« Reply #1849 on: April 27, 2013, 07:45:44 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Despite the high quality of his performance I couldn't help thinking that Lincoln (in this portrayal) was too good to be true. Folksy, brilliant, sensitive -- deep and light, focused and daffy, all at once.  They worked hard at portraying him as uniquely great man.   Almost too great.

You must not have read that much on Lincoln or you would not be surprised.   Do you realize he picked an adversarial cabinet to get opposing views.  I think Lincoln was a uniquely great man, that made it through incompetent generals to win the greatest crisis this nation ever faced.   He also did morally right but incredibly difficult things like end slavery.   He was going to welcome the South back with welcome arms but John Wilkes Booth killed perhaps their greatest friend.

True I have not been an avid Lincoln reader but I was not surprised by the greatness of acomplishments nor the rightiousness of his values.  It was his demeanor that had me scrathing my head.  Again -- seemed too good to be true, not only his deportment with political friends and foes, but also in his warmth and composure with family (challenges with his son notwithstanding).

In addition, his interactions with 'regular folk' were unpretentious, comfortable and pithy all at once -- leaving his audience with no doubt of his greatness -- at one point I thought they were going to shine a light on him and sound a heavenly choir.

Not saying it wasn't accurate but I was surprised by the vast goodness.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 08:15:19 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #1850 on: May 09, 2013, 10:25:06 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
oblivion.....it was awesome (although my little lady HATED it).  unique, original, and good plot twists.  im a sci-fi sucker

« Reply #1851 on: May 09, 2013, 10:43:36 PM »

Kiorrik

Django Unchained. Man that was awesome :]

« Reply #1852 on: May 09, 2013, 11:00:26 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Iron Man 3. So good and the reveal after the credits was such a good button to the whole movie.

« Reply #1853 on: May 09, 2013, 11:06:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Iron Man 3. So good and the reveal after the credits was such a good button to the whole movie.

Sooo good. Just so good. 'You can breath fire?!'

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1854 on: May 09, 2013, 11:10:11 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Sooo good. Just so good. 'You can breath fire?!'

I don't even like working here, the people are so weird.

« Reply #1855 on: May 09, 2013, 11:25:31 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Iron Man 3 and it was excellent.

TPs for KC and IP.

Oh and I need a flip screen.

« Reply #1856 on: May 09, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Airplane!

Classic never dies. And this one particularly doesnt get old.

« Reply #1857 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:24 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Iron Man 3 was perhaps the best Iron Man movie, IMHO...if u haven't seen it yet, do it!

HulkBuster Armor is AWESOME....I wish they could've incorporated it in the Avengers movie..."Hulk Vs Iron Man" or something.

Movie has plenty of twists, too...not all is at is seems....keeps u in your seats.

« Reply #1858 on: May 09, 2013, 11:48:20 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
oblivion.....it was awesome (although my little lady HATED it).  unique, original, and good plot twists.  im a sci-fi sucker
Totally agree ... original, intense, amazing CGI, solid story and acting ... loved it!

Can't wait for Ender's Game, (looking forward to Into Darkness and World War Z as well).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #1859 on: May 10, 2013, 12:07:50 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Totally agree ... original, intense, amazing CGI, solid story and acting ... loved it!

Can't wait for Ender's Game, (looking forward to Into Darkness and World War Z as well).

I saw the Enders game trailer, and got the sneaking suspicion that it was going to absolutely suck. This is coming from a person who believes Speaker For The Dead is the most perfect science fiction book ever written, and a guy who has been waiting for an ender's game movie longer than he'd been wanting to kiss girls. The book is a defining moment for me in my growth as a human being.

And it looked like they turned it into a CGI slopfest pseudo-action movie.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner