Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948679 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1665 on: September 18, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
"The Grey"
2011, Director: Joe Carnahan

At the insistence of many I finally caught this thriller on Netflix two nights ago.  For those of the campy Liam Neeson action fan club, this is positively a must see.  Much like his outrages cult hit "Taken" in 2008, Neeson is a force of nature when he goes full-boar over-the-top, and this film relishes in it.  But unlike "Taken," "The Grey" really stays within itself, and features just enough adventurous storytelling devices to keep you in your seat for the whole film.  Best if taken with a grain of salt.  :)

"Drive"
2011, Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

I've had a bad taste in my mouth ever since I watched this rudderless ship crash into an iceberg for 2 hours - two hours I will never get back.  I don't even know what the director was going for - the piercing 80's outfits and soundtrack; the hypnotically repetitive montage-storytelling; the long scenes of actors staring at each other in expressionless silence; the shocking-and-awe splatter gore - all this without any semblance of pacing, plot structure or rhythm.

But even a broken watch is right twice a day, and to that end the film does feature a very exciting first 15 minutes.  My sincere recommendation to anyone who is contemplating watching would be to turn it off after the initial car chase scene, secure in the knowledge that nothing remotely that cool ever happens again. Don't say I didn't warn you.  >:(

I thought drive was absolutely brilliant.

Well I think you're brilliant, please teach me :)

Why, thank you... TP for you.

Np, TP back at ya, now defend yourself! Hahaha, tell me why you thought "Drive" was brilliant, perhaps I'm missing something...

« Reply #1666 on: September 18, 2012, 12:33:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Hunger Games...just an evil film
is that a good thing or bad thing?  it's next on my Netflix queue
saw it over the weekend finally.  it was much better than I expected.

Ya, its a pretty solid flick.  I still claim that I hate it so that I get brownie points with the GF for sitting through it, but its pretty decent.
smart move--be entertained while scoring points with GF.  nice.

other than the main character being a girl, I didn't find it to be a particularly 'girlie' movie.  Could have just has easily switched the genders of the main characters and kept the story fairly intact.

« Reply #1667 on: September 18, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Np, TP back at ya, now defend yourself! Hahaha, tell me why you thought "Drive" was brilliant, perhaps I'm missing something...

I dug Drive as well, and I think the pace (slow burn dramatic buildup punctuated by moments of intense violence) was on of the strongest aspects of the movie.  I also like that the lead character was the strong, silent type.  It's a refreshing change from most movies of like Drive, where the protagonist is always super-cool and witty.

« Reply #1668 on: September 18, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Hunger Games...just an evil film
is that a good thing or bad thing?  it's next on my Netflix queue
saw it over the weekend finally.  it was much better than I expected.

Ya, its a pretty solid flick.  I still claim that I hate it so that I get brownie points with the GF for sitting through it, but its pretty decent.
smart move--be entertained while scoring points with GF.  nice.

other than the main character being a girl, I didn't find it to be a particularly 'girlie' movie.  Could have just has easily switched the genders of the main characters and kept the story fairly intact.

Supposedly the next two movies are where the love triangles start though.  Funnnn
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #1669 on: September 22, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Being an 80's baby, lately I've been on kind of an old school kick (for me anyways).  Been watching a lot of movies I always knew about (and so did every other kid who grew up in my time) but never saw, basically R rated movies that came out when I was a kid.  Like a few months ago, I watched every Friday the 13th, from 1 to 9, in order within like a 2 week span.  I'd seen bits and pieces as a kid, like when I'd stay up late when my parents weren't home and one would be on tv, and I understood who Jason was, but it was pretty cool to see the progression of Jason's character and the continuity of the story line (no matter how weak and shallow it was), like how Jason didn't become superhuman until part 6.  But anyways, on to my latest watch.

I watched the original Robocop.  How this movie spawned 2 sequels and a coming remake, as well as a toy line, video games, kids cartoon, etc. I will never know.  According to wikipedia it was considered one of the best films of 1987, are you kidding me!? This movie was terrible.  One of the most memorable scenes in the movie, how can you even take this thing seriously, and it's even over the top by today's standards 25 years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9IscZMYYw0

Anyways, it's kind of baffling how gory, violent R rated movies like this (and it actually had an X rating originally, but after 11 tries was brought down to an R rating) were then in turn turned into a kids franchise spawning cartoons and toy lines and referenced on kids shows (like Saved By the Bell).  Crazy.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1670 on: September 22, 2012, 07:30:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Loved Ones

Oh man. 4.5 starts out of 5. It is like Misery and Fear (Mark Wahlberg, crazy stalker movie) had a kid and sent it to the prom. This movie is a horror movie, is a gore movie, but man, is it good. They set you up for a sexually charged teen angsty stalker movie but it gets sooo dark, and it keeps switching directions on you so what you think will happen, doesn't, then it does, but not when you thought it would.

It got a 97% on rotten tomatoes from critics, and unless this type of movie's whole premise will turn you off (and for some, it will. Especially older or more conservative audiences), you will not be able to look away or dismiss it once you're done, but it won't haunt you, it's more like a scary rollercoaster, than a movie like Hostel that creeps you out every time you see someone's Achilles outlined. And it doesn't rely on torture or gore like Saw does to shock audiences, as Hannibal would say, "That....is incidental."

Wow this movie is whacked, man. Just wow. Frontal lobotomies, dark humor, crazy deranged villian...so worth it.

Pimping this again, because as of yet not a single person I know has watched it.

WATCH IT!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1671 on: September 22, 2012, 10:17:58 PM »

Offline Valentines_at_Popeyes

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs7Go24Rd8o

Key Largo with Bogie and Bacall.

« Reply #1672 on: September 22, 2012, 10:54:07 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Chasing Amy.  It was just on Showtime.

« Reply #1673 on: September 23, 2012, 01:13:00 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
The Loved Ones

Oh man. 4.5 starts out of 5. It is like Misery and Fear (Mark Wahlberg, crazy stalker movie) had a kid and sent it to the prom. This movie is a horror movie, is a gore movie, but man, is it good. They set you up for a sexually charged teen angsty stalker movie but it gets sooo dark, and it keeps switching directions on you so what you think will happen, doesn't, then it does, but not when you thought it would.

It got a 97% on rotten tomatoes from critics, and unless this type of movie's whole premise will turn you off (and for some, it will. Especially older or more conservative audiences), you will not be able to look away or dismiss it once you're done, but it won't haunt you, it's more like a scary rollercoaster, than a movie like Hostel that creeps you out every time you see someone's Achilles outlined. And it doesn't rely on torture or gore like Saw does to shock audiences, as Hannibal would say, "That....is incidental."

Wow this movie is whacked, man. Just wow. Frontal lobotomies, dark humor, crazy deranged villian...so worth it.

Pimping this again, because as of yet not a single person I know has watched it.

WATCH IT!

Just did per your recommendation. I was pleasently surprised and enjoyed it quite a bit. Not sure of it warrants a 97 though.

« Reply #1674 on: September 23, 2012, 03:05:03 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Batman Begins - bcuz I totally forgot to watch it all after 7 years and 2 sequels.
Easily considering the new Batman trilogy one of the best series of all time

I Love You, Man - PRudd is always great. JSegal great in his role
Funny movie

Due Date - one of funniest movies ever IMO
2nd favorite RDjr role next to Iron Man, and Galafanakis is at his best
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #1675 on: September 23, 2012, 03:14:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Loved Ones

WATCH IT!

Just did per your recommendation. I was pleasently surprised and enjoyed it quite a
bit. Not sure of it warrants a 97 though.

Well TP to you then sir.

The 97% does seem high, in retrospect, I'd describe it like this:

It's like when you're hungry, so you stop at a food cart and get a sausage with peppers and onions for $4. You realize that it is actually one of the best 'street meats' you've ever had. Completely blows away your expectations.

But at the end of the day, it is just a sausage you got from a food cart. It's not like it compares to a Ruth Chris steak.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1676 on: September 23, 2012, 07:22:20 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
"The Grey"
2011, Director: Joe Carnahan

At the insistence of many I finally caught this thriller on Netflix two nights ago.  For those of the campy Liam Neeson action fan club, this is positively a must see.  Much like his outrages cult hit "Taken" in 2008, Neeson is a force of nature when he goes full-boar over-the-top, and this film relishes in it.  But unlike "Taken," "The Grey" really stays within itself, and features just enough adventurous storytelling devices to keep you in your seat for the whole film.  Best if taken with a grain of salt.  :)

"Drive"
2011, Director: Nicolas Winding Refn

I've had a bad taste in my mouth ever since I watched this rudderless ship crash into an iceberg for 2 hours - two hours I will never get back.  I don't even know what the director was going for - the piercing 80's outfits and soundtrack; the hypnotically repetitive montage-storytelling; the long scenes of actors staring at each other in expressionless silence; the shocking-and-awe splatter gore - all this without any semblance of pacing, plot structure or rhythm.

But even a broken watch is right twice a day, and to that end the film does feature a very exciting first 15 minutes.  My sincere recommendation to anyone who is contemplating watching would be to turn it off after the initial car chase scene, secure in the knowledge that nothing remotely that cool ever happens again. Don't say I didn't warn you.  >:(

I thought drive was absolutely brilliant.

Well I think you're brilliant, please teach me :)

Why, thank you... TP for you.

I think I dug it for all the reasons you didn't. The 80's synth soundtrack was complete badass cheeseyness, goslings character didn't talk for about the first twenty minutes of the movie but was still able to carry his role without useless dialouge, I really liked the plot. The violence was completely unexpected, the movie kept twisting and turning, and the image of him in the mask on top of the cliff near the ocean was one of the most haunting images I've ever seen. I don't know, I just thought it was a very refreshing very creative piece of original art in a world that keeps reproducing and regurgitating the same crap over and over! Plus he had a badass jacket.

« Reply #1677 on: September 23, 2012, 08:56:07 AM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
The Harold and Kumar Christmas movie was pretty funny.  I didn't expect much but it was good.

« Reply #1678 on: September 23, 2012, 08:59:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
21 Jump Street...  I had pretty low expectations, but it was pretty dang funny.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1679 on: September 23, 2012, 09:36:58 AM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
What's eating Gilbert Grape is a pretty amazing film. Missed it when it first came out. DiCaprio plays a mentally handicapped kid. Pretty amazing performance.

By the same director Salmon Fishing in Yemen. Not as good; but still a good film.