Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948988 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
2001: A Space Odyssey - 4 stars - Perfect, and I'll leave it at that.

Trick 'r Treat - 3 stars - Horror movie that went under the radar in 2008. Awesome concept, kind of like a Sin City comic book style Halloween movie. There are tons of homages to other horror movies throughout, very fun to try to spot them. My only problem with the movie was that it just wasn't very scary. Two minutely scary parts. Where as Paranormal Activity stuck with me for a few days.

Paradise Now - 3 stars - Very good foreign film about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Very in depth look at the ethical dilemma of martyrdom. In my opinion more could have been done as far as the history of the conflict for those who don't know much about it. Flashbacks to Said's fathers life would have been a great way to do it. The movie was only an hour and a half long another half hour of detailed history wouldn't have made the movie too long or unbearable. I have looked into the situation so I understood the movie. I believe that people who have never read anything about the conflict however, would be lost for a lot of it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:43:51 PM by MattG12 »

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2010, 11:15:59 AM »

Offline CelticS 86

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 9
the blind side: great movie
2012: good movie
“Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up.”

-Red Auerbach

« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2010, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I watched Valkyrie the other day.  Very interesting, for those into history.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

Offline slam

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 22
I watched 3 last night.  I'm addicted to movies.  I tend to give movies very low scores because I'm such a critic, and because I watch so many, I've probably dilluted the impact they have on me somewhat.

Staten Island: 4/10
Transformers 2: 5/10
The Serious Man: 4/10 (incredibly well done, very deep, just didn't enjoy it that much)
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.

« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2010, 12:53:24 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
District 9 - Doooopeeee
Gamer - Baaadddd
Invention of Lying - ZzzZZzZZZz

« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2010, 01:16:25 PM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
Over the past weekend I watched Gone Baby Gone and The Assassination of Jesse James.  It was an all Casey Affleck weekend!

Jesse James was ok, but I thought Gone Baby Gone was great, especially being a Boston based movie.
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2010, 02:53:58 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Let The Right One In

A very solid film...9 out of 10.

« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2010, 03:12:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I watched Valkyrie the other day.  Very interesting, for those into history.

I liked Valkyrie
Yup

« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2010, 04:07:46 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
In a mere half hour I shall be smelling what the Tooth Fairy has cooking. 

Yup

« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2010, 07:29:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
tooth fairy...predictably not so great, but the disappointing part was that they were gearing it towards a bit older age group than my kids'.
Yup

« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2010, 07:58:38 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Jaws...
and 2001: A Space Odyssey again because it was that good.

Watching Punch-Drunk Love as soon as the current game is over.

Then I have a long list of movies to watch that I own and have not yet watched...

A FiEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
Lost Highway
Gone With the Wind
12 Angry Men
Broken Trail
and, The Savages.

« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I consider Broken Trail to be the best made-for-TV movie ever made.  Both Robert Duvall and Thomas Hayden Church were excellent, and so was the script and the cinematography.

« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2010, 09:07:46 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
I consider Broken Trail to be the best made-for-TV movie ever made.  Both Robert Duvall and Thomas Hayden Church were excellent, and so was the script and the cinematography.

I've heard nothing but good things about the movie. Yet the only places I see it sold are supermarkets for 5 dollars... very strange. Can't wait to watch it though.

« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2010, 12:47:41 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Punch-Drunk Love was really, really good. I should have expected it. Paul Thomas Anderson is a very good director (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood). This is the second movie I have actually liked Adam Sandler in (As an actor). I think he's a funny guy but just not my kind of comedy, but he is great in Punch-Drunk Love and Funny People. The movie itself was kind of along the same lines of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Garden State, or Stranger Than Fiction. (Comedy's that have an edge to them and require more than just comedic actors). Each of those movies are great acting parts for Sandler, Will Ferrell, Zach Braff, and Jim Carrey. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a great in a very small role. I gave it a 3 out of 4 on my scale, an 8 out of 10 on the IMDB scale.

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2010, 01:09:29 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Just went to Avatar today ... I'm a sci-fi freak anyway, but this movie took my breath away. I personally don't get into all the analysis of movies and how they relate to present politics or what subliminal messages they may be carrying ... when I watch a movie I want to be "entertained" ... period, in whatever way the movie delivers.

The scientist in me loves to analyze, but I taught myself long ago that when it comes to movies and entertainment, I just let the film hit me as it does, and either enjoy it for what it is, or not. This movie absolutely blew me away, and transported me to another time and place as no other movie has ever done.

So while I'll leave the over-analysis to others, the impact of this movie as "entertainment" was absolutely phenomenal, and the quality of the 3D was on a new level as well ... can't wait to see it again! The timing was perfect, too, as I truly needed an escape from reality ... big time. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *