Author Topic: Celtics (18-4) at Bulls (8-13) 12/12  (Read 56523 times)

Celtics (18-4) at Bulls (8-13) 12/12
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:21:02 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (18-4) at Chicago Bulls (8-13)
Saturday, December 12
8:00 PM ET
Game #23,  Away Game #12
TV:  CSNNE, CSN6, RTV, NBA TV
Radio:  WEEI, WMVP
United Center

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Rajon Rondo  vs  Derrick Rose

Shooting Guard
  vs 
Ray Allen vs John Salmons   

Small Forward
vs 
Paul Pierce vs Luol Deng

Power Forward
  vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Brad Miller

Center
vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Joakim Noah 

Coach: Doc Rivers
Average Age: 27.8
Average Height: 6-6
Average Weight: 224

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Eddie House
Shelden Williams
Lester Hudson
JR Giddens
Tony Allen
Brian Scalabrine

Injuries
Marquis Daniels (thumb)  out
Big Baby Davis (thumb) out

D-League
Bill Walker 

Coach: Vinny Del Negro
Average Age: 27.1
Average Height: 6-7
Average Weight: 225

Reserves
Taj Gibson
Kirk Hinrich
Lindsey Hunter 
James Johnson
Jannero Pargo
Aaron Gray

Injuries
Jerome James (achilles)  out 
Tyrus Thomas (arm)  out

Key Matchups 
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Derrick Rose
It is personal between these two point guards ever since they faced each other in the opening round of the playoffs last season.  Rondo has clearly had the edge in their matchups so far.  Derrick Rose will be looking for some payback.  This should be fun to watch. 

vs
Paul Pierce vs Luol Deng
Luol Deng guards Paul Pierce as well as almost anyone in the league.  His length seems to bother Pierce and he has struggled against him in the past.   Unlike in the past, when Deng bothers him on defense, Pierce can just pass off to one of his waiting teammates. 

Honorable Mention

vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Joakim Noah
These two got into it a couple of times in the playoffs.  Noah has to be one of the most irritating players in the league and he tends to get under his defenders' skin.   But Noah plays hard and this should be a battle inside. 

Team Connections
Celtics Assistant Coach Clifford Ray played for the Bulls from 1971-7
Paul Pierce and Kirk Hinrich are former Kansas Jayhawks
Tyrus Thomas and Glen Davis were teammates at Louisiana State
Taj Gibson and Brian Scalabrine are former USC Trojans
Lindsey Hunter and Rasheed Wallace were teammates with the Detroit Pistons from 2003-08
Brad Miller and John Salmons were teammates with Shelden
Williams in Sacramento during the 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons.

Game Notes 
• The Celtics are currently leading the Bulls 1-0 in the season series; the Celtics won the season series 2-1 against Chicago in 2008-09
• Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 22.3 points per game last season
• In his one appearance for the Bulls against the C’s, John Salmons netted 38 points
• It marked the second straight season that the C’s had won the season series and the first time since the 85-86 and 86-87 seasons that they had
done so
• The Celtics are leading the all-time series 108-84 with the Celtics 61-31 at home

It is safe to say that after last year's epic playoff series between these two teams, there is no love lost between them.  The Bulls remember all too well that 7 game series and they feel that they should have won it.   Noah said that he circled the Celtics' games when the schedule came out.  I'm sure Brad Miller remember Rondo every time he looks at the scars that Rondo left him.

The Celtics and Bulls are two teams who have been going in opposite directions.  The Celtics are 9-1 in their last 10 games and have won 9 in a row.  The Bulls are 2-8 in their last 10 games.   The Bulls are playing in the second of back to back games, having beat the Warriors on Friday night.  The Celtics had a day of rest but are in the middle of a 3 game road trip. 

The Bulls have a starting quality PG coming off their bench and so the Celtics will very much miss Marquis Daniels in this one.  Tony, Scal, Eddie, Sheed and Shelden will all have to step up to make up for his absence. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense is the key to every game this season.   The Celtics need to guard the perimeter as well as the interior because the Bulls have outside scorers as well as guys who can take it to the basket. 

Rebound - The Celtics need to put out the effort to go after rebounds on both ends.  When the Celtics get the offensive rebounds, it not only gives them second chance baskets, but it also prevents the Bulls from getting out on the break.  The Celtics need to grab the defensive rebounds to prevent the Bulls from getting second chance points. 

Keep Cool - The Bulls have a way of getting under players skins.  This could be a physical game and we have some very combustible players.   They need to keep their cool and not let the Bulls goad them into technical fouls. 

X Factor
Fatigue
 The Celtics have been on the road almost forever it seems.  They are playing in the 6th road game of their last 7 games.  That will wear on a team.  The Bulls are playing in the second of back to back games.  The team that has the most focus and energy, especially on the defensive end, will get the win. 

Re: Celtics (18-4) at Bulls (8-13) 12/12
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 08:45:02 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP FL!

Feeling good about this one. The Bulls have won their last game and will be hyped up against us but they've struggled so far and they are really poor on the offensive end. Let's play good D for a while and we will crush them, and then we will just have to keep our lead.

I'm predicting a big game from Ray. Remember the last time he played in Chicago? He scored 51 points and we lost the game, but I still think that if he had the game winning shot he would have make it. After all, he didn't miss a beat in this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFgPqYbpwI0

Let's go Celtics, make it 10 in a row!

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:08:13 AM »

Kiorrik

After the game against the Wizards, I'm expecting a whole lot out of our gang. I want to see that same offense, but this time I'd like to see it coupled with that insane defense for 4 quarters. This *should* be a rout, but as mentioned in the opening post (TP, FL ;D) there's a bunch of players on the Bulls that are really looking forward to giving us a hard time, and I believe they can do it.

I'm gambling on a solid game by rondo, and a stellar one by Perk. That's what I'm predicting.

I'll be around in the game thread, as usual. Drucci, how 'bout you?

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 11:12:09 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think boston rolls the bulls tonight...i think we will see a 20 plus point game from PP and we will eddie house hit some 3's

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »

Kiorrik

Btw, wasn't Chicago the city where Tony Allen has some erm... "friends"?

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'll be at United Center tonight.

Been looking forward to this game since I moved to Chicago back in September.  Pumped!   ;D

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 11:42:40 AM »

Offline chief3233

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 8
  • Bleed Green
I'll be at United Center tonight.

Been looking forward to this game since I moved to Chicago back in September.  Pumped!   ;D

I was planning on going, since I like only 5 hours away, but finals weekend got to me. I have 5 big tests next week and am really disappointed that I won't be attending the game. Anyway, I look forward to a big C's win and getting some JR and Lester time ;D.
"The emblem of a warrior, it's the swagger of an athlete, a champion and dynasty, it's gifted, golden, genuine and glorious. It is a lower-case god. It's the goat. The greatest of all time. What's G? It is the heart, hustle and soul of the game."

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Btw, wasn't Chicago the city where Tony Allen has some erm... "friends"?

Good Point..I had forgotten about that.

Man, I hope that doesn't affect Doc's decisions on playing him. We really need him playing well tonight.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 11:58:53 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks for post, FLCeltsFan.

Should be another win for us. Must keep an eye on Brad Miller at the three-line, though. That guy nailed some big ones from long range on us last year.

It'll be nice to see Perk and Noah renew their rivalry. Perk became a Man last year during that series.

Good thing is that we won't have to be concerned with Tyrus Thomas lurking around for his weakside shotblocking. He was a pest to say the least last year.

Nice post from Drucci on Ray Allen. He was hot to say the least in that game.

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
After the game against the Wizards, I'm expecting a whole lot out of our gang. I want to see that same offense, but this time I'd like to see it coupled with that insane defense for 4 quarters. This *should* be a rout, but as mentioned in the opening post (TP, FL ;D) there's a bunch of players on the Bulls that are really looking forward to giving us a hard time, and I believe they can do it.

I'm gambling on a solid game by rondo, and a stellar one by Perk. That's what I'm predicting.

I'll be around in the game thread, as usual. Drucci, how 'bout you?

My evening is busy but by the time of 2 am I should be free... and here, cheering for Boston. Weekend games are "can't miss games" for me. :)

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 01:07:47 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i thought tony settled that matter

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 01:15:43 PM »

Kiorrik

My evening is busy but by the time of 2 am I should be free... and here, cheering for Boston. Weekend games are "can't miss games" for me. :)

Great! :]

Btw, I'm in the mood for a Bulls beatdown. Just watched my Michael Jordan dvd again. Oh man :')

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The Bulls have been in a rut lately.   Hopefully we can take advantage of that. 

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
TP FL.

looking forward to rose vs rondo, always fun.

also looking for the whole team to have a big game, Bulls have been struggling, we should get a  big lead and never look back

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 03:55:22 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I link the Bulls struggles directly to not have a Ben Gordon to go to when they need a basket.  I think they underestimated the effect this would have.