Author Topic: What do you do for a living? (Reloaded)  (Read 275299 times)

Re: What do you do for a living? (Reloaded)
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2009, 12:00:52 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

The smartest man is the one that realizes he's stupid.

You know...that depends on your definition of intelligence though.
I'm not stupid, but I'll admit I'm a bit naive, and above all stubborn.
Does that count?
Sorry I forgot how young you were.

Just paraphrasing a very famous quote by Greek philosopher Socrates:

“I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.”
I'm familiar with the quote, it just didn't hit me at the time.
My apologies.

Haha well then you are one smart kid. I'm 26, I've taken college classes that focused specifically on Socrates, and I've read that quote and I would never...EVER..have made that connection.

But you know what they say...you're only as young as your Socrates.

Nobody says that IP.

They might. They might......now

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2009, 12:05:44 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Dude that does everything.

and proud boxer owner

I thought he was leaving something out.

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm a Deputy Attorney General (i.e., state attorney) for the State of New Jersey.  Next spring, I'll be moving to Maine and opening my own practice.

Coming to the Portland area, Roy? Have some lawyer friends in town ... don't know if you've looked at places to live, but Gorham is a great town ... once you get past the taxes. ;) (There are actually worse towns tax-wise ... Cape Elizabeth, Falmouth ... but they're both oceanfront towns, Gorham is slightly inland ... about 30 minutes to the ocean, 20 mins to Sebago Lake, 12 minutes to Maine Mall, great schools, etc.)

I'm looking at Bangor, just because the legal market is a little less saturated up there.  I love southern Maine, though; I went to high school in Kennebunk, and worked as an attorney for awhile in Saco.  The farthest north I've lived is Waterville, so Bangor will be a completely new experience.

And yes, folks, I will give any new client a Celticsblog discount. ;)

Wow ... I never knew you were from this area! I actually lived briefly on Brown Street in Kennebunk, and also lived in Waterville, (I had a music store about a block from Al Corey's and a rock band there when I was very young and foolish ... our manager at the time was a local attorney who took a liking to our "sound" ... but that was lifetimes ago. You're right about the market being saturated in Greater Portland, but it's tough to beat city-wise ... most of the best things of the big city, but small enough to feel homey and a quick ride to fresh air and spaces. (Our version of Camden is a bit nicer than New Jersey's, also ;)). Bangor's a great town, too, and Pat's Pizza in Old Town is truly amazing, (just ask Lonely Toaster), I'm sure you'll love it. I personally just can't be that far away from the ocean ... just something deep in the soul that hooked me as a kid ... I turned down some good colleges because they were "inland" ... I know, a bit extreme, but the sea is almost as much a part of me and my family as music is. Anyway ... if I can be of any assistance with your relocation, please let me know ... it will be a boost to this great state of ours to have you back among it's citizenry. We should consider having a CelticsBlog get-together once a year (or so) of all the Mainiacs who are members ... there seems to be quite a few. 
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2009, 12:09:51 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
Recently retired U.S. Navy (20 yrs, 13 days). Currently full-time student at ECPI in the Computer Sciences (Database Programming) degree program.

I had not realized how much my oldest son has grown until recently, lol..it is nice to be on dry land!

Thank you for your service!
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2009, 12:11:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

and proud boxer owner

My company is what I do....keeping company with boxers, the greatest breed of dog there is, is what I am, not what I do. :D

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2009, 12:14:18 AM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I am an operations manager at a large air traffic control center.  I'm in my 33rd year in the ATC business.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2009, 12:15:36 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games

and proud boxer owner

My company is what I do....keeping company with boxers, the greatest breed of dog there is, is what I am, not what I do. :D

yeah, its funny how much the images we have associated with our users effect our thinking.  I mean, Nick, you will always be associated with Boxers for me here.  I think Boxers, I think Nick.  

« Reply #67 on: December 09, 2009, 12:20:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

and proud boxer owner

yeah, its funny how much the images we have associated with our users effect our thinking.  I mean, Nick, you will always be associated with Boxers for me here.  I think Boxers, I think Nick.  
Funny you mention that Prof because I'm in the process of adopting another boxer and the avatar will probably have to change to include a picture with both of them.

I might someday, when I get out of Everett, start a kennel for rescuing boxers. So I guess that might actually be what I do sometime in the future. Definitely, when I retire I'll be doing it, but I hope to before that.

« Reply #68 on: December 09, 2009, 12:39:25 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I am a mechanical engineer by day and a waiter by night (Sallie Mae wantes her money back!). I work for Hasbro (the toy company) and I love every minute of it.

Any other engineers on the blog?

By the way...wow. Lawyers, teachers, musicians, military men/women...we really are a diverse group with one common interest...GREEN!

« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2009, 12:44:38 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games

and proud boxer owner

Funny you mention that Prof because I'm in the process of adopting another boxer and the avatar will probably have to change to include a picture with both of them.

I might someday, when I get out of Everett, start a kennel for rescuing boxers. So I guess that might actually be what I do sometime in the future. Definitely, when I retire I'll be doing it, but I hope to before that.

That's a really cool goal.  I'm also an obsessed dog lover btw (and animals in general.)  I have a mutt we adopted from an agency in Tennessee.  We really lucked out, amazing temperment, independent but really affectionate and adaptable, very trainable, very very fast, and insane about tennis balls.  He's about 65 pounds, just a tad too big to be a lap dog, but small enough where he is not intimidating at all.  His name is Oliver.

As a puppy:

Full grown (and as I said, spends a good 75% of his day with a tennis ball in his mouth):

« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2009, 12:57:27 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I'm a student - a junior at UMass Amherst.  My major is Economics.

« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2009, 01:06:26 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
First and foremost, I am a musician/songwriter ... my main instrument is guitar, but I also play keys, bass, drums, and sax. I haven't played in a band for a long time, (but have kept writing and subbing here-and-there), but I'm at a point in my life where I'm starting to play out again, and I love it!

I'm also a semi-retired otolaryngological (E,N&T) surgeon, ("Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"), but I honestly am not happy in medicine ... the only fulfillment I've ever received from it was in situations outside of the hospital setting, and I'll leave it at that.

Business-wise I am a gemologist and for the last couple of years have been building an internet business selling diamonds and gemstones online, and primarily overseas. This is the focus of my income-producing energies as I wanted something I could run from a laptop, that would allow me to travel, concentrate on music again, and start a new family, as I am recently engaged.

(I wanted to share her pic here, but she asked me to remove it - she is filipina and very shy about such things ... my bad, I'm learning ;)).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 01:18:53 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2009, 01:33:26 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Mind Games
I currently have three different jobs.

1.  My primary job is as a filmmaker.  I'm currently contracted on with a company on a documentary, called 'A Life Worth Living,' that won ITVS grant funding and will be aired on PBS/WGBH after September 2010.  The documentary follows the disability rights movement as it develops post world war II right up until the late 1990's.  It's been a staggeringly rewarding and humbling experience and allowed me to meet and interview some of the most incredible people I've ever met in my life.  If you want to know more about it you can check out the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWFm_DV_DY

2.  My second job is as an RA (resident advisor) living and working at an International school of 450 students located in Boston.  I regularly spend Friday nights dealing with disasters and emergencies of students getting alcohol poisoning, breaking up parties, students being locked out, being woken up by security to deal with some new form of madness, fire alarms where I have to key into every room on my floor and ensure students are out before I get to leave the building, etc.  I also have to work at the reception desk for about 70 hours per month, welcome and check in new students, arrange their checkouts when they leave, and help them with whatever problems they may have.  It's a really crazy job, I've seen and dealt with some situations that are too messed up to describe hear, but also met some of the most incredible and influential people of my life.  I have friends all over the world and am exposed constantly to new students from all kinds of backgrounds and cultures.  I also don't have to pay rent or utilities, get a room to myself with a my own bathroom, and three free (albeit very bad) meals a day.  I'm paid about $180 a month for all that crisis management.  I was also allowed to transfer for the summer to our Barcelona school location (although it was a disastrous experience.)  Working here for the last three years has created a set of memories and friendships that I will cherish and remember always.  (Plus I'm a travel junky, and spend all the money I work for and save on traveling, lived in Italy for two years, and speak three languages very well, so the international scene really works for me.)

3.  The last job I have, although its on pause for the moment, is that I own/run/share a film company with my brother (better known as Reggies Ghost around here) called Realeyez Independent Cinema.  We're both involved in separate projects at the moment unfortunately.  I'm obviously biased, but my brother is one of the most talented cinematographers/editors I've ever seen.  Lets put it this way, he sucks at making signatures compared to his abilities when it comes to film.  (I told you I was biased)  He is entirely responsible for the trailer you saw above.

It's a really fun line of work and we're still in the process of getting our company (which is only about five years old) off the ground.  It's a hard industry to break into, but we did win a film competition for IFC last year and they gave us the chance to make a five episode webseries for them.  It was really fun (even though it was under budgeted) if you want to check it out, the episodes are only five minutes long each:
http://www.ifc.com/cuttingties/
Anyway, our film company has a focus on social justice, and we don't shy away from anything.  We've worked on and aspire to do it all - narratives (both short and full length feature,) documentaries, music videos, animated films, etc. All with a focus on advancing the voices often times not represented by mainstream media.  I've lived a life of modest yet good fortune, growing up in the U.S. a white male in a middle class family (which I see as lucky,) and I hope that I can use whatever manner of success I can find in film to help give back to those who may have not been given the advantages I have been afforded in life.  You can check out our film stuff here:
www.reindependent.com
Included in this are the Celtics movie-mixes we made a few years back (and never finished the series) when the team was nearing the completion of one of its worst records ever and hoping to nab the number one pick to get Oden or Durant.  If you're celtics junky their worth checking out:
www.greentownsfinest.com

That's it.

« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2009, 01:49:51 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I currently have three different jobs.

1.  My primary job is as a filmmaker.  I'm currently contracted on with a company on a documentary, called 'A Life Worth Living,' that won ITVS grant funding and will be aired on PBS/WGBH after September 2010.  The documentary follows the disability rights movement as it develops post world war II right up until the late 1990's.  It's been a staggeringly rewarding and humbling experience and allowed me to meet and interview some of the most incredible people I've ever met in my life.  If you want to know more about it you can check out the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOWFm_DV_DY

2.  My second job is as an RA (resident advisor) living and working at an International school of 450 students located in Boston.  I regularly spend Friday nights dealing with disasters and emergencies of students getting alcohol poisoning, breaking up parties, students being locked out, being woken up by security to deal with some new form of madness, fire alarms where I have to key into every room on my floor and ensure students are out before I get to leave the building, etc.  I also have to work at the reception desk for about 70 hours per month, welcome and check in new students, arrange their checkouts when they leave, and help them with whatever problems they may have.  It's a really crazy job, I've seen and dealt with some situations that are too messed up to describe hear, but also met some of the most incredible and influential people of my life.  I have friends all over the world and am exposed constantly to new students from all kinds of backgrounds and cultures.  I also don't have to pay rent or utilities, get a room to myself with a my own bathroom, and three free (albeit very bad) meals a day.  I'm paid about $180 a month for all that crisis management.  I was also allowed to transfer for the summer to our Barcelona school location (although it was a disastrous experience.)  Working here for the last three years has created a set of memories and friendships that I will cherish and remember always.  (Plus I'm a travel junky, and spend all the money I work for and save on traveling, lived in Italy for two years, and speak three languages very well, so the international scene really works for me.)

3.  The last job I have, although its on pause for the moment, is that I own/run/share a film company with my brother (better known as Reggies Ghost around here) called Realeyez Independent Cinema.  We're both involved in separate projects at the moment unfortunately.  I'm obviously biased, but my brother is one of the most talented cinematographers/editors I've ever seen.  Lets put it this way, he sucks at making signatures compared to his abilities when it comes to film.  (I told you I was biased)  He is entirely responsible for the trailer you saw above.

It's a really fun line of work and we're still in the process of getting our company (which is only about five years old) off the ground.  It's a hard industry to break into, but we did win a film competition for IFC last year and they gave us the chance to make a five episode webseries for them.  It was really fun (even though it was under budgeted) if you want to check it out, the episodes are only five minutes long each:
http://www.ifc.com/cuttingties/
Anyway, our film company has a focus on social justice, and we don't shy away from anything.  We've worked on and aspire to do it all - narratives (both short and full length feature,) documentaries, music videos, animated films, etc. All with a focus on advancing the voices often times not represented by mainstream media.  I've lived a life of modest yet good fortune, growing up in the U.S. a white male in a middle class family (which I see as lucky,) and I hope that I can use whatever manner of success I can find in film to help give back to those who may have not been given the advantages I have been afforded in life.  You can check out our film stuff here:
www.reindependent.com
Included in this are the Celtics movie-mixes we made a few years back (and never finished the series) when the team was nearing the completion of one of its worst records ever and hoping to nab the number one pick to get Oden or Durant.  If you're celtics junky their worth checking out:
www.greentownsfinest.com

That's it.

Very cool, PC ... you and your Bro are very talented, but more importantly, you seem to love what you do ... there are very few blessings in life as great as finding a career that you truly love! So many - most, actually - end up working in careers that don't bring them happiness and fulfillment, so you are truly lucky in that respect. All the best to you and your Brother for continued success and happiness! (TP)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2009, 02:49:37 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
Accounting major in a college up in New England.