Author Topic: Oden Hurt Again  (Read 10996 times)

Re: Oden Hurt Again
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 08:12:44 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Therealirony is that the most effective player in that draft class many turn out to be Jeff Green, who the Celtics could have drafted at #5.

Bad luck for Oden and the Blazers.

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I don't know how the Blazers fans feel about Oden at this point, but can you imagine how the Celtics faithful would be reacting at to him at this point?

It would be ugly.  Not a great history towards being sympathetic towards injury prone players here.
Yup

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 08:55:26 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Therealirony is that the most effective player in that draft class many turn out to be Jeff Green, who the Celtics could have drafted at #5.

You are kidding, right Brick? Most effective? Green hasn't been bad, but considering there's Durant, Horford, Noah, Hawes, Stuckey, Brooks, BBD, Landry, Gasol, and Sessions from that draft as well, I'd be hesitant to chime in Green as the most effective.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2009, 08:59:07 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I think many of us will have a quiet appreciation and affection for both Oden and Durant, as they represent the fortunes that never were for us.  We can always watch them and imagine what would have been in another dimension.  In that way its sad to see a guy we all root for in some way go down with an injury like this again.

I want them both to succeed.  Just not against the Celtics.

Can you imagine if we'd gotten the #1 pick, traded Pierce, and then Big Al and Oden had their same injury issues?  There would be a lot of depressed and/or angry Celtics fans these days.

Weren't the reports that Danny wanted the #2 pick because he wanted Durant? He knew whomever was going to get the first pick would take Oden, and therefore remove any second guessing for the second pick.

Of course, then we would have traded Paul. But our front line would have been Perk, Al, Durant, with Rondo running the point. We just would have needed a two, which is the easiest position to fill.

Would have been a pretty good team.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
This may just be me but I have to suspect there are reasons for him being hurt all the time. I just think either he suffers from gigantism or there's too much HGH type stuff in his body and his fairly young body can't handle it.

This is just me, but there are a few bodies in the NBA that just look wrong and Oden is probably the biggest. Next might be Bron, and honestly there are just a lot of other players I see that just look off somehow. Even the Celts. Look at Perk and Rondo and to maybe a lesser degree Sheed and Pierce.  

Maybe I'm confusing ugly with medical awkwardness or something, but when I look at Oden in particular I just see a really messed up body that for whatever reason didn't age or grow right.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2009, 09:07:10 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think many of us will have a quiet appreciation and affection for both Oden and Durant, as they represent the fortunes that never were for us.  We can always watch them and imagine what would have been in another dimension.  In that way its sad to see a guy we all root for in some way go down with an injury like this again.

Can you imagine if we'd gotten the #1 pick, traded Pierce, and then Big Al and Oden had their same injury issues?  There would be a lot of depressed and/or angry Celtics fans these days.

Weren't the reports that Danny wanted the #2 pick because he wanted Durant? He knew whomever was going to get the first pick would take Oden, and therefore remove any second guessing for the second pick.

Of course, then we would have traded Paul. But our front line would have been Perk, Al, Durant, with Rondo running the point. We just would have needed a two, which is the easiest position to fill.

I hear this "Danny wanted Durant" stuff a lot, and honestly, I don't think there's ever been a firsthand source that ever said it.  Maybe Bill Simmons used one of his imaginary "sources", but really, I think it's just speculation.  Yes, Danny liked Durant, but he liked Oden, too (just like every other GM in the league).  I'm fairly positive that Danny would have taken Oden, simply because he was seen as the more dominating player at the NBA level.

Here's the closest thing I can find to a direct quote:

But what would have happened had the Celtics won the lottery last year? It's a moot point, sure, the Celtics having gotten as little out of the lottery as was allowed by law. It's still fun to contemplate. Would the Celtics be the ones waiting on Greg Oden?

"We would definitely have gone in one direction or another," Ainge says, meaning that he might either have taken Oden or traded the pick. "I'm not saying we wouldn't have done something if we had a better pick in the lottery. But we did feel that the fifth pick wasn't going to help us much."

According to Bob Ryan, Danny would have either taken Oden or made a trade.  We have no idea if the trade Danny was contemplating would have been down to the #2 slot, but certainly, there was interest in Oden.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:16:23 AM by Roy Hobbs »

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I hear this "Danny wanted Durant" stuff a lot, and honestly, I don't think there's ever been a firsthand source that ever said it.  Maybe Bill Simmons used one of his imaginary "sources", but really, I think it's just speculation.  Yes, Danny liked Durant, but he liked Oden, too (just like every other GM in the league).  I'm fairly positive that Danny would have taken Oden, simply because he was seen as the more dominating player at the NBA level.

Here's the closest thing I can find to a direct quote:

But what would have happened had the Celtics won the lottery last year? It's a moot point, sure, the Celtics having gotten as little out of the lottery as was allowed by law. It's still fun to contemplate. Would the Celtics be the ones waiting on Greg Oden?

"We would definitely have gone in one direction or another," Ainge says, meaning that he might either have taken Oden or traded the pick. "I'm not saying we wouldn't have done something if we had a better pick in the lottery. But we did feel that the fifth pick wasn't going to help us much."

According to Bob Ryan, Danny would have either taken Oden or made a trade.  We have no idea if the trade Danny was contemplating would have been down to the #2 slot, but certainly, there was interest in Oden.

I remember hearing that Ainge wanted Durant but it was probably something Doc said and not Danny. And didn't espn do a "Oden or Durant" poll of GMs and Ainge be the only non-Oden vote?

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2009, 09:43:34 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Scals + TA + Giddens = Oden.  Now's the time to hit 'em with a lowball trade offer.

;)
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2009, 09:44:34 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Oh man that stinks!  Too bad for Oden.  Too bad for Portland.

Also, too bad for the little kids in the video above who's father tells them to "shut up" (with many an added expletive) numerous times.  He seems to be providing a fantastic example for his young children.

agreed, people like that should not be allowed to procreate...maybe someone can trace the video back and get dss after him...

I was thinking the exact same thing (TP) ... really sad that this guy talks to his wife and children that way ... and we wonder why there's so much crime in this country? Character, decency and the "family" is being destroyed ... This guy's worried more about Greg Oden's injury and his stupid video than he is about the way he treats his family ... sad. This video should be edited.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:00:35 AM by cdif911 »
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
And didn't espn do a "Oden or Durant" poll of GMs and Ainge be the only non-Oden vote?

I've never heard this, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I'd be a little surprised if Danny was willing to attach his name to that, though.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2009, 09:57:09 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Wow.  I feel so bad for Oden.  He was just starting to live up to his potential and just came off a 20 rebound game. :(

Here's hoping he can get back... and stop with all the injuries!
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Well, this is better than screwed up ligaments, am I right?

He attained a level of play this year that will help his confidence in the future, and this injury was somewhat freakish, not a case of his body simply disintigrating under pressure, although I guess his patella did disintigrate a bit...

Anyway, he's still VERY young (and probably very depressed at the moment),  but......KEEP YOUR HEAD UP Greg!!  2009 is the year you showed people you belong in the NBA!!

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 10:37:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Jeff Green isn't as effective as Durant even though. He was clearly overmatched against the C's and is often over matched at the PF slot.

« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2009, 10:41:59 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This may just be me but I have to suspect there are reasons for him being hurt all the time. I just think either he suffers from gigantism or there's too much HGH type stuff in his body and his fairly young body can't handle it.

This is just me, but there are a few bodies in the NBA that just look wrong and Oden is probably the biggest. Next might be Bron, and honestly there are just a lot of other players I see that just look off somehow. Even the Celts. Look at Perk and Rondo and to maybe a lesser degree Sheed and Pierce.  

Maybe I'm confusing ugly with medical awkwardness or something, but when I look at Oden in particular I just see a really messed up body that for whatever reason didn't age or grow right.
Any time you're dealing with a 7 foot tall man you're obviously on the extreme end of the growth curb. Sadly this a ton of them have constant health issues from it.

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2009, 10:59:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
And didn't espn do a "Oden or Durant" poll of GMs and Ainge be the only non-Oden vote?

I've never heard this, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  I'd be a little surprised if Danny was willing to attach his name to that, though.
I have some vague remembrance of that too ... of Ainge being the only non-Oden vote ... I think it was amongst lottery pick GMs? or top 5 pick GMs?