Author Topic: Oden Hurt Again  (Read 10986 times)

Re: Oden Hurt Again
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think many of us will have a quiet appreciation and affection for both Oden and Durant, as they represent the fortunes that never were for us.  We can always watch them and imagine what would have been in another dimension.  In that way its sad to see a guy we all root for in some way go down with an injury like this again.

I want them both to succeed.  Just not against the Celtics.

Can you imagine if we'd gotten the #1 pick, traded Pierce, and then Big Al and Oden had their same injury issues?  There would be a lot of depressed and/or angry Celtics fans these days.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 12:59:36 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Man oh man.  Just goes to show you...a big part of how great some of these players become is just luck and fate.  Apparently greatness is just not in the cards for Oden...at least not for a while.  Very, very disheartening for Blazers fans.  I guess that pretty much removes them from the discussion of being a contender this year.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 01:07:29 AM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
I also feel bad for Oden, BUT... on the bright side, Danny Ainge looks like a GENIUS!!!

Had we gotten the 1st pick that year, I wanted us to take Durant. Oden always looked fragile to me.

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 01:10:27 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Man, imagine how good the Blazers would be with Durant.  That must drive Blazers fans absolutely crazy.

That's why I kind of hope our franchise never has to use top lottery picks...there's too much chance for heartbreak or crushing disappointment.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 01:10:59 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Such a shame. I've been impressed by his play lately.  I hope he has a safe recovery and can come back strong. Snow gave a good example of how Big Z managed to bounce back from the early injuries in his career so I'm hoping that'll be the case for Oden. He's still young. Poor thing. Sad for him and for the Blazers but at least they do have a competent back up in Pryzbilla.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 01:12:42 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Such a shame. I've been impressed by his play lately.  I hope he has a safe recovery and can come back strong. Snow gave a good example of how Big Z managed to bounce back from the early injuries in his career so I'm hoping that'll be the case for Oden. He's still young. Poor thing. Sad for him and for the Blazers but at least they do have a competent back up in Pryzbilla.

Big Z came back from injuries but he has a fairly low impact style of play - slow, not a physical finisher etc.

Oden's game is predicated in large part of being a physical specimen.  I wonder if he'll be able to still play that way after coming back from his second major knee injury in the last three years.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 01:14:51 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Oh man that stinks!  Too bad for Oden.  Too bad for Portland.

Also, too bad for the little kids in the video above who's father tells them to "shut up" (with many an added expletive) numerous times.  He seems to be providing a fantastic example for his young children.

I was thinking the exact same thing (TP) ... really sad that this guy talks to his wife and children that way ... and we wonder why there's so much crime in this country? Character, decency and the "family" is being destroyed ... This guy's worried more about Greg Oden's injury and his stupid video than he is about the way he treats his family ... sad. This video should be edited.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 01:35:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
wow.  too bad.  I feel bad for Oden.  He was really coming along.  If only he could get his fouls under control he'd be a real beast.  I doubt he'll ever reach his potential now.  Shame.

I'd feel bad for Blazer fans, but last year their fanbase really annoyed the crap out of me.   It's one of the only fanbases to ever turn me off from rooting for a team that I wanted to root for.  So I can't say I'm too sorry for them.  At least they still have Blakey. 

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 01:51:20 AM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
Oden's game is predicated in large part of being a physical specimen.  I wonder if he'll be able to still play that way after coming back from his second major knee injury in the last three years.

He was already kind of slow as it is. Unfortunately, I think it's a wrap for him. I dont think he'll ever be as good as Tyson Chandler..lol.

But it makes me all the more happy that we already have a SOLID starting CENTER on this team.

P.S. I was thinking of making a sig with that Perk quote. TP for beating me to it. lol

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 02:36:14 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

Big Z came back from injuries but he has a fairly low impact style of play - slow, not a physical finisher etc.

Yeah, at least this isn't a ligament injury.  I'm not a doctor, but I don't imagine that a fractured patella is anywhere near as serious as a torn ACL or anything like that.  Hopefully he can come back 100% next year... and stay on the court.

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 04:15:36 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
The Blazers Should go after Marcin Gortat. He wants to be a starter and the blazers have some  young pieces that Orlando might be interested in .

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 05:22:25 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
The Blazers Should go after Marcin Gortat. He wants to be a starter and the blazers have some  young pieces that Orlando might be interested in .

Yeah, either them or the Rockets would make sense for Marcin. 

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 05:31:14 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I think many of us will have a quiet appreciation and affection for both Oden and Durant, as they represent the fortunes that never were for us.  We can always watch them and imagine what would have been in another dimension.  In that way its sad to see a guy we all root for in some way go down with an injury like this again.

I want them both to succeed.  Just not against the Celtics.

Can you imagine if we'd gotten the #1 pick, traded Pierce, and then Big Al and Oden had their same injury issues?  There would be a lot of depressed and/or angry Celtics fans these days.

especially if say we had traded Pierce to Minnesota and he went on to win a title with KG with the t'wolves instead of KG coming here.  I'd have been heartbroken.

......also, yes the only thing more depressing in that video than seeing Oden go down is hearing that guy talk to his kids so horribly. Not that it makes it difference but it's even worse that you can tell the kids are only like 2-4 years old and hes telling them to shut the *ahem* up. 
Greg

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 07:34:34 AM »

Offline cavman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Sometimes when things don't "go your way" it works out better.

I'm sad for Greg.  And the Blazers- he is supposed to be their centerpiece but ended up like Bill Walton, except he didn't win them a title first.

But I'm glad we have KG and Ray instead of Greg (and Durant, though he's fun to watch).  I fear we'd still be mired in mediocrity, or worse.

Maybe Greg will be able to stay healthy after this.
"The most important thing is the ability to communicate.  It's not how much you know.  It's how you communicate what you know."  Red

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 07:53:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Well, on the positive side this is going to give the world a lot more time to notice just how good a player Joel Przybilla is, the starting center of the Washington Boxers ;D