Author Topic: Wife's Christmas Party or C's Game?  (Read 22867 times)

Wife's Christmas Party or C's Game?
« on: December 01, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I thought this was a no brainer, but my family is giving me so much heat for not going to the wife's Christmas party.  It is on the same night as the only C's game in OKC (where I live).  Am I out of line for refusing to budge?

Re: Wife's Christmas Party or C's Game?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Have you already bought tickets to the game?

What does your wife do and how many office parties/work events does she bring you to each year?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 11:53:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
You need to open negotiations

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
Yes, I have tickets.  She is an optometrist.  She works for an opthamologist.  2 other optometrists work there along with 10 or so employees.  I have been to a lake trip, a halloween party, and a pool party so far this year.  This is her first year to work at the place.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
How long have you been married?  How often does she attend events with your co-workers?  When was the party scheduled?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:59:17 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
be there for your wife.  you dont want her to be embarresed when her coworkers ask where you are and she has to explain that you chose a basketball game over her

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think it all depends on how far in advance you knew about the party, did you ever say you'd attend, and how big of a social event is this.

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
She did offer to take me to see them play the Mavs, but the seats would probably be pretty lame.  I have a friend who works for the Thunder that will probably be able to get me upgraded to the first few rows.

This is our first year of marriage. 

I have had the C's game on the calendar since the schedules came out.  She told me about the holiday party last week or the week before.

I rarely go to my company parties.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
She did offer to take me to see them play the Mavs, but the seats would probably be pretty lame.  I have a friend who works for the Thunder that will probably be able to get me upgraded to the first few rows.

This is our first year of marriage. 

I have had the C's game on the calendar since the schedules came out.  She told me about the holiday party last week or the week before.

I rarely go to my company parties.
You go to the game then!

Then again I'm not married and I'm currently a bit terrified that my GF dropped a hint about getting engaged!  ;)

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:09:26 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
I never said that I would attend the xmas party.  I did say that I would come as soon as the game was over though.

It is their office's largest get together.  They are going downtown to take a boat ride on the canal, then going to dinner, and then going to an upscale bowling alley.  In my estimation I will be missing out on the boat ride and dinner, but would be able to show up for some of the bowling portion.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 12:14:56 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I never said that I would attend the xmas party.  I did say that I would come as soon as the game was over though.

It is their office's largest get together.  They are going downtown to take a boat ride on the canal, then going to dinner, and then going to an upscale bowling alley.  In my estimation I will be missing out on the boat ride and dinner, but would be able to show up for some of the bowling portion.

OK, I have no real advice here, because I think it all depends on how understanding your wife is in general.  But this just cracked me up.  Do they have like a dress code at the bowling alley?  I am picturing a bunch of guys in tux's and women in ball gowns (and high heals), sipping champagne as they are bowling.  And it honestly made my day.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 12:21:28 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
If you knew about the game first, go to the game.  If you have time to make it to any part of the party and still make the game, you can do that.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4595
Is there any chance you are considered a "trophy" husband?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:34:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Been married 23 years, just last week. So my advice is this:

This is her first Christmas party at this job, you've only been married a year and this is this year's biggest get together for her job? If that's the case you HAVE to bite the bullet, sell the tickets or give them away and attend with the wife with a smile on your face the entire time.

It would look bad for the wife to have her new husband ditching the office Christmas party to attend a basketball game. Real bad. And, she won't live it down at the office.

Long happy marriages are all about love, sacrifice and compromise. In this case, sorry guy, but her good standing at work and upkeeping of a good working atmosphere appearance that she is in a good and happy marriage with a wonderful guy willing to give up basketball tickets to see his favorite team to go to a work party with her is more important than your seeing this game.

What I would do is tell her you'll attend but she'll have to make it up to you by going on a weekend trip to either Memphis, New Orleans, Dallas, Indianapolis or Chicago and go watch the Celtics with you there while making it into a romantic weekend vacation.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 12:36:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Morally, logically, and everything else, you should be able to go to the game.

However, in reality, if you pick the Celtics over her (and that's exactly how she will see it), it's going to cause major issues.  I think the best strategy at this point is to give up the Celts game, but negotiate the best deal for yourself.  A Mavs game is just the beginning.

What I want to know is why in the heck are they having a Christmas party on December 4?  Isn't that a little early?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions