Author Topic: Mike Brown does Big Z wrong  (Read 20430 times)

Re: Mike Brown does Big Z wrong
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 07:26:37 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Wow that is a classless move.  I've never been a fan of Mike Brown.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 07:55:19 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
I boo Mike Brown right in his face. You suck, Mike! I'd never wanna be like you.

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
As incredible as this story seems I find it very strange that Mike Brown would do this intentionally out of malice towards Ilgauskas.

There's got to be another side to this. Mike Brown just doesn't come across to me as being that malicious. This is just me.

To be completely honest, I really don't see ANY coach active in the NBA as being this malicious.

In the (Very) unfortunate event that Mike Brown forgot or wasn't aware of Big Z's acomplishment, then shame on Mike.

And Lebron James' comments on this....well for one who has had an entire franchise bend over backwards for him, for him to not even commit to CLE is not loyal, IMO. What he is saying about this incident sounds right to our ears, but he doesn't strike me as sincere.

As bad as things were for Michael Jordan starting out in his NBA career, he Never held the city of Chicago hostage.

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 09:05:53 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Mike Brown quotes from ESPN insider:

"He was on the minutes sheet to play his normal 20 to 25 minutes," Brown told The News-Herald. "They went small, and the team that was out there played well. I stuck with it. ... It wasn't planned. It just happened. There was nothing for me to say. It was based on matchups and the course of the game. You can call it a mistake or a coach's decision."

Brown said he's handled his players well since he's been with the Cavs.

"I've done a decent job of treating guys right," he said. "Maybe in a lot of guys' minds, I didn't this time. I don't know. That's part of being a head coach."

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 09:14:59 AM »

Kiorrik

Oh, dear.

What a knucklehead.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 09:15:36 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

"He was on the minutes sheet to play his normal 20 to 25 minutes," Brown told The News-Herald. "They went small, and the team that was out there played well. I stuck with it. ... It wasn't planned. It just happened. There was nothing for me to say. It was based on matchups and the course of the game. You can call it a mistake or a coach's decision."

"I've done a decent job of treating guys right," he said. "Maybe in a lot of guys' minds, I didn't this time. I don't know. That's part of being a head coach."
So he expects us to believe that Shaq got 25 mins, JJ Hickson got 14, Varejao got 32, Darnell Jackson got 2, Z gets a DNP in a 111-95 win because the other team played small and the unit they had was doing well, and he just didn't realize the situation?

Thanks for insulting our intelligence Mike.  Good one.

So if you're Z I'm not sure what you do. There's not much reason to ever go above and beyond for the guy anymore

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So he expects us to believe that Shaq got 25 mins, JJ Hickson got 14, Varejao got 32, Darnell Jackson got 2, Z gets a DNP in a 111-95 win because the other team played small and the unit they had was doing well, and he just didn't realize the situation?

Thanks for insulting our intelligence Mike.  Good one.

So if you're Z I'm not sure what you do. There's not much reason to ever go above and beyond for the guy anymore
TP for writing the sentence "Thanks for insulting our intelligence Mike". Saved me the time.

I know I wrote it again so he eja didn't really save me the time but I wrote it again because I thought it bared repeating.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »

Kiorrik

TP for writing the sentence "Thanks for insulting our intelligence Mike". Saved me the time.

I know I wrote it again so he eja didn't really save me the time but I wrote it again because I thought it bared repeating.
And then you wrote a lot about why you wrote it and in fact, Nick has cost you a lot of time by now.

And effort.

*clicks TP button*

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 09:55:36 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Wow that's no class.  The thing I really don't like about all this is that now I agree with LeBron:

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, LeBron told reporters today after practice that he and Ilgauskas were both very upset that Z never got into Saturday's game.

"I stand behind Z and whatever Z feels at this point in time, I definitely -- if I was in control of it -- would have put him in, probably would have started him. You could have easily started him and subbed him right out and had the standing ovation from the fans with a timeout. If you didn't want to play him, there were a lot of ways for that accomplishment to be accomplished.

"It's a sensitive subject. I'm not one to raise havoc or raise fire into the locker room or our team. But, for me, I speak the truth. I stand behind Z and I feel like Z not playing wasn't the right thing. As a friend of his, I was very upset, and I know he was also."

Wow. I skipped that part of the article. Lebron is quickly becoming an insufferable blowhard. In this short quote  supposedly about Big Z there have to be at least 10 "I's" and a couple of "me's" with pompous phrases such as "accomplishment to be accomplished" "I speak the truth" and "I'm not one to raise havoc" thrown in.

If he felt it was so important, he could have planned something to publicly acknowledge Big Z before the game
or even a brief mention during a timeout. Although in his defense he never could have seen that DNP coming.

Hee I know how it hurts to agree with Lebron. Here's a TP to ease your pain  ;D 
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 10:00:53 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Between the coaching and the GM in Cleveland:

NBA is the most luck based pro-sport in the US.  You want to be good, you need to be lucky in the draft lotto in the right year.

Take Lebron of the Cavs and replace him with a regular super star, you have a 500 team.

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 10:03:34 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

I withdraw the clueless option and I'm now convinced Brown has it in for Big Z. This "explanation" is ridiculous. They won by almost 20 points.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 10:08:07 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Honestly, I think Brown's explanation makes sense from a coaching standpoint.  I did not see the game, but that rationale absolutely makes sense from an X's and O's standpoint.

The problem is, he is dealing with a very talented team with a lot of egos, and some clear chemistry concerns.  If he wants to win a championship, he needs to learn to concentrate a little more on working with the personalities. 

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 10:15:13 AM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
Honestly, I think Brown's explanation makes sense from a coaching standpoint.  I did not see the game, but that rationale absolutely makes sense from an X's and O's standpoint.

The problem is, he is dealing with a very talented team with a lot of egos, and some clear chemistry concerns.  If he wants to win a championship, he needs to learn to concentrate a little more on working with the personalities.

I wonder if any assistant coaches reminded him during the game of Ilgauskus' pending accomplishment. It's possible that in the heat in the moment something like this would escape his mind.

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 10:18:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I wonder if any assistant coaches reminded him during the game of Ilgauskus' pending accomplishment. It's possible that in the heat in the moment something like this would escape his mind.

If they didn't, they should be fired.

Ultimately though I don't think he forgot.  I think he just legitimately thought Z was not a good fit, given the way the game was going.

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Subbing Big Z in for those 2 minutes Darnell Jackson played couldn't possibly have effected the outcome of the game.  There's no excuse.  They won the game by 16 points.  At any point towards the end of the game he could've called a timeout to put Big Z in.  There's no way he was too "concentrated" on winning the game at the end to remember to put Big Z in.  The only explanation is that he's lazy or an idiot.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers