Author Topic: Mike Brown does Big Z wrong  (Read 20536 times)

Mike Brown does Big Z wrong
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:23:46 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
On Saturday, Cleveland center Zydrunas Ilgauskas was scheduled to set the record for most games played in Cavalier uniform. It's not the most glamorous record (Danny Ferry is tied with Z currently, after all), but it apparently meant a lot to Ilgauskas, one of the league's most well-regarded players. And it should have. Some 724 games in a Cavaliers jersey? Well worthy of celebration.

Ilgauskas brought his family and a group of friends to the game against the Mavericks, ready to mark his new achievement. Instead, Ilgauskas was shocked by what was his first "Did Not Play-Coach's Decision" in memory. Mike Brown started Shaquille O'Neal, and never subbed Ilgauskas into the game.
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/11/30/lebron-on-ilgauskas-benching-i-was-very-upset/

While I do feel for Big Z I can't helping finding the story a bit hilarious. How cruel or clueless must Mike Brown be to not make a priority to at the very least give Big Z a cameo? Being aware of little things like these is one of the things I like and appreciate about Doc.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Re: Mike Brown does Big Z wrong
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wow.  That's just clueless.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:34:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Regardless of the situation, why does a healthy Z get a DNP?
Yup

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:35:02 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
His initials are not LBJ... lol

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 10:39:17 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
This guy got Coach of the Year last season?  What a joke.  Mike Brown is a complete idiot.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 10:53:53 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
The funny thing is the Cavs play better with Z on the floor than they do with Shaq.

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 10:58:44 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I assume this has to be the first step of getting Z out of town (?). Has he been bad in the locker room or something? If this was just simply a DNP-CD, then Mike Brown is a complete jerk...

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This guy got Coach of the Year last season?  What a joke.  Mike Brown is a complete idiot.

The fact that he won that award still mindboggles me.

But I read the rest of the article, and it was LBJ who spoke up about the benching, and we all know who really runs things in Cleveland...
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Wow that's no class.  The thing I really don't like about all this is that now I agree with LeBron:

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, LeBron told reporters today after practice that he and Ilgauskas were both very upset that Z never got into Saturday's game.

"I stand behind Z and whatever Z feels at this point in time, I definitely -- if I was in control of it -- would have put him in, probably would have started him. You could have easily started him and subbed him right out and had the standing ovation from the fans with a timeout. If you didn't want to play him, there were a lot of ways for that accomplishment to be accomplished.

"It's a sensitive subject. I'm not one to raise havoc or raise fire into the locker room or our team. But, for me, I speak the truth. I stand behind Z and I feel like Z not playing wasn't the right thing. As a friend of his, I was very upset, and I know he was also."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:02:08 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Is Bill Simmons' suspension over yet?  Because you know he is frothing at the mouth to comment on this.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
What LeBron says after the fact is meaningless to me because I really don't think he cares less about whether Z got in the game or not. If he really cared he would have known about all this ahead of time and requested Z get time.

Of course, LeBron is the same guy who was 8 points behind Mo Williams the other night when Williams was having an unreal shooting night. So what happens during a semi close game with 6 minutes left Williams with 25 points and Lebron just 17? Williams gets taken out of the game never to return and Lebron goes on to take every single shot the rest of the night from that point on for the Cavs. He ended up with 25 points.

Circumstantial evidence of a conspiracy theory to make sure Lebron gets to get his and once again leads the team in scoring? Probably. But LeBron took like 10 or 11 straight shots for 6 straight minutes not one other shot by another player. Maybe this is common but given this guys love of himself, I would not doubt it and I refuse to believe he cares one iota about what happened to Z.

BTW Mike Brown is a loser and an idiot for not being aware of what was happening. That's just inexcusable.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 01:00:38 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
What LeBron says after the fact is meaningless to me because I really don't think he cares less about whether Z got in the game or not. If he really cared he would have known about all this ahead of time and requested Z get time.

Of course, LeBron is the same guy who was 8 points behind Mo Williams the other night when Williams was having an unreal shooting night. So what happens during a semi close game with 6 minutes left Williams with 25 points and Lebron just 17? Williams gets taken out of the game never to return and Lebron goes on to take every single shot the rest of the night from that point on for the Cavs. He ended up with 25 points.

Circumstantial evidence of a conspiracy theory to make sure Lebron gets to get his and once again leads the team in scoring? Probably. But LeBron took like 10 or 11 straight shots for 6 straight minutes not one other shot by another player. Maybe this is common but given this guys love of himself, I would not doubt it and I refuse to believe he cares one iota about what happened to Z.

BTW Mike Brown is a loser and an idiot for not being aware of what was happening. That's just inexcusable.

What has convinced you that LeBron is an utterly terrible person? Even if he loves himself that doesn't mean he can't show compassion or empathy for a friend without a self-serving ulterior motive.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 01:38:52 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
That is ridiculous that Mike Brown would do that, though. No matter how you look at it, he's an idiot. If he meant to do it, then he's an idiot AND a jerk. If he didn't mean to screw Z like that, then he's just a dumb for not playing Z, period. Zydrunas is better for the Cavs than Shaq at this point.

Mike Brown: serial retard.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 02:56:15 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
I just cannot understand this.
I would be kicking up the biggest stink...

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 05:45:42 AM »

Kiorrik

That is ridiculous that Mike Brown would do that, though. No matter how you look at it, he's an idiot. If he meant to do it, then he's an idiot AND a jerk. If he didn't mean to screw Z like that, then he's just a dumb for not playing Z, period. Zydrunas is better for the Cavs than Shaq at this point.

Mike Brown: serial retard.
I would not phrase it like this, but my sentiments are largely the same.

TP.