Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 273556 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #540 on: February 15, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Drinking Racer 5 now, it's just not the same after Union Jack.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #541 on: February 16, 2013, 08:59:56 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
The woman and I just split a bomber of Lagunitas Capuccino Stout. Nice and boozy.

Still, I think I might actually prefer MacTarnahan's Goose Bump Imperial Porter. Delivers the same punch, but more of the coffee tones.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #542 on: March 15, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Picked up the Sammy Spring sampler pack: Boston Lager, Irish Red, Maple Pecan Porter, Double Agent IPL, White Lantern (Belgian White), and Alpine Spring (unfiltered lager).

Was going to wait until I'd had them all twice, especially the Maple Pecan Porter: like Sammy's Chocolate Bock, it finishes sweet, a little too sweet. And not maple-y, just sugary. Felt I needed a second try before writing it off.

But I just had the IPL a second time, and it's fantastic. My new favorite Sammy of them all. Great citrus hop flavor up front, but a clean and mild finish. Terrific balance, eminently drinkable.

I like the Alpine Spring a lot too, also very drinkable. And the White Lantern is nice, a decent representation of the style, although I'll probably look elsewhere for a white.

But that IPL makes me wish I had another sixer of it right now. Fantastic.

« Reply #543 on: March 15, 2013, 09:41:12 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Weyerhausers Insanity.
It was too boozy for me. Good, for sure, but over the top IMHO.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #544 on: March 15, 2013, 10:44:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Picked up the Sammy Spring sampler pack: Boston Lager, Irish Red, Maple Pecan Porter, Double Agent IPL, White Lantern (Belgian White), and Alpine Spring (unfiltered lager).

Was going to wait until I'd had them all twice, especially the Maple Pecan Porter: like Sammy's Chocolate Bock, it finishes sweet, a little too sweet. And not maple-y, just sugary. Felt I needed a second try before writing it off.

But I just had the IPL a second time, and it's fantastic. My new favorite Sammy of them all. Great citrus hop flavor up front, but a clean and mild finish. Terrific balance, eminently drinkable.

I like the Alpine Spring a lot too, also very drinkable. And the White Lantern is nice, a decent representation of the style, although I'll probably look elsewhere for a white.

But that IPL makes me wish I had another sixer of it right now. Fantastic.

yeh, the IPL is the best of the bunch, but I have to say I think I'm just about done with Sam's. 

Loving the Magic Hat Spring mixer.  I talked about the Pistil a few posts back, and the Ticket to Rye is really excellent beer too.  Not sure how I feel about the Salt ale, and you get 3 #9's. I saw a six pack of the Pistils, but passed because they were just a few dollars less than the 12 pack mixer.
Yup

« Reply #545 on: April 10, 2013, 11:06:50 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
So a couple weekends ago I hit the bottle shop on the other side of town, where I used to live, and treated myself to about a dozen bombers. Been sampling these now and then, whenever I wanted to take a break from my own homebrew (lately, bitter and stout).

Aside from some nice closeout specials on some obscure/local winter brews, here are some findings:

Good: Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale. We've heard IP wax about their Union Jack (another purchase I'm looking forward to trying soon), and the Double Barrel also represents them well. Nothing spectacular, but a straight-ahead, solid pale ale.

Good: Magic Hat #9. I was hoping to find some Magic Hat, and while I was little disappointed to only find the #9, I enjoyed getting reacquainted with a dear, old friend. We have Pyramid Brewery out here (which is actually owned by Magic Hat), whose apricot ale is a nice facsimile, but the #9 seems smoother, almost richer.

Bad: New Belgium Rampant Imperial IPA. Like Redz' experiences with Sam Adams, I've been disappointed lately by the New Belgiums I've been trying. I love hop bombs, but like NB's Ranger IPA, I found the Rampant so hoppy that it tasted grassy. Grassy, and hot, in the way that a cheap, highly alcoholic beer tastes. Was not a fan, although my SO said she enjoyed it.

Excellent: Weihenstephaner Vitus. Beer fans know about this brewery's claim as the oldest continuously operating (since the 1050s). The Vitus is a weizenbock: at 7.7% ABV, think of it as an imperial hefeweizen. If you're a fan of the Bavarian style of hefeweizen, with its banana/bubble gum estery goodness, then this is your beer. The mack daddy of German hefeweizens. Just fantastic.

Also, I spent last weekend in Eugene, OR, home of the University of Oregon and some fine breweries. Managed to visit Oakshire Brewing and Falling Sky Brewery, and both of them are producing some terrific beer. If you guys are ever on the West Coast and see their beers on tap, give them a try. Highly recommended: Oakshire's Espresso Stout.

« Reply #546 on: May 12, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Tried a few Sam Adams beers:
Double Bock - $10 for a four pack but worth it (9.5% alcohol)  Dark beer but sweet and smooth, not too heavy

White Lantern - thought it was going to be better but not so great

Imperial White - not the first time I've had it.  My favorite beer ever.  Over 10% alcohol but very smooth.  Also about $10 for a 4 pack.  I wish I had more! 

Griffin's Bow - I've only seen it in the big bottles.  Reminds me of the Imperial White but not quite as good.  Not a bad substitute though.  High alc content but still smooth and tasty

« Reply #547 on: May 17, 2013, 07:01:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://www.kentuckyale.com/kentucky-bourbon-barrel-ale

kentucky boubon ale....was very expensive, very alcoholic, and not worth it. It won't be joining my rotation

Update...I had it again and it wasn't so bad, but it's still not getting into the rotation
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 05:08:41 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #548 on: July 25, 2013, 01:20:25 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I've tried a few new beers lately. I'll try to remember them while under the influence of some of them:

Recent:

Left Hand Brewing's Nitro Milk Stout:
Oh. My. God. Rating: 7.5/10
-This beer upfront is boozey, complex, and awesome. So happy I tried it. The nitrogen isn't as pronounced as say..Guinness, but it's there, and a hard pour gives a rewarding head to the beer (shut up Michael Scott).
Drinkability: 5
This tastes delicious, and unlike boozey stouts like Imperials, the 6.5% doesn't feel like it. That is a negative. This beer will get you stupid. Imbibe with caution.
Appearance: 9.5/10
Looks like a dream. Really does.

Bear Republic's Black Racer IPA
GOOD LORD, THIS IS A BEER, MADE BY REGULAR GUYS?: 8/10
-Smooth, hoppy, complex. Freaking delicious. Very like the Racer 5, by design, and to its credit. Best black IPA I've ever had.
Drinkability: Very hoppy, strong, of you get hammered and start singing Irish drinking songs in August, you deserved it. You knew what you were doing.
Appearance: Blsck as night, beautiful as dawn.

Peak Organics IPA
You call this a beer, but it's obviously mana from heaven. Why the confusion? Rating: 5/10
It's a well hopped, well crafted IPA. Not impressive, but not disregardable. If you, like me, are always in quest of a good IPA at a decent price, Im getting this for $9.99 a sixer in NY, in the midst of a beer desert. Well worth it.
Drinkability: Not sessionable, but not something you drink one or two of and start wondering why the world keeps spinning either.
Appearance: It's a beer, looks like a beer.

Dogfishhead 61 (their fruity IPA)
Beer? Naw this is why cavemen painted on walls. Rating: 3/10
Not impressed. Grape must? Get outta here.
Drinkability: meh
Meh.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:42:27 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #549 on: August 10, 2013, 04:43:07 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I don't know if this qualifies for this thread, but  we recently went to a new pub/grill here in Clearwater, Florida.  It is owned by someone who brews beer in Maine,  is called the Sea Dog, and specializes in beer and New England sea food.  This time we skipped the beer and went straight to the lobster rolls.  :D .   I can't say they were good, I can't say they were bad...it took us the whole time we were there to figure out the strange spice (?) that was used in them.  They had a definite blueberry flavor!  My brother decided (after looking at the beer list) that they were steamed in their signature brew...Blueberry Beer!  Very strange.  I still haven't decided whether I liked the lobster that way.... ???....but since it has taken me so long, I guess the answer is not a strong yes, at any rate. 

(I heard the fried clams were terrific!)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #550 on: August 10, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That'd be the Sea Dog Brewing Company.

Not a big fan of their blueberry wheat, myself, but cool to hear of them outside ME.

Had some Peaks Organic Summer a couple weeks ago. Nice, not as bland as I was expecting for a "summer" beer.

Maine--we make good beer!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 05:21:16 PM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #551 on: August 20, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
I thought this was neat: the Beeriodic Table:

http://thebeermongers.com/beers/

« Reply #552 on: August 20, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

[dang] fine stout. 

(sippin...)

« Reply #553 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Peak organic
tree house

« Reply #554 on: September 04, 2013, 09:21:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

This is really good stuff.  Not quite a saison, but not quite a pale ale.  Very smooth and drinkable with a nice little hop bite at the end.  Unfortunately it's from Oklahoma so it's probably not available near most posters here.

/sippin