Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 273604 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #480 on: November 05, 2012, 03:13:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Had this stuff in fall of 2010 and hadn't seen it since until came across it at one of the regional liquor stores on Friday night. 

Excellent stuff.  Strongly recommmend.  2 years was worth the wait to have it again.

Dogfish Head Miles Davis B*tches Brew

Did you have as much trouble as I did finding a picture that wouldn't set off the filter?   :)

I love this stuff, I (hopefully) have some waiting when I get back East for the holidays.  One of the best DFH limited runs.

If you can find the Faithfull Ale I strongly recommend that too.

« Reply #481 on: November 05, 2012, 03:18:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Want to brew it at home?
Here ya go -- you can buy the home brew kit here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/white-house-recipe-kits

Just got the honey porter in the mail today.  Will probably brew it in a week or two.  Thanks for the tip!

Oh man, I'm jealous!  You definitely need to do a full on, beer advocate worthy description of the resulting brew!

I'll keep you posted - goal is for it to be ready a bit before the election rolls around.

Thought it'd be better to put this here than bump a dead thread.

The White House Honey Porter came out really well - very good body, with a balanced sweet flavor that goes well with the nuttiness of the porter.  Pretty potent too - I didn't measure ABV but it tastes almost like an imperial porter, and subjective "results" point to a pretty strong brew.

Only thing I didn't like is that it's not as well-carbonated as I'd want, but that's probably my fault.  Tasty stuff though, I'll be having a few tomorrow.

EDIT:  TP for the tip, Lucky!  I'll try that next time around.

« Reply #482 on: November 05, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I've been having carbonation issues with my batches lately as well.

A friend of mine recommended measuring out my priming sugar by weight, not volume. I'll be trying this next time.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #483 on: November 05, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Had this stuff in fall of 2010 and hadn't seen it since until came across it at one of the regional liquor stores on Friday night. 

Excellent stuff.  Strongly recommmend.  2 years was worth the wait to have it again.

Dogfish Head Miles Davis B*tches Brew

Did you have as much trouble as I did finding a picture that wouldn't set off the filter?   :)

I love this stuff, I (hopefully) have some waiting when I get back East for the holidays.  One of the best DFH limited runs.

If you can find the Faithfull Ale I strongly recommend that too.

I was absolutely floored when I saw a bunch of them sitting on the shelf.  Grabbed two of them and may go back for more.

Great Lakes Christmas Ale was out too and picked up a couple of 6 packs.  A very productive night.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #484 on: November 05, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Sam Adams Oyster Stout

i think i had my favorite beer ever tonight...it has pretty much everything i like in a beer, plus, apparently some oysters...now I couldn't taste any oysters - maybe a hint of saltiness...lots and lots of dark coffee and chocolate...a really interesting thick foamy brown head, but not so ridiculously heavy a beer that you can't have more than one.

I had a couple of these tonight with some really excellent food.  This brew wade for the Wellfleet Oyster Fest and is only available on tap.  Really glad I randomly stumbled upon it.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/53463

One thing I discovered when I did the Sam Adams Brewery tour is that their best beers are generally not for sale regularly.  They make some great small batch stuff, that is only or special occasions like that, or just that they are testing out, and give out at the brewery tour.

I really want more of this!

I went and saw Seven Psychopaths the next day (probably a topic for another thread, but work with me here)...Tom Waits had a role in that movie that reminded me of my Sam Adams Oyster Stout with an excellent meal.  Both the stout and Tom Waits were by no means the main part of an outstanding overall experience, but they both represented some of my favorite things in their respective places among things I like a lot - and without them the experiences would not have been nearly as over the top great and memorable.

So there you have it Tom Waits = Sam Adams Oyster Stout
Yup

« Reply #485 on: November 05, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Commodore Perry from Great Lakes is really good, so was the Peats Organic IPA. Had both of those last weekend. Not mind-boggling good, but better than average.

If anyone ever sees a Lake Erie Monster from Great Lakes, buy that immediately.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #486 on: December 09, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Season and style aside, one of the best Belgians I've ever had.  Strongly recommended.

« Reply #487 on: December 09, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1980
I picked up a pack of this one week ago:

It contains 4 different beers - 2 oatmeal stouts, 2 dark ales, 4 IPAs, and 4 original ales.

The oatmeal stout and dark ale are absolute winners.  I always look up a beer's ratings on beeradvocate.com after I taste it, and was a bit surprised to see the oatmeal stout given a 100 score by the bros.  Anyway, these beers are two of the better beers I've tried since I moved to Boston 4 months ago.  The IPA and original ale are very, very good as well. 

Very highly recommended - of all the variety packs I've tried, this one is probably my favorite so far.  I believe I picked up this 12 pack for ~$15.  Well worth it.

« Reply #488 on: December 11, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Green Flash Le Freak.
A 10 out of 10.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #489 on: December 11, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

It contains 4 different beers - 2 oatmeal stouts, 2 dark ales, 4 IPAs, and 4 original ales.

The oatmeal stout and dark ale are absolute winners.  I always look up a beer's ratings on beeradvocate.com after I taste it, and was a bit surprised to see the oatmeal stout given a 100 score by the bros.  Anyway, these beers are two of the better beers I've tried since I moved to Boston 4 months ago.  The IPA and original ale are very, very good as well. 

Very highly recommended - of all the variety packs I've tried, this one is probably my favorite so far.  I believe I picked up this 12 pack for ~$15.  Well worth it.

Sounds like a great deal.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #490 on: December 11, 2012, 11:00:16 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I picked these up last week:

I have had southern tier in the past and always found them to be ok, not great, but this is a pretty smooth winter ale. I like it.

It's similar to sams with less "WOW did you notice we put HOLIDAY SPICES UP IN THIS PIECE??!?!" uberness,  and alittle crisper on the whole.

Think of a real smooth drinking sams seasonal. So, worth the 8.50 I got em for, but if you see it for 10ish grab something else.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #491 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Yes, I've always like the Ipswich Oatmeal Stout. Used to be able to get them in jugs as well, not sure if still available this way.

My favorite oatmeal stout is Founders Breakfast Stout (another 100 from the BA bros).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #492 on: December 12, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »

Offline InfiniteMH

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
So I've caught the tail end of a segment on the radio today that some Belgium beer goes on sale today in the states that costs $85 bucks.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Edit: Here's a link to the article. I guess it'll be a bit tough to get these.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/not-your-average-brewski-167803685.html
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:09:34 PM by InfiniteMH »

« Reply #493 on: December 12, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
So I've caught the tail end of a segment on the radio today that some Belgium beer goes on sale today in the states that costs $85 bucks.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Edit: Here's a link to the article. I guess it'll be a bit tough to get these.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/not-your-average-brewski-167803685.html

Ah, the Westvleteren XII promo. It's on sale at my local biercafe. I'm considering it, only due to the beer's reputation as perhaps the "best in the world." I can't say I'm fond of quadrupels, though.

I might still do it, if I can find someone to split it with me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 04:06:23 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #494 on: December 12, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Anybody else been enjoying New Belgium's Folly Pack?
It's 4 specialty beers, and all of em can't miss

Ranger IPA-  serious hops, but not overwhelming
Abbey-  clovey, medium body, very drinkable
Snow Day-  strong winter ale, maybe my favorite of the group
Fat Tire-  the og standard from NB