Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 273530 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #675 on: September 05, 2014, 12:48:25 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
St. Bernardus Abt 12. Best beer I've ever had, hands down. It was pretty pricey though. Imported from Belgium.

+1. One of the best imo also.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:58:33 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #676 on: September 05, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
Lagunitas' Little Sumpin' Extra.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/52077/

I ordered a pint of this, tasted it, and exclaimed, "Holy crap, this is a great beer."

It is. It really is. Drink it.

Got a 6 pack of this from Trader Joe's the other day, sitting in my fridge nice and cold for tomorrow (Friday is designated drinking day).  Looking greatly forward to it.

Lagunitas IPA is pretty darn good too.

You weren't kidding.  Little Sumpin' Extra is great beer.  Kicking back after a stressful day at work and enjoying it immensely.  I got 5 more plus 2 leftover Lagunitas IPAs = a good drunken Friday.  Only thing that's missing is a Celtics game.

Highly recommend this beer.
I have been exploring the wonderful realm of beer for many years and I really love where we're at now. Micro-brews on every corner, in every garage and for me the hoppier the better so the IPA era is perfect.
One of the most enjoyable beers I ever had was ordered from a club in Sydney by a couple my wife and I met on our honeymoon back in the early 90's, the people are so friendly over there. The man's go to draft beer he called a Toohey's black and I think is known as Toohey's Old black ale. It was just perfect in that moment, smooth and tasty.
I'm constantly buying different stuff looking for another moment like that, not that taste, but something to be remembered. So based on reading this blog I kept my eyes open for the Lag's Extra and stumbled on it two days ago. My wife and I had one that evening. She loves all types of beer but when she tried the Extra she said it was maybe her perfect beer. Just enough hops but not overbearing and just sweet enough. I enjoyed it as well, a real good beer, highly recommended. We're not beer snobs just love the taste  :D
Yesterday I'm driving to a fantasy football draft and see this really cool looking delivery truck and as I get closer it's a Lagunita's beer truck, I loved the graphics. I tried Googling a pic of it but didn't find it. Anyone else seen the truck? Are theirs all like that? I'm a long way from their brewery. This shot gives a little taste of what it looked like but not exact and it was a smaller delivery truck.

G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #677 on: September 05, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I went to deschutes brewery in portland oregon and had their black butte.  i'm not a dark beer fan, but it was really good.  this is the sampler i got.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #678 on: September 05, 2014, 12:53:30 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I went to deschutes brewery in portland oregon and had their black butte.  i'm not a dark beer fan, but it was really good.  this is the sampler i got.

I love Deschutes. I have the remains of a 12 of their Inversion IPA in my fridge at the moment.

Was that the Chainbreaker in the upper right? That's one of my favorite beers.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #679 on: September 05, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I love Deschutes. I have the remains of a 12 of their Inversion IPA in my fridge at the moment.

Great brewery.

I was drinking their Twilight Summer Ale on my birthday last week.  Very solid pale ale.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #680 on: September 05, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Great brewery.

I was drinking their Twilight Summer Ale on my birthday last week.  Very solid pale ale.

Armory XPA is another nice pale they do.

Not sure if they distribute Fresh Squeezed nationwide, but that's one of theirs I *really* like. I love Citra hopped beers.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #681 on: September 05, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
my department bought some German import beer today called Schofferhofer

pretty juicy beer in my opinion, even more weird is that a German produced a girly beer :-p

« Reply #682 on: September 05, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
St. Bernardus Abt 12. Best beer I've ever had, hands down. It was pretty pricey though. Imported from Belgium.

not bad, but rochforte 10 kills it, easily. of course, it must be at room temperature. yum.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #683 on: September 06, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

not bad, but rochforte 10 kills it, easily. of course, it must be at room temperature. yum.

Sorry man but i disagree. I like Rochforte 10 but Abt 12 is more balanced. 

Abt 12 has the all the tools to win the best beer award

« Reply #684 on: September 25, 2014, 10:47:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
First time trying Chimay beer. Tasty, cheap alternative to ABT 12

« Reply #685 on: September 25, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Chimay's amazing (though I never liked the white), but it's not especially cheap.  Look for some Ommegang for some cheaper Belgian style beers made in America (Chimay owns them).

« Reply #686 on: September 25, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Chimay's amazing (though I never liked the white), but it's not especially cheap.  Look for some Ommegang for some cheaper Belgian style beers made in America (Chimay owns them).

I starting to love Belgian beer.  The "white" citrus commercial ones like Hogaarden or lower level ones like Leffe Blonde are just "ok" though.

Never seen Ommegang before. I'll try it out.

You tried ABT 12 before?

« Reply #687 on: September 26, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »

Offline Asher77

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
Funny, I drink a lot of dark beers and love to sample all these micro brews out there, so many good ones but........as a poster alluded to it is not always the beer that's best but the moment you have it. Thinking now to add my best I came up with a list that are not what I would expect but are truly those that I will never forget.

Amstel Light off tap when you are flying high in Amsterdam, so smooth without that imported taste.
Milwaukee Best kegstand in a frat house basement.
Red Hook from the brewery after a day of skiing
Ice cold Coors Light/Bud Light from the can while playing horseshoes
Pabst Blue Ribbon at a local Fenway bar after a Sox game

Beer can be more about where you drink it and with who than how it tastes, that being said I don't think any of these beers sniff a top prize in a taste test

« Reply #688 on: September 26, 2014, 01:00:11 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I starting to love Belgian beer.  The "white" citrus commercial ones like Hogaarden or lower level ones like Leffe Blonde are just "ok" though.

Never seen Ommegang before. I'll try it out.

You tried ABT 12 before?

Yeah.  Excellent beer.  But it's a bit much sometimes - can't drink the really heavy stuff very often.  I really like their Prior which is a little easier to handle.

« Reply #689 on: September 26, 2014, 02:00:19 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Funny, I drink a lot of dark beers and love to sample all these micro brews out there, so many good ones but........as a poster alluded to it is not always the beer that's best but the moment you have it. Thinking now to add my best I came up with a list that are not what I would expect but are truly those that I will never forget.

Amstel Light off tap when you are flying high in Amsterdam, so smooth without that imported taste.
Milwaukee Best kegstand in a frat house basement.
Red Hook from the brewery after a day of skiing
Ice cold Coors Light/Bud Light from the can while playing horseshoes
Pabst Blue Ribbon at a local Fenway bar after a Sox game

Beer can be more about where you drink it and with who than how it tastes, that being said I don't think any of these beers sniff a top prize in a taste test

I think of it a lot like food. I take great pride in the food I cook for my family.
When I make grilled chicken, I brine it, because it's better. When I make beef stew I saut? the beef lightly covered in flour and spices, because it's better than just throwing it in. When I cook bacon, I cook it in just enough water to cover it because it's better. It doesn't make the Italian marinated chicken breasts of my youth worse, but they are what they are, a product of nostalgia.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner