Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 274526 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #435 on: September 29, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Shipyard Pumpkinhead is readily available in pretty much every liquor store in Metrowest MA, for what it's worth.
Year-round? Completely contrary to what I've been told ... by the distributor, no less.

Live and learn, guess I'll not take his advice again.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #436 on: September 29, 2012, 11:01:26 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Got my first dog fish head Punks of the season great beer when in season.

Also tried the left hand brewery's Nitro milk stout...not as impressed as I have been with other Left hand offerings. It's not a bad stout, just kinda...there.

I expect more outta Left hand.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #437 on: September 29, 2012, 11:15:22 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Shipyard Pumpkinhead is readily available in pretty much every liquor store in Metrowest MA, for what it's worth.
Year-round? Completely contrary to what I've been told ... by the distributor, no less.

Live and learn, guess I'll not take his advice again.

Sorry, didn't realize you meant year round...thought we were talking seasonal only.  Yeah outside fall beer season you're not gonna find it down here.  Sorry bout that!

« Reply #438 on: September 29, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Got my first dog fish head Punks of the season great beer when in season.
Also tried the left hand brewery's Nitro milk stout...not as impressed as I have been with other Left hand offerings. It's not a bad stout, just kinda...there.

I expect more outta Left hand.

So good.  Liquor stores are pretty much out of the stuff already out here.  Bar I went to last night said they sold their last Punkin Ales a couple of nights ago.  Major bummer although I have 2 four packs sitting on my counter at home waiting for the right time to get toss them in the fridge.  Also stocked up on Pumpking this fall.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #439 on: October 03, 2012, 05:20:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Going here after work tonight:

http://www.belmont-station.com/

NEXT EVENT: WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 3 FROM 5-8PM
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 3 5-8PM PUMPKIN PARTY AND BOTTLE TASTING.

Gorge yourself with gourds and celebrate Autumn with us at the Pumpkin Party.  We will tap an array of pumpkin selections, including Uinta Punk'n, Southern Tier Pumking, Elysian Imperial Great Pumpkin & Blight Pumpkin Ale (the 9th beer of the Apocalypse series)!  Curious about what you haven't tried? We'll also have a free tasting in the bottle shop, including Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard Pumpkinhead & Smashed Pumpkin, Wasatch, Blue Moon Harvest, Uinta Punk'n, Epic/DC Brau Imperial Pumpkin Porter, Dogfish Head Punkin, and Buffalo Bills Original Ale, plus Ace and Woodchuck Pumpkin Ciders! Wow, that's a lot of Pumpkin! Dogfish Head Punkin is very limited this year, so we will start selling it at 5PM today and limit it to two per person.

Sounds like I absolutely need to try the Wasatch, So Tier, Shipyard, and Dogfish Head selections. Any other recommendations?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #440 on: October 03, 2012, 06:16:10 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Gorge yourself with gourds and celebrate Autumn with us at the Pumpkin Party.  We will tap an array of pumpkin selections, including Uinta Punk'n, Southern Tier Pumking, Elysian Imperial Great Pumpkin & Blight Pumpkin Ale (the 9th beer of the Apocalypse series)!  Curious about what you haven't tried? We'll also have a free tasting in the bottle shop, including Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard Pumpkinhead & Smashed Pumpkin, Wasatch, Blue Moon Harvest, Uinta Punk'n, Epic/DC Brau Imperial Pumpkin Porter, Dogfish Head Punkin, and Buffalo Bills Original Ale, plus Ace and Woodchuck Pumpkin Ciders! Wow, that's a lot of Pumpkin! Dogfish Head Punkin is very limited this year, so we will start selling it at 5PM today and limit it to two per person.

Sounds like I absolutely need to try the Wasatch, So Tier, Shipyard, and Dogfish Head selections. Any other recommendations?

Sounds like an awesome event. 

I'd be interested to hear how the Elysian Imperial Pumpkin tastes.  I don't what an Apocalypes Series of beers entails but its gotta be interesting.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #441 on: October 03, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

For shipyard the smashing pumpkin is their premium pumpkin beer. If they have Saranac I'd recommend trying that one, or the Cambridge brewing company if they are there. Those are two of my favorite pumpkin beers.

« Reply #442 on: October 03, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I just  wrote a really good review on a few Dogfish Head beers then my browser froze up  >:(.

Short version:  Theobroma: love it

World Wide Stout: over the top stoutness...take small sips!

90 Minute IPA:  perfect IPA

Yup

« Reply #443 on: October 03, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
There is no beer strong enough for this debate. I'm getting out the Jameson Whisky

« Reply #444 on: October 03, 2012, 10:23:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
There is no beer strong enough for this debate. I'm getting out the Jameson Whisky

In my review that got zapped, I mentioned that a pint of the Dogfish Head Theobroma is making the debate doable.
Yup

« Reply #445 on: October 03, 2012, 10:25:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

In my review that got zapped, I mentioned that a pint of the Dogfish Head Theobroma is making the debate doable.

Awesome, like Theobroma, love WWStout.  And there's a Palo Santo Marron in my fridge that's starting to call my name...

« Reply #446 on: October 03, 2012, 10:27:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
So if I get a large beer mug...and I fill the mug with the whiskey like soooo...

« Reply #447 on: October 03, 2012, 10:29:07 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Wow. I just found a cure for the next 4 years.

« Reply #448 on: October 03, 2012, 11:10:41 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

I don't even drink beer much, and that makes me wish I had one,  ;).  If it can do that, it must be great!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #449 on: October 03, 2012, 11:20:23 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Well, that was fun.

Started with Southern Tier. Probably not a wise move, since it provided a skewed baseline for comparison. My immediate reaction: it's what Willy Wonka would brew. Whimsical, but still really well executed.

Elysian had four brews to sample. Dark of the Moon was their pumpkin stout, with hints of cinnamon, quite nice. Blight (the Beer of the Apocalypse) is a pumpkin ale also brewed with cinnamon; I found it a little malty for my taste, like a warmer. I did like their imperial, Great Pumpkin, and their Night Owl, both of which were brewed with pumpkin seeds, which added a nice roastiness to them. They were all pretty good.

Epic Brewing did a really nice pumpkin porter. Tried the Wasatch, which I did like, even though it was an amber. The Shipyard Pumpkinhead and the Smashed Pumpkin were OK, too, but only just.

I was getting restless/hungry by this point, so I left before trying them all (skipped on Uinta, Bill's, Brew Moon, and some pumpkin ciders). Last one I tried was the Dogfish Head, which actually left me a little wanting. Perhaps I had unreasonable expectations. I did think it had good balance, but maybe not as much pumpkin-ness compared to some of the others.

Bought a bomber of the Southern Tier on my way out. Might save that for later in the season; I may go back to drink the Pumpking while it's still on tap this week (and beyond?).
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague