Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 273531 times)

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #420 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:12 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Drinking the Harvest Pumpkin Ale from that Sammy sampler right now. Words fail. I literally do not know what this is. It's almost like someone took a fairly watered down, undercarbonated ale, and dropped a shot of maple syrup in it.

Kind of like a winter warmer, without the warm.

Glad to hear this from someone else about the uncarbonated beer.  I poured a Harvest Pumpkin this weekend and there was literally no head to the beer, it was completely flat.  Taste was OK but you need at least a little bit of carbonation.

« Reply #421 on: September 28, 2012, 09:31:25 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Pretty good - nice moderate pale ale flavor. 

Everything I've had by Tallgrass (Oatmeal Stout, IPA, this one) has been very good - their beers are very smooth-bodied though, even the IPA, so hopseekers may want to look elsewhere.

« Reply #422 on: September 28, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lakefront Brewery Pumpkin Lager (Milwaukee, WI)

A light but very delicious pumpkin.  Not overly sweet.  Very smooth.  Highly recommend.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #423 on: September 28, 2012, 11:21:17 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
As someone who recently turned 21, I seek guidance from some of our veteran members of CB.

What do I absolutely need to try?

« Reply #424 on: September 28, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
As someone who recently turned 21, I seek guidance from some of our veteran members of CB.

Wow.  That's a loaded question.

On a short list of breweries to try:

Lagunitas
Stone
New Belgium
Southern Tier
Goose Island
Long Trail
Dogfish Head

Just to name a few...

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #425 on: September 28, 2012, 11:34:29 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'd say first try different styles of beer to see which ones appeal to you.  Start with simpler beers like pale ales and porters and work your way toward more intense types like double IPAs, Belgians, and imperial stouts.  Try at least a couple different kinds of each style.  A lot of brewers make sampler packs which are great for this. 

Once you figure out what styles you like you can seek out brewers that do those styles well - I'm sure folks here will be happy to make recommendations.

« Reply #426 on: September 28, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.

A light but very delicious pumpkin.  Not overly sweet.  Very smooth.  Highly recommend.

I'm not too fond of the Lakefront Pumpkin. I picked up a sixer the other day and it was a pretty generic tasting pumpkin ale. It did the job, but I guess I expected more. I actually feel that way about most of Lakefront's brews - they are a bit overrated in the WI/IL area.

One pumpkin beer that I had that was AWESOME was Wasatch:

A very sweet first sip and a nice wash of flavors through the whole bottle. It might be a bit too pumpkin pie-ish for some people, but I really like it. Definitely my favorite pumpkin ale so far, even if it's light on the alcohol content.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #427 on: September 28, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Everyone has a different holy grail, but here is my advice: Take baby steps.

If you're like me, when you turned 21, your own experience with beer is mostly limited to whatever people give you, and when you actually do get to tell someone a thing you want, you didn't know enough to actually select anything really 'good'.

To me (and I'm kind of particular)I'd start by trying very common and cheaper examples of 'types' of beers.

Killians Irish Red
Yuengling Black and Tan
Harpoon IPA or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (they're basically the same)
Sam's Boston Lager
Guinness
Smithwicks (pronounced 'Smiddicks')

Those are all baselines..they're not the 'best' examples of their genres, but beer is kind of like wine. Until you know what you're drinking, you're probably not going to appreciate it as much as someone who has refined their pallet, and the smaller and more unique the beer, generally the more expensive. Its best to find out what you like before you go spending $10 a bomber (a 22 oz bottler of beer).

If I would've tried like say...Dogfish Head's Burton's Baton Imperial IPA when I was just turning 21, I'm not sure I would've liked it. If you get my meaning. Find out what you like, and then explore.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:53:51 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #428 on: September 28, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Speaking of which, check this out:

http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2012/09/the-politics-of-3.php

So Sam's drinkers are staunchly republican, and usually turn out, while Heiny drinkers are democrats, and don't.

Also, Natty-Ice drinkers responded to the survey with, "Too Drunk, Didn't Read"
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:06:21 PM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #429 on: September 28, 2012, 12:30:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I'd say first try different styles of beer to see which ones appeal to you.  Start with simpler beers like pale ales and porters and work your way toward more intense types like double IPAs, Belgians, and imperial stouts.  Try at least a couple different kinds of each style.  A lot of brewers make sampler packs which are great for this. 

Once you figure out what styles you like you can seek out brewers that do those styles well - I'm sure folks here will be happy to make recommendations.

This is what I'd recommend, too.

Sampler packs are great opportunities to try out different types or styles of beers. Spending $10 on a sixer you've never tried before may be somewhat risky; see if your local merchant allows you to mix and match your own sixers. Or, buy single 22 oz bottles (bombers) if there's something that intrigues you.

If you're drinking out, pubs and taprooms usually offer flights (taster trays) of beers. That can also be a good way to try out new styles, especially local beer.

LT, where are you living?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:45:37 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #430 on: September 28, 2012, 04:36:21 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown

Here's the thing: A lot of the beers discussed on here are craft/microbrews, many of which are an acquired taste to say the least.  I'm 29 now, but when I was 21, I honestly think I would have spit out half the beers that I regularly enjoy now.  It's just such a big jump from the usual "college beers" I was chugging at the time and still do when I want something light and/or cheap.  So it kinda depends what you currently are into and what you've been drinking so far.  If you have a few extra bucks, find a store with a craft beer section and give something a shot.

A couple people suggested grabbing some sampler packs, whether it's Sam Adams fall sampler or some other kind.  Some places even let you make your own 6 packs.  It's a good way to try a bunch of different beers without dropping $10 on a bomber of something you end up hating.

« Reply #431 on: September 28, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
This ...

Big bottle, Belgian style. Nice.

Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #432 on: September 28, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Just tried a Sierra Nevada Oatmeal Stout on tap in Allston - didn't know they made one til last week but it was delicious! Might be my favorite oatmeal stout

Also, Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale is now one of my new favorites.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #433 on: September 28, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I'm not too fond of the Lakefront Pumpkin. I picked up a sixer the other day and it was a pretty generic tasting pumpkin ale. It did the job, but I guess I expected more. I actually feel that way about most of Lakefront's brews - they are a bit overrated in the WI/IL area.

One pumpkin beer that I had that was AWESOME was Wasatch:

A very sweet first sip and a nice wash of flavors through the whole bottle. It might be a bit too pumpkin pie-ish for some people, but I really like it. Definitely my favorite pumpkin ale so far, even if it's light on the alcohol content.

The best of any of the pumpkins, IMHO, and one of my favorite beers period, (not the easiest to find outside of Maine, I'm told, though I live right down the street from a distributor, whose owner is a childhood friend, haha).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #434 on: September 29, 2012, 09:38:38 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
Shipyard Pumpkinhead is readily available in pretty much every liquor store in Metrowest MA, for what it's worth.