Author Topic: The French football (soccer) team should be ashamed  (Read 30189 times)

Re: If you are French you should be ashamed.
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 11:58:04 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I'm not french. But are you really going to blame a nation for a missed call. If you ever watched Soccer, People do it all the time. It happens nearly in every match. Referee didn't do his due diligence.

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 12:28:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8367420.stm

Thierry Henry is scum. I've always thought that and I think it even more now. The way he behaved when Gallas (who is also an animal) scored is unprofessional and frankly diabolical. It makes me sick to the pits of my stomach.

When it comes to sport, and I do not regret what I'm about to say, the French are a world-class joke full of arrogant, primadonna cheats who will hopefully get their karma in South Africa.

I hate when people make generalizations like these. Same as when people criticised the Spanish Bball team I think this vision of French sports is unfair and way exaggerated. We could make the same assumptions about the different post Dream Team USA squads and their travelling non calls for Lebron for example. Arrogance is spread and every country has their teams with some issues. Relax

Google "arrogant french" and see how many football related articles you find. In fact, you could probably just Google "arrogant" and find the majority of it is about the French.

EDIT: Check PM's.

And the rest are about us Americans.

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »

Offline rathcor

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I comletely agree with CM.  Henry handled it twice and was offside and then celebrated like he won the world cup.  Henry is supposed to be the face of fairplay for football world wide. To see the arrogance of the french players look at the comments of Lassana Diarra, who said that the French played better over the 2 legs and deservered to go through.  Any one who watched those games could see that Ireland out played them.

The game needs to be replayed.  It has been done before for a ref mistake. 
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/germany2006/news/newsid=27212.html

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 01:17:54 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8367420.stm

Thierry Henry is scum. I've always thought that and I think it even more now. The way he behaved when Gallas (who is also an animal) scored is unprofessional and frankly diabolical. It makes me sick to the pits of my stomach.

When it comes to sport, and I do not regret what I'm about to say, the French are a world-class joke full of arrogant, primadonna cheats who will hopefully get their karma in South Africa.

I hate when people make generalizations like these. Same as when people criticised the Spanish Bball team I think this vision of French sports is unfair and way exaggerated. We could make the same assumptions about the different post Dream Team USA squads and their travelling non calls for Lebron for example. Arrogance is spread and every country has their teams with some issues. Relax

Google "arrogant french" and see how many football related articles you find. In fact, you could probably just Google "arrogant" and find the majority of it is about the French.

EDIT: Check PM's.

And the rest are about us Americans.

Well I'm not American either.

And I will single out a nation, in footballing terms anyway. The French have always been arrogant, petulant and cheaters. Look it up, it's a known fact (unless you're French, probably).

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 01:24:16 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I'm not french. But are you really going to blame a nation for a missed call.

I'm pretty sure that, in the 30s or so, two south american countries went to war mainly over a disputed soccer game.

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
FIFA should have replays. It's 2009 now. Come on. Whole nations sway with every single play. We don't really have anything like you have on a national level, thebirdman, so that must be pretty awesome. It was tough to see the Irish players bawling: it shows you how much it means.

Replays like in replaying the game where officials made mistakes?

Every football season there are literally hundreds of teams that lose games due to officiating mistakes. It's part of the game. What's the big drama now?

The whining of the Irish - one would think they had never won a game because of referees making bad calls in their benefit - is embarrassing.

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 01:34:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
FIFA should have replays. It's 2009 now. Come on. Whole nations sway with every single play. We don't really have anything like you have on a national level, thebirdman, so that must be pretty awesome. It was tough to see the Irish players bawling: it shows you how much it means.

Every football season there are literally hundreds of teams that lose games due to officiating mistakes. It's part of the game. What's the big drama now?

The whining of the Irish - one would think they had never won a game because of referees making bad calls in their benefit - is embarrassing.
There should be a review of offsides and handballs that result in goals. In world cup matches its not cost prohibitive, and it would result in a fairer overall competition.

What's wrong with that?

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 01:37:58 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

There should be a review of offsides and handballs that result in goals. In world cup matches its not cost prohibitive, and it would result in a fairer overall competition.

What's wrong with that?

They never stop the clock though, how does that work?  The only time play really stops for an extended period of time is when somebody is on the ground pretending like they got tripped.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

What's wrong with that?

They never stop the clock though, how does that work?  The only time play really stops for an extended period of time is when somebody is on the ground pretending like they got tripped.
I am aware of how soccer time keeping works.

You just add "review time" to stoppage and injury time. The refs already deal with that exact issue.

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 01:42:57 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

What's wrong with that?

It'd slow down the game too much.

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 01:45:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

What's wrong with that?

It'd slow down the game too much.
Any more than diving already does? Anymore than the celebrations after a made goal does? I don't buy it.

Especially when the average number of goals in soccer that'd be reviewable is rather low per match.

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

What's wrong with that?

You just add "review time" to stoppage and injury time. The refs already deal with that exact issue.

Congrats.

But when you look at other sports will replays, they only do it after a stoppage in play.  You are talking about only doing it in the case of plays that result in goals, but isnt that not fair to the offensive team?  If a defender gets away with a handball the prevents a goal and there is no review thats not fair to the offensive team since the same vioaltion on their part means a goal will get taken away.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 01:54:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

What's wrong with that?

Congrats.

But when you look at other sports will replays, they only do it after a stoppage in play.  You are talking about only doing it in the case of plays that result in goals, but isnt that not fair to the offensive team?  If a defender gets away with a handball the prevents a goal and there is no review thats not fair to the offensive team since the same vioaltion on their part means a goal will get taken away.
Sarcasm aside Rondo2287, you could broaden the review criteria to be fair to both offensive and defensive teams. And if a handball is used to stop a potential goal you can award a PK or a free kick, just like any other foul.

Its feasible and needs to happen. Otherwise you'll keep getting terrible mistakes like this.

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 01:56:16 PM »

Offline rathcor

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3

Not every football game costs a nation of people a chance to see their country compete in the world cup.  I cant think of one instance in the last 10 years in which Ireland have won a game on a bad refs decision.  If Ireland had won the game the way the french did i would be hidding my head in shame and looking for a replay to better our name

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 02:01:36 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

What's wrong with that?

Congrats.

Sarcasm aside Rondo2287, you could broaden the review criteria to be fair to both offensive and defensive teams. And if a handball is used to stop a potential goal you can award a PK or a free kick, just like any other foul.

Its feasible and needs to happen. Otherwise you'll keep getting terrible mistakes like this.

And what if a handball is called that wasnt actually a handball?  Do you review it?  and give a penalty kick?