Author Topic: Poker questions?  (Read 8339 times)

Poker questions?
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:44:34 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
You have A hearts A spades and 4 more hearts
on 5 cards classic poker
four players, only 2 bet
one change
you see the bet get raised and two cards are changed by the opposite player most likely he have 3 of a kind
What do you do

1) keep the 2 Az and look for the third
2) drop the A and go for the color
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

Re: Poker questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:52:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Raise back and when the draw cards are dealt keep the two Aces and a kicker asking for two. If you get the Ace great if not your bluff to get him to fold if his trips are low could still work.

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Raise back and when the draw cards are dealt keep the two Aces and a kicker asking for two. If you get the Ace great if not your bluff to get him to fold if his trips are low could still work.

I like the move
sone it a couple of times before
I consider myself a card carrier as in keep the best with my pair, people know that
what about the other 2 options nick
what abo

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 07:01:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
From a pure odds standpoint, you're more likely to beat the other guy's trips (assuming that's what he has) by drawing for the flush than drawing for trips. You have about a 19% chance of catching the flush on a 1-card draw and more like a 13% chance of getting trips on a 3-card draw. 

Also, if he's a smart player who pays attention to your draws, he'll assume you're either going for a flush or straight by drawing 1, and it will be easier to bluff him off trips if you don't hit.  If he's not, or if he tends to call down with a decent hand, you'll probably want to check/fold if you miss the flush.

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:01:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
So you have the ace of hearts and three other hearts? 

I'd go for the ace-high flush.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I like the move
I consider myself a card carrier as in keep the best with my pair, people know that
what abo
I play the player not the cards when I play poker so it's tough to say not knowing who I am betting and playing against. With four people playing, 20 cards out after the deal four of the same in your hand with probably 3-5 other cards from your suit out. Odds say probably throw out the ace and ask for one card but you have to be real good not to show your "tell" or give up what you got upon looking at that card if you want to pull a proper bluff. You ask for one card and he has three of a kind and you are automatically telling your opponent you are looking to catch a card to beat him.

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
yup thats what i thought thanks you two

O am assuming I open the hand so he knows i have a high pair at least and if i raise and pay or win without showing I have to show anyway to prove I open so he most likely see the A i throw away.

;D

Getting ready for the classic thursday poker night

I though could be cool to have a poker and hold em thread running as long as no betting sites are mentioned  ;D

Nice to be back!

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:07:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
From a pure odds standpoint, you're more likely to beat the other guy's trips (assuming that's what he has) by drawing for the flush than drawing for trips. You have about a 19% chance of catching the flush on a 1-card draw and more like a 13% chance of getting trips on a 3-card draw. 

Also, if he's a smart player who pays attention to your draws, he'll assume you're either going for a flush or straight by drawing 1, and it will be easier to bluff him off trips if you don't hit.  If he's not, or if he tends to call down with a decent hand, you'll probably want to check/fold if you miss the flush.
You left out the option that he may think you have two pair drawing for the boat.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 07:08:21 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

I like the move
what abo
I play the player not the cards when I play poker so it's tough to say not knowing who I am betting and playing against. With four people playing, 20 cards out after the deal four of the same in your hand with probably 3-5 other cards from your suit out. Odds say probably throw out the ace and ask for one card but you have to be real good not to show your "tell" or give up what you got upon looking at that card if you want to pull a proper bluff. You ask for one card and he has three of a kind and you are automatically telling your opponent you are looking to catch a card to beat him.

and yes thats true nick
In a table where everybody know each other is easier to play the other guy but i wanted to check the odds as fairweather explain.
thanks

Nice to be back!

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 07:09:40 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale

You left out the option that he may think you have two pair drawing for the boat.

And you can simple say no cards for me thanks
and make him think you have the straight but I was just thinking about those 2 to pick one between

Nice to be back!

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 07:10:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

True, but either way he's thinking if you hit, you have him beat (unless of course he drew quads or a boat of his own).

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 07:24:51 PM »

Offline green tea

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
on 5 cards classic poker
four players, only 2 bet
one change
you see the bet get raised and two cards are changed by the opposite player most likely he have 3 of a kind
What do you do

Hello,

Ok, it really depends. 

You have best odds of going for the flush.  If you don't hit your nut flush and get raised, then you can safely bow out of the pot.

Your decision is also easier if you go for the flush.  If you stick with your pair of Aces and don't hit anything on your draw, then you may be (incorrectly) tempted to call or barrell off with nothing but a pair of Aces.

Also, what kind of stakes are you playing?  Is it fixed limit or no limit?  That makes a big difference in your decision.

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 07:27:32 PM »

Offline green tea

• The Green Kornet
on 5 cards classic poker
four players, only 2 bet
one change
What do you do

Hello,

Ok, it really depends. 

You have best odds of going for the flush.  If you don't hit your nut flush and get raised, then you can safely bow out of the pot.

Your decision is also easier if you go for the flush.  If you stick with your pair of Aces and don't hit anything on your draw, then you may be (incorrectly) tempted to call or barrell off with nothing but a pair of Aces.

Also, what kind of stakes are you playing?  Is it fixed limit or no limit?  That makes a big difference in your decision.

I should've read through the entire thread.

Fairweather posted the exact odds...and that's really helpful. 

It's not enough to play ONLY the player and not the cards.  Conversely, it's not enough to player ONLY the cards and not the player.  You have to play both!

If you really want to improve your poker game, I'd recommend reading through David Sklansky.  There was this other great book I read ages ago.  I think it was called Thursday Night Poker. 

Good luck!
green tea

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
perfect tittle for me :)

yup is true all you say
I will play today and come with something new for the discussion tomorrow
Usually is limited poker we play every thursday for fun more than for money

Nice to be back!

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »

Offline green tea

• The Green Kornet
perfect tittle for me :)

yup is true all you say
I will play today and come with something new for the discussion tomorrow
Usually is limited poker we play every thursday for fun more than for money

I'd love to hear about how you do tonight!

Yes, it's funny...Thursday Night Poker.  Go look it up.  Great book!  And entertaining, just for casual reading.

Give us a recap later, Edgar!