Author Topic: ESPN 30 for 30  (Read 5333 times)

ESPN 30 for 30
« on: November 11, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Have people been watching this series?  Its basically ESPN's crack at matching HBO's documentary series.  So far, its been done surprising well (as opposed to most ESPN programming these days).  The subject matter has been great so far.  Lots of interesting material such as the USFL, Ali-Holmes, Len Bias (excruciatingly sad), and last night's feature on Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.

They also have some interesting documentaries coming up.  Particularly interested in the one about University of Miami football.

http://30for30.espn.com/

If you haven't checked it out, I definitely suggest it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: ESPN 30 for 30
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:50:23 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Late to the party....

But I really enjoy this series. I think each film maker is able to put their stamp on each film without having ESPN's grubby and greedy prints all over.

List of the ones I have seen so far:

1. Gretzky - "Kings Ransom" (I'm not a huge hockey fan, but this was very emotional and impact-full to the sport and to two neighboring countries.)

2. Ricky Williams - "Run Ricky Run" (I've never had a problem with Ricky Williams or "pot heads" in general, but glad to know more about the man instead of what has been portrayed by the media and the NFL. Very insightful documentary.)

3. Len Bias - "Without Bias" (Just a very sad and depressing recount of this senseless and unnecessary tragedy. Glad I got more information and "light" from this dark event.)

4. Fantasy Sports - "Silly Little Game" (I enjoy fantasy sports and this documentary had some funny moments thrown in as well.)

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 08:59:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Late to the party....

But I really enjoy this series. I think each film maker is able to put their stamp on each film without having ESPN's grubby and greedy prints all over.

List of the ones I have seen so far:

1. Gretzky - "Kings Ransom" (I'm not a huge hockey fan, but this was very emotional and impact-full to the sport and to two neighboring countries.)

2. Ricky Williams - "Run Ricky Run" (I've never had a problem with Ricky Williams or "pot heads" in general, but glad to know more about the man instead of what has been portrayed by the media and the NFL. Very insightful documentary.)

3. Len Bias - "Without Bias" (Just a very sad and depressing recount of this senseless and unnecessary tragedy. Glad I got more information and "light" from this dark event.)

4. Fantasy Sports - "Silly Little Game" (I enjoy fantasy sports and this documentary had some funny moments thrown in as well.)

Nice, LB.  I had forgot I started this thread way back.  This is an absolutely great series.  I have it set for series recording on my DVR and have barely been disappointed.  Some great subject matter. 

The ones I've really enjoyed:

1. "The Legend of Jimmy the Greek"-  Such a colorful character in good ways and in bad.  The vintage "NFL Today" footage is awesome. 

2. "Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?"-  More great subject matter.  People forget how legit this league was and some of the talent that played in it (Reggie White, Herschel Walker, Steve Young, Jim Kelly, etc...) 

3. "The U"- Old school Hurricane football.  You either loved them or hated them but they were a colorful bunch and certainly left a mark on college football history.  Jerome Brown was a beast and died tragically early.

4. "Winning Time: Reggie Miller v. The New York Knicks"-  This was going on in my indeliable years as a sports fan (early teens).  Seeing that Knicks team with Starks, Oakley, Mason, etc... certainly brought back some memories. 

5. "Without Bias"- Tragic, tragic story but was a very well done documentary.  This one was extremely tough to watch.

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The only one I've seen was the Iverson one.  It was well done and presented all sides fairly I thought.
Yup

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
I really wanted to see the Reggie Miller one but missed it :-\

Hearing Reggie talk about trash talking and trying to make John Starks look bad really grabbed my interest.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
I really wanted to see the Reggie Miller one but missed it :-\

Hearing Reggie talk about trash talking and trying to make John Starks look bad really grabbed my interest.
Me too. Reggie was one of my favorite 90's players.

The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:22:06 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I was watching the Miami one before the game and absolutely loved it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 12:27:06 AM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
I was watching the Miami one before the game and absolutely loved it.
Me too. I didnt realize how incredible The U was back then. They could really back up their smack talk.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 10:30:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
The Chris Herren documentary "Unguarded" is airing on Tuesday night. 

I know the reviews on the pre-screens are pretty good.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 02:50:38 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The Chris Herren documentary "Unguarded" is airing on Tuesday night. 

I know the reviews on the pre-screens are pretty good.

TP i just set this up on the DVR.