Author Topic: Chiefs release Larry Johnson  (Read 5897 times)

Re: Chiefs release Larry Johnson
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 12:54:04 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Okay so if the Pats don't get him, I still see him going to a playoff team who really needs him. Could he be worth a shot to the Saints who could use a Duece replacement? How about the Colts who haven't run the ball well in 1.5 years?

It might be worthwhile just to take him in to keep him off of other teams.

I know it seems that LJ is on the decline but that O line is just awful. You would be surprised what a chage of scenery could do for a guy with LJ's talent.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
The Pats shouldn't be allowed to sign Larry Johnson, it just wouldn't be fair for the rest of the teams in the league. LJ on a legit team is guaranteed 100 yards a week. He is like Zach Randolph, yeah he is a bad guy, but he WILL get his #'s no matter what! LJ simply makes secondary's lose sleep cause they are up all night praying they don't have to try and tackle him. We'll see if he can tone down the ego for the remainder of 2009 in exchange for a ring. Either way its good to get this amazing player off of that JV team, I miss watching him annihilate defenses.

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Okay so if the Pats don't get him, I still see him going to a playoff team who really needs him. Could he be worth a shot to the Saints who could use a Duece replacement? How about the Colts who haven't run the ball well in 1.5 years?

It might be worthwhile just to take him in to keep him off of other teams.

I know it seems that LJ is on the decline but that O line is just awful. You would be surprised what a chage of scenery could do for a guy with LJ's talent.

Not a prayer.  The Saints have three good, diverse backs in Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, and Reggie Bush.  I haven't seen the Colts play in a few weeks, but last I looked Donald Brown looked like a stud.

LJ is old.  Running backs who are successful after age 30 are about one in ten thousand.  You've got Fred Taylor and...  Fred Taylor.  LJ's slow; watch him play, he can't hit the hole quickly, and he's going down easily.  He's not even close to the same player he once was - the LJ that people remember from a few years back is simply gone.  Running backs are brilliant for a few years, then almost always fall off a cliff.  He's proving to be a horrible teammate.  He's talked smack about his head coach (that's a brilliant career move).  He's in the news for all the wrong reasons, he's more controversial these days that Michael Vick (for better or worse).

He's not signing anywhere other than maybe Oakland, and that's just because Al Davis hasn't watched a game tape since 2006. 

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
The Pats shouldn't be allowed to sign Larry Johnson, it just wouldn't be fair for the rest of the teams in the league. LJ on a legit team is guaranteed 100 yards a week. He is like Zach Randolph, yeah he is a bad guy, but he WILL get his #'s no matter what! LJ simply makes secondary's lose sleep cause they are up all night praying they don't have to try and tackle him. We'll see if he can tone down the ego for the remainder of 2009 in exchange for a ring. Either way its good to get this amazing player off of that JV team, I miss watching him annihilate defenses.

I'm not sure about this.  I just don't think he's the back that he was two or three years ago.  As mentioned by others, he's lost his burst.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 02:15:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The problem with Larry Johnson is not his immaturity (complains a lot, uses a gay slur on twitter describing his coach), or his off the field incidents (domestic abuse). The problem with Larry Johnson is that it looks like he's running with a piano on his back.

Maybe he can regain his form if motivated but he's not someone we need to add to our running back group this year. The patriots still believe Taylor and Morris will come back this season otherwise they would have been placed on the IR. He could be a good reclimation project for next season but not a good idea now.

I really don't think we need him. I consider myself a football guy and yesterday was the best I've seen Maroney run in his career. Yes, he didn't have a ton of yards, but he hit the hole hard and didn't dance (like he often does). He gained 80 hard fought yards against a very stout run defense. If he runs like this the rest of the season you will be seeing 200 yard games in his future.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:21:31 PM by Evantime34 »
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
ehh no thanks.

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
I look at LJ the same way I look at Iverson. I just don't think he's the type that would dismiss individual accolades for team success. I don't think he'd be willing to be a role player for the Pats, and would much prefer to be a feature back on a bad team.

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I don't really even think the comparison to a player like Iverson in hoops is valid.  Basketball players slow down over the course of many years.  KG's not the player he was four years ago, but he's still very effective.  If he'd accept the role, AI would be a top reserve on any team in the league, even though he's not good enough to start.  Guys like Ray Allen, you can see they aren't quite the superduperstar they once were but they remain very effective over time.

Football players, it's much more hit-or-miss, at least for skill players.  Guys don't just start not being QUITE as good, they go from "All-Pro" to "Major Suckitude" within the course of a season.  How fast did Marvin Harrison fall off the cliff? 

LJ's done.  He's not good enough to help a contending team, and no rebuilding squad wants to take him on because they're...  well, rebuilding.

Why aren't people clamoring to go pick up Edge James?  Edge rushed for 1200+ yards in '07 - '08.  Larry Johnson hasn't been relevant since the year before that.  Edge is only about nine months older.

Why is one player completely forgotten, and the other gets people's panties all moist?  Old running backs don't gently fade away, they take one too many hits and they suck.  His crappy attitude is irrelevant, LJ is done.

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 06:35:01 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
well we can put to rest any thuoghts about the pats bringing him in.

BB said no.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 08:36:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't really even think the comparison to a player like Iverson in hoops is valid.  Basketball players slow down over the course of many years.  KG's not the player he was four years ago, but he's still very effective.  If he'd accept the role, AI would be a top reserve on any team in the league, even though he's not good enough to start.  Guys like Ray Allen, you can see they aren't quite the superduperstar they once were but they remain very effective over time.

Football players, it's much more hit-or-miss, at least for skill players.  Guys don't just start not being QUITE as good, they go from "All-Pro" to "Major Suckitude" within the course of a season.  How fast did Marvin Harrison fall off the cliff? 

LJ's done.  He's not good enough to help a contending team, and no rebuilding squad wants to take him on because they're...  well, rebuilding.

Why aren't people clamoring to go pick up Edge James?  Edge rushed for 1200+ yards in '07 - '08.  Larry Johnson hasn't been relevant since the year before that.  Edge is only about nine months older.

Why is one player completely forgotten, and the other gets people's panties all moist?  Old running backs don't gently fade away, they take one too many hits and they suck.  His crappy attitude is irrelevant, LJ is done.

LJ is not that old. Edge was born 8/1/78 and has 3000 career carries. LJ was born 11/29/79 (just about to turn thirty) and more importantly has only 1250 career carries. Thats the huge difference. Also, there are many players that have played good at 29 to 31  or 32 the last few years. Curtis Martin is the obvious example, Emmit Smith rushed for about 5000 yards after turning 30. I believe thomas jones is over 30 and still currently performing very well. Other people feel free to add names. I am not saying we should necessarily sign LJ. However, to write him off now when he is just about to turn 30 and has a limited amount of carries is not really something i agree with.

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 09:00:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If I thought the Pats were really set at RB and that Fred Taylor and Sammy M were coming back from injury next week, and that Maroney was turning a corner I'd have no interest, but since I don't think that's happening I definitely think they need to do some due diligence on a guy that was one of the top 2 RBs in football only a couple years ago. I have my doubts that the Chiefs offensive line is so great or that any other RB will be great there.  When he's on a team where the focus is on the WRs he could do well.

He didn't do anything worse than Randy before he came here (or Mike Vick before he went to Philly). Some people in this state wouldn't like him being here, but the region would forgot all about that after a touchdown. 

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 10:29:27 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Evidently Mike Florio is not buying Belichick's comments yesterday at face value.

Per Profootballtalk.com:

Source: Keep an eye on the Pats and Larry Johnson
Posted by Mike Florio on November 10, 2009 10:05 AM ET
When the Chiefs cut Larry Johnson, we mentioned that a source had previously told us Patriots coach Bill Belichick wouldn't want a guy like Johnson around.

Now that Johnson is available (if he clears waivers), the same source now tells us to keep an eye on the Pats.

Of course, the Patriots will only have a shot at Johnson if none of the lower-tier teams submit a waiver claim. 

And the only way one of the lower-tier teams will have any chance at Johnson will be to submit a waiver claim.

If Johnson hits the open market, he'll never choose to sign with a bad team.  He wants to play and play well as he chases a contract on the open market in what likely will be an uncapped year.

The best recent example of this phenomenon comes from the team that cut Johnson.  Last week, the Chargers released receiver Chris Chambers.  And the Chiefs, who likely would have had no shot at signing him as a free agent, squatted on his contract via waivers.

With Chambers in the final year of his contract, he contributed two touchdowns in his first game, on a short week.

So if the Redskins or any other team on the wrong side of .500 wants Larry Johnson, the clock is ticking.  Once 4:00 p.m. ET rolls around, Johnson will be aiming more for the penthouse -- and Bill Belichick's desire to win a fourth Super Bowl title could be strong enough to persuade him to put Johnson on a one-strike arrangement like the one under which Randy Moss was operating in 2007.

The possibility that Johnson will land with the Patriots now makes us wonder whether another team might make a waiver claim for Johnson in the hopes of blocking his path to New England.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I say go for it, give him a short leash.  See if he can still run when his team is good and he cares. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
LJ to the Pats seems likely. 

The PR part of it... Does anyone really care that Vick is on the Eagles? 

The guy has a lot to gain by shutting his mouth and playing as hard as he can.  And if he still sucks behind our line then at least it will motivate Maroney.