Author Topic: "Without Bias"  (Read 20626 times)

Re: "Without Bias"
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
this guy tribble is a joke saying that he was the mature one in the room because he called the police, but from what I understand he is the one that supplied the coke....

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

[dang]~

rip~

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Red Auerbach- "I schemed for three years to get Lenny Bias."

Ugh. This is an excellent piece, but I honestly don't know if I enjoy it. This is just so sad.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
this guy tribble is a joke saying that he was the mature one in the room because he called the police, but from what I understand he is the one that supplied the coke....

no body held a gat to bias head and made him do a line..

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 08:43:01 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

no body held a gat to bias head and made him do a line..
no I understand that, but for this guy Tribble to say he is mature because he called the police is pretty ridiculous.

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 08:44:33 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
im watchin now..sum kat makin it look like murder?..

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2009, 08:46:54 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i jus hope young  men tryin to get head with they skillz not follow down this road...

this was a very talented brotha who made a deadly choice..

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2009, 08:48:32 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Thumper of the BASS!
i hate lookin at 1 hour doc's on what happend...the only person who could tell us what went down that night is gone~

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I watched about 5 minutes, and had to turn it off.  Just painful.

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2009, 09:29:51 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I watched about 5 minutes, and had to turn it off.  Just painful.

Well, if it makes you feel better, you can take consolation in the fact that had Len Bias lived, we likely wouldn't have the team we have now.

Still, had he lived, the '86-87 team might've actually gone 82-0...

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2009, 09:43:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
About 20 minutes in..

God, this is brutal.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
great documentary, albeit painful. the worst part is, that coke was insanely pure if i remember correctly. if it wasn't, i have to imagine bias would not have died. though, as tragic as his death was (and his brother's - so senseless), there was a lot of good that came out of it. the innocence of coke use went away. unfortunately, congress also went nuts with mandatory minimum sentencing soon after (and almost certainly somewhat linked to the story - i am glad the documentary mentioned that).

« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »

Offline mattmc33

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • So what if we don't win 73 - the ring's the thing
Back in 1991, I became friends with Dwayne McClain, who some would remember was the leading scorer in the 1985 NCAA Championship game for Villanova when they beat Georgetown. Dwayne had come down to Sydney to play pro ball (and wound up being called at the time "the Michael Jordan of Australia"). He did a tremendous amount of good for the league down here.

Anyway, I asked Dwayne about Len, and what type of player he was. Dwayne sighed and said "he was a cross between Dominique Wilkins and Michael Jordan. The guy was absolutely phenomenal. He would block hook shots, skyhooks, you name it and have his hand ABOVE THE BACKBOARD when he threw shots out. Offensively, he could do it all - run, dunk, shoot, pass, you name it. Had he lived, he could have turned into the greatest player of all time - no lie".

Even so many years back, I still remember hearing the news of Bias' death and feeling absolutely sick to my stomach. Here we were, just coming off the greatest season by any team in NBA history, with the best player in the world (who at the time was called the best ever), we draft a kid who was potentially the next great one, who would be that bridge to the future and take us to more titles, and within 24 hours everything changed.

It's taken the franchise more than 20 years to recover from the events of that day in 1986 - thank God we eventually got Danny and Doc and a fantastic ownership group to make the KG and Ray trades happen and we have now reclaimed our rightful place as one of the NBA's marquee teams.

But still, I wonder what might have been. Len Bias was potentially a once in a lifetime ballplayer and could have wound up being Larry to Michael Jordan's Magic, the one guy MJ never had in his career - a genuine competitor and rival at the same level he was.

Under the circumstances, it's maybe one of the most tragic stories in sports history.
"There will never, ever, be...another Larry Bird" - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson, Larry Bird Retirement Ceremony, Boston Garden

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:33 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Any way to watch this online?

« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2009, 05:24:57 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
i think they're playing it again tonight on one of the ESPN stations.