Author Topic: "Without Bias"  (Read 20617 times)

Re: "Without Bias"
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 12:47:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Get drafted by the world champs and blow coke up your nose, really intelligent....

Drug abuse, then and now, affects people of every race, age and creed ... intelligence or social status has nothing to do with it. He made a mistake, like all of us do from time-to-time ... unfortunately that mistake took his life. RIP, Len.
Absolutely true. Remember this was 1986 before the advent of the internet, before the advent of 157 different cable channels with information about everything possible. This was the beginning of Reagan's ridiculous "Just Say No" campaign of fighting drugs rather than education of the problems in the schools. And this was the beginning of the crack cocaine era in the urban areas of America. Tons of crack overdoses were attributed to cocaine powder overdoses at the time because the medical community hadn't kept up with the new forms of drugs hitting the streets.

Drug use and abuse is a horrible thing and should never be made light of. What happened to Lenny and maybe others(you think who you want to think I'm referring to, I'll leave it at that) are tragedies and shouldn't be the brunt of jokes or poor taste comments. Bias' story and many other more personal ones of that era still hit too close to home for many a Celtic and basketball fan.

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 12:51:30 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Get drafted by the world champs and blow coke up your nose, really intelligent....

Drug abuse, then and now, affects people of every race, age and creed ... intelligence or social status has nothing to do with it. He made a mistake, like all of us do from time-to-time ... unfortunately that mistake took his life. RIP, Len.
Absolutely true. Remember this was 1986 before the advent of the internet, before the advent of 157 different cable channels with information about everything possible. This was the beginning of Reagan's ridiculous "Just Say No" campaign of fighting drugs rather than education of the problems in the schools. And this was the beginning of the crack cocaine era in the urban areas of America. Tons of crack overdoses were attributed to cocaine powder overdoses at the time because the medical community hadn't kept up with the new forms of drugs hitting the streets.

Drug use and abuse is a horrible thing and should never be made light of. What happened to Lenny and maybe others(you think who you want to think I'm referring to, I'll leave it at that) are tragedies and shouldn't be the brunt of jokes or poor taste comments. Bias' story and many other more personal ones of that era still hit too close to home for many a Celtic and basketball fan.

very well put Nick
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 12:52:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Was coke considered an issue with Hank G's death?   
It was never said publicly but behind the scenes, questions were raised, much like in Reggie's death. Bo Kimble swore Gathers never did but both guys were from North Philly and some from that area had different stories that were squashed fast.

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 07:44:36 AM »

Offline TheGreenGoblin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 27
Saw the screening in DC about 5 weeks ago and wrote a brief review of the film. http://www.chocolatecityweb.com/2009/09/without-bias.html. Just my opinions on the film, nothing more. I live in MD, have been a Celtics fan all my life, used to spend my last dime to see Len & the Terps play at Cole Field House and I went to school with Jay Bias who died tragically as well.

If nothing else, just hearing the account from Brian Tribble will sort of give you goosebumps.  A lotta folks blame Brian Tribble for what happened that night, but the film clears a lot of stuff up. I have new respect for Tribble as a stand up dude. He was there on the night of the screeing and participated in a Q&A session after the screening. Cat was straightforward when folks asked direct questions relating to issues of Len's death. Check this film out. It gives a lot of clarity of what really occurred.

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 08:22:08 AM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11831
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
There is also a very good book out on Bias and his death:  Never Too Young to Die: The Death of Len Bias by Lewis Cole.

I was so excited about the Celtics getting Bias. And I remember hearing the news on the radio.  It took my breath away and my first thought was that it had to be a mistake.  And then I cried.  I still get those very sad feelings every year around draft time.   

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 08:24:16 AM »

Offline TheGreenGoblin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 27
30 For 30: Without Bias - Last Moments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt6zXuYNncQ

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2009, 09:07:21 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I never watched Bias play but I remember asking a good friend who did and he said he played like "a strong Dominique Wilkins". Had he been a Celtic and Bill Walton remained healthy that C's team would surely have gone down as the best NBA team ever!

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Just say no campaign was used in conjunction with educating youth about the dangers of drugs.  If Len had "just said no" that night, we would be talking about his induction in the Hall of Fame today rather than this sordid tale.

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2009, 09:34:31 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've been extremely impressed with the 30/30 series so far.  I thought both the USFL one and the Ali-Holmes one, in particular, were great television.

This upcoming Bias one is going to be tough to watch because of the Boston connection and the sadness and anger that it'll generate inside of me.  Lot of frustration with what happened.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2009, 10:24:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Just say no campaign was used in conjunction with educating youth about the dangers of drugs.  If Len had "just said no" that night, we would be talking about his induction in the Hall of Fame today rather than this sordid tale.
The "Just Say No" campaign was an ill conceived, stupidly run, lacking in educational substance campaign that tried to use as little possible money as possible to fight drug use in the inner cities. It never addressed the real horrors of drug addiction or the real overall effects such things could have on a person's psyche, body, finances, relationships, or offspring.

Most of the money for fighting drug abuse under this campaign went into overly simplistic answers in a vast advertising campaign that appeared more concerned with recreational drug use in suburban areas and failed to address the abusive drug use of the inner cities with more hardcore drugs. The money spent would have been better served addressing heroin, crack, and cocaine and ecstasy that might have helped slow the spread of AIDS but the Reagan and Bush I admins didn't want to think about some of the more directly related ways of fighting drug use that became prevalent under Clinton and Bush II.

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2009, 11:10:12 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

The "Just Say No" campaign was an ill conceived, stupidly run, lacking in educational substance campaign that tried to use as little possible money as possible to fight drug use in the inner cities. It never addressed the real horrors of drug addiction or the real overall effects such things could have on a person's psyche, body, finances, relationships, or offspring.

Most of the money for fighting drug abuse under this campaign went into overly simplistic answers in a vast advertising campaign that appeared more concerned with recreational drug use in suburban areas and failed to address the abusive drug use of the inner cities with more hardcore drugs. The money spent would have been better served addressing heroin, crack, and cocaine and ecstasy that might have helped slow the spread of AIDS but the Reagan and Bush I admins didn't want to think about some of the more directly related ways of fighting drug use that became prevalent under Clinton and Bush II.

You are turning an individual tragedy into a polemic against conservative politics.  Let it rest, Nick.  Are you suggesting Nancy Reagan was responsible for Len Bias' death? I certainly hope not.

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2009, 11:22:03 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Footey, I made one comment about what I thought was a failed campaign during the Len Bias era. Here it is:

My entire body of the post was just discussing that during a very different time, when things were very different than they are today(and illustrating how they were different), it was unduly cruel to criticize Bias' actions. Things were different. The amount of knowledge of such things were different.

It is you who took exception to my one innocuous comment of that campaign that has taken this into politics. Sorry if I don't agree with your interpretation of what happened back then. I thought Reagan a great president and voted for him twice. I do think that particular campaign was a failure and it has nothing to do with my political view of things. Just what I lived through and experienced and remember.

I didn't started a polemic against conservative politics. I never blamed Nancy Reagan for Bias' death. I said the "Just Say No" campaign was ridiculous and stuck to my guns after your defense of an utterly failed attempted at curbing drug use in America.

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
OK, Nick, I will let it go. I exaggerated.  Ironic, you voted for Reagan twice, I voted against him twice, and you are attacking his policy and I am defending it.  Pretty funny.

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2009, 12:43:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
OK, Nick, I will let it go. I exaggerated.  Ironic, you voted for Reagan twice, I voted against him twice, and you are attacking his policy and I am defending it.  Pretty funny.

You voted for Carter and Mondale. And admit to it. Congrats footey, that takes balls. TP for that and another for the conversation

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 12:54:49 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I've been extremely impressed with the 30/30 series so far.  I thought both the USFL one and the Ali-Holmes one, in particular, were great television.

This upcoming Bias one is going to be tough to watch because of the Boston connection and the sadness and anger that it'll generate inside of me.  Lot of frustration with what happened.

I recorded both of those episodes, but have yet to see them. I've seen the other two though (Gretzky trade to LA, and the Baltimore Colts Marching Band), and I thought both were quite good.

Len Bias may be the greatest cautionary tale concerning the dangers of casual drug use. Growing up in the 1980s, anytime I heard about cocaine, I immediately thought about him.

A very sad story, and yet I feel compelled to watch this week's episode. Like IP, I expect to be saddened, angered, and frustrated.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague