Author Topic: Modern Family (TV Show)  (Read 11112 times)

Re: Modern Family (TV Show)
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 11:36:54 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I am really not sure who is going to replace Micheal Scott. Really sad he is leaving. I do think Micheal And Holly are going to go away with each other and not sure who is going to be the new manager.

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 12:28:55 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Great show. Julie Bowen is a milf.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 02:23:53 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I can`t say i share the sentiments about this show. Not that it`s bad but i don`t find it that funny Anyway my contribution to this thread is a little off topic

It's a great show. It's even funnier because I have a lot of Colombian friends who are all exactly like Sophia Vergara

Exactly like Vergara ?!!??!?!?

I want to meet your friends :D :D :D

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 09:30:04 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm guessing you guys don't like the Office??? Also how many seasons have there been of Modern Family.
I love the Office. I put it in my top 20 shows. I just can't watch it much any more because it became a cartoonish caricature of itself.

For example.    Michael buys a house he can't afford because the real estate agent is hot.....very funny.

Michael gets excited because he finds a treasure map in a Long John Silver dumpster.  Dwight insists he has a phd in treasure maps and the map is authentic. Jim looks in the camera......very funny if this happens once a year. Not funny if it happens every week.

See the difference?  This is where we are with this show now. They created a situation very difficult to get out of. They try to top themselves every week. They should use the relationships to get back to reality. If we love Michael let him have some success.  

The Simpsons went through the same thing and it's not as good now.  Homer used to have problems like Mo wanting to kick him off the bowling team so he buys everyone donuts, but eats them all and has to see Dr. Nick who prescribes surgery Homer can't afford. Real life problem.  

Now Homer needs a second job so he becomes a train conductor and hires Barney to do security and ticket punching. But he can't get the train anywhere on time and gets drunk on the job so Barney has to do the conducting and steals the job.  Meanwhile Lisa gets into a private school in Japan but can't handle it because they have meat at every meal.  Decides to come back to 2nd grade in Springfield. Marge goes shopping with Maggie. Bart functions as wise cracking Greek chorus.

See? See the difference?

The Simpsons started all this. Now a lot of its children like American Dad and South Park are going through the same thing.

We need to get back to real stuff like Newhart and Modern Family and Taxi and whatnot.

See. Outsourced. Great show. Real stuff. If they become an Indian version of the Office it will be all over.

Maybe I should have been a tv writer. I know one and he talks about this stuff if you ask him.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:48:55 AM by eja117 »

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
It's pretty funny that half of the Modern Family thread has to do with The Office.

But I'll add my opinion.  I think it's one of the funniest shows going right now.  I love all the uncomfortable misunderstandings that happen week to week, and I love all the different personalities on the show.  My favorite character would be either Phil or Cam.

Either way, I've never seen an episode where I didn't crack up laughing at least once...usually multiple times.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm guessing you guys don't like the Office??? Also how many seasons have there been of Modern Family.
I love the Office. I put it in my top 20 shows. I just can't watch it much any more because it became a cartoonish caricature of itself.

For example.    Michael buys a house he can't afford because the real estate agent is hot.....very funny.

Michael gets excited because he finds a treasure map in a Long John Silver dumpster.  Dwight insists he has a phd in treasure maps and the map is authentic. Jim looks in the camera......very funny if this happens once a year. Not funny if it happens every week.

See the difference?  This is where we are with this show now. They created a situation very difficult to get out of. They try to top themselves every week. They should use the relationships to get back to reality. If we love Michael let him have some success. 

The Simpsons went through the same thing and it's not as good now.  Homer used to have problems like Mo wanting to kick him off the bowling team so he buys everyone donuts, but eats them all and has to see Dr. Nick who prescribes sugary Homer can't afford. Real life problem. 

Now Homer needs a second job so he becomes a train conductor and hires Barney to do security and ticket punching. But he can't get the train anywhere on time and gets drunk on the job so Barney has to do the conducting and steals the job.  Meanwhile Lisa gets into a private school in Japan but can't handle it because they have meat at every meal.  Decides to come back to 2nd grade in Springfield. Marge goes shopping with Maggie. Bart functions as wise cracking Greek chorus.

See? See the difference?

The Simpsons started all this. Now a lot of its children like American Dad and South Park are going through the same thing.

We need to get back to real stuff like Newhart and Modern Family and Taxi and whatnot.

See. Outsourced. Great show. Real stuff. If they become an Indian version of the Office it will be all over.

Maybe I should have been a tv writer. I know one and he talks about this stuff if you ask him.

you raise good points. but I think it has to do with the life expectancy of a tv show, even a good one. For example, I really enjoyed Friday Night Lights. But by the end of the 3d season, you could just feel the characters were running their course, and they had to ship them off. Sort of like high school. The 4th season tries to shake things up by switching high schools and a lot of the original characters are gone, replaced by new ones whom I am less interested in.  This happens to every tv show (the jumping the shark syndrome).  That 70's show started off real funny, but after a couple of seasons just did not know where to go. (Hey, the 70's lasted 10 years, and had 3 distinct phases: carry over of the 60's, the pure 70's (epitomized by the early popularity of Elton John) and the disco phase, which kicked in around 1976 with SNF). 

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 01:18:08 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 572
A) Modern Family, without a doubt one of the funniest shows on TV, network or cable. Have it set to series record so as to not even take a chance of missing it.

B) The Office, sorry but not nearly as funny as it used to be. Had to happen. Happens to most shows after too many seasons. In my opinion way too much Michael and not enought of the rest of the crew, Stanley, Kevin, Meredith, etc. I just have to look at Kevin and I laugh out loud.

C) As for Michael's replacement, apprently Will Ferrell has signed on for 4 episodes, so who knows, maybe he'll stick around. Not sure how that will work, but I'm not a big Will Ferrell fan. I did find him pritty funny as the guy who owned the car dealership on Eastbound and Down. Which is another really funny show, but that's a whole nother show.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
HA!

Shelly Long is the mom.   And her boyfriend is Matt Dillon, who was the blonde mom's high school boyfriend!  Excellent

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
she is a wonderful actress

she deserves an award or sumthin...

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
This show miiiiiiiiigghhhhtt ssslllloooooooowwwwllly be jumping the shark. Maybe

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 11:28:44 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Phil Dunphy's character is amazing.  I'm glad they seemed to realize this and started to involve him heavily.

I'm psyched for season 3.  I'm starting to get sick of Gloria casted in all these commericials lately though with her over the top accent.  Anyone else?  I mean, I guess it's not that over the top if you know any recently immigrated Colombians, but I doubt this woman has truly spent less than 5 years in this country.  Maybe I should try to youtube interviews to find out for sure.

Regarding the office, great fake episodes, guys!  They had me laughing.  I am hoping so badly that Will Arnett takes over for Michael, but I don't see it happening.  I could totally see a GOB-like manager (Arrested Development) transitioning seemlessly for Michael Scott.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 09:29:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I cannot BeLIEVE that Modern Family was cancelled tonight in order to give us a show staring two clowns. I mean clowns in 2012? I mean why not French mimes? I coulda been watching Sophia Veraga pretending to be pregnant and those gay guys adopting a cat.

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Well those clowns weren't very funny.