Author Topic: Bill Simmons' book: are you excited?  (Read 12086 times)

Re: Bill Simmons' book: are you excited?
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I loved Simmons for the longest time because of the fact that i could really relate to him. It was not that he was writing from the perspective of a fan, but that he was writing from the perspective of a Boston fan. Now that he is not immersed in Boston sports anymore, we are not on the same page with 80% of his opinions on Boston sports.

If you are not living here, I dont care how far we have come in the informatino age, you lose a sense of what it feels like day in and day out with these teams.

He is still a very entertaining writer and I will probably pick his book up. It will be interesting to see what his tone will be like but I am afraid I will be let down.

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2009, 01:37:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Bill used to be a very funny guy and very unique. Now, I find most of his stuff old and reused. There's only so much "Patrick Ewing" theories or stories about his dad, or 90210, Shawshank, or other rehashed analogy that I can take after a while.

He is at his best in doing his various lists, IMHO. The list of tradeable players, the list of contenders or power rankings, that kind of stuff. I enjoy him in those venues now, but I'm not sure I could stomach 700 pages of his once uniuque but now very tired view of the NBA.

« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2009, 02:17:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i don't read books, but I am strongly considering buying it at some point.  I love Simmons.

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2009, 06:04:16 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Has anyone started reading the book?

I did, and I'm really loving it so far (three chapters into it). I was afraid I would get bored by his stories about the old era, Russell, Bird and cie, but I was just amazed and thrilled by these chapters. I learned a lot about this era and these players, and I loved the way Simmons debunked the "Wilt Chamberlain is the greatest player ever" myth while showing Russell was the man.

I mean, I've never seen games from this era, but Simmons' arguments convinced me. Plus, his writing style is as enjoyable as always, and his footnotes - as some excerpts - are absolutely hilarious. I highly recommend this book. My only disappointment is that I miss a few references here and there.

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Simmons is gonna be on WEEI during the 9 oclock hour with Dennis and Callahan.  I cant wait.  They already said there are going to ask him about his statement that Durant is going to be better than Lebron
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2009, 08:17:19 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Anyone going to Borders today for the signing?  I'm still debating whether to go or not, I don't want to stand there for hours, I just want to get in and out (granted I'm only 2 T stops down).

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2009, 03:11:31 PM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Has anyone started reading the book?

I did, and I'm really loving it so far (three chapters into it). I was afraid I would get bored by his stories about the old era, Russell, Bird and cie, but I was just amazed and thrilled by these chapters. I learned a lot about this era and these players, and I loved the way Simmons debunked the "Wilt Chamberlain is the greatest player ever" myth while showing Russell was the man.

I mean, I've never seen games from this era, but Simmons' arguments convinced me. Plus, his writing style is as enjoyable as always, and his footnotes - as some excerpts - are absolutely hilarious. I highly recommend this book. My only disappointment is that I miss a few references here and there.

I'll receive it by Tuesday but I know what you mean. His knowledge never ceases to amaze me.

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I like his articles, but I can't imagine a book of the stuff.

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Anybody go to his book signing today?

He's out here in Chicago on Monday but I have this CPA review class that night and really shouldn't skip it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team