Author Topic: Bill Simmons' book: are you excited?  (Read 12122 times)

Re: Bill Simmons' book: are you excited?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 10:00:44 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Ordered it last month and I can't wait for it to arrive.  Like him or not, when he writes about the NBA and basketball in general, it always makes me feel more informed/entertained.  He's unique and I enjoy that.  I'm almost done Seth Davis' book about Magic & Bird during their NCAA title run... it's pretty good, nothing great though.

I'm also anticipating Jackie MacMullan's book about Bird & Magic.  That one seems like another great one.

Oh I'll be one of the first to buy this book.  Can't wait.  The NBA without the teen wolf and shawshank analogies will be right up my alley.  And by someone who actually seems to understand the game. 

I dunno, I do think that Simmons understands alot about the game.  But his job is also that he is supposed to entertain.  Macmullan is mainly their to inform.  I fined the combo of knowledge and entertainment that Bill provides to be a really good style. 

Some people misunderstand having an opinion with having an informed opinion.  Simmons falls in the first category to me.  I've grown tired of lame jokes over time.  Let me know how Teen Wolf would have done if he was real and part of the NBA.
You can diagree with Simmons and his opinions, but he obviously pays a lot of attention to the NBA. I don't think you can fairly call him "uninformed".

And he is also in constant contact with alot of people that follow the NBA quite closely.  Has very well informed guests on his Podcasts alot, as well as actually interacts with players/owners.  And he has clippers season tickets, that has got to be worth something.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67
There's nothing wrong with being extremely entertained. i think it'll be great.

Anyone going to the book signing/reading? Prudential Center B&N at 12:30 this Friday.

Agreed on that assessment, which is why I enjoy Simmons (mostly).  If for nothing else, he gets your attention.  There's plenty of blah writers out there to read if you just want to be informed.

I'm going to try to get to the signing later on, then onto the game against the Bulls.

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 10:05:34 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Ordered it last month and I can't wait for it to arrive.  Like him or not, when he writes about the NBA and basketball in general, it always makes me feel more informed/entertained.  He's unique and I enjoy that.  I'm almost done Seth Davis' book about Magic & Bird during their NCAA title run... it's pretty good, nothing great though.

I'm also anticipating Jackie MacMullan's book about Bird & Magic.  That one seems like another great one.

Oh I'll be one of the first to buy this book.  Can't wait.  The NBA without the teen wolf and shawshank analogies will be right up my alley.  And by someone who actually seems to understand the game. 

I dunno, I do think that Simmons understands alot about the game.  But his job is also that he is supposed to entertain.  Macmullan is mainly their to inform.  I fined the combo of knowledge and entertainment that Bill provides to be a really good style. 

Some people misunderstand having an opinion with having an informed opinion.  Simmons falls in the first category to me.  I've grown tired of lame jokes over time.  Let me know how Teen Wolf would have done if he was real and part of the NBA.
You can diagree with Simmons and his opinions, but he obviously pays a lot of attention to the NBA. I don't think you can fairly call him "uninformed".

I think our overall disagreement is with the term informed.  But to each his own.  Like I said not my thing.  What would be the point if we all agreed?  You guys should post all the wacky analogies that he comes up with.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 10:08:13 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

And he is also in constant contact with alot of people that follow the NBA quite closely.  Has very well informed guests on his Podcasts alot, as well as actually interacts with players/owners.  And he has clippers season tickets, that has got to be worth something.

Those same clippers were going to be the next powerhouse of the NBA. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 10:09:23 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Probably would have been if EB hadnt gone to the sixers
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 10:10:08 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think our overall disagreement is with the term informed.  But to each his own.  Like I said not my thing.  What would be the point if we all agreed?  You guys should post all the wacky analogies that he comes up with.
Informed isn't really a fuzzy term you can wiggle with Birdbrain.

Informed: having or prepared with information or knowledge; apprised

I think you cannot argue that Bill Simmons does not pay attention to the NBA, or prepare for his columns on the NBA. He wrote a 700 page book on it!

You don't like his style, I get that. But calling him uninformed is to imply that he doesn't have a lot of knoweldge on the NBA. Which is blatantly false.

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 10:11:07 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

No they never had close to enough talent to be a powerhouse of course you can blame that on coaching as per Simmons....
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 10:12:19 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

I think you cannot argue that Bill Simmons does not pay attention to the NBA, or prepare for his columns on the NBA. He wrote a 700 page book on it!

You don't like his style, I get that. But calling him uninformed is to imply that he doesn't have a lot of knoweldge on the NBA. Which is blatantly false.

Informed to me means actually understanding the information you have. 

Using an analogy ( simmons ) it's like some one cramming for a test and getting a good score opposed to someone studying and understanding the concepts and getting a good score on the test.  You could say they are both informed I won't.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 10:13:48 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

No they never had close to enough talent to be a powerhouse of course you can blame that on coaching as per Simmons....

Davis
Gordon
Thornton
Brand
Kaman

Your right that would have been a pretty bad starting 5.

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2009, 10:17:01 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Using an analogy ( simmons ) it's like some one cramming for a test and getting a good score opposed to someone studying and understanding the concepts and getting a good score on the test.  You could say they are both informed I won't.

Actually I would saying using an analogy is like comprehending the material and applying it to real life which I would say is the best test of understanding. 

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

*shrug* You can choose to attach additional meanings to the word if you'd like. That doesn't make it an accurate label for him.

You don't like Simmons, I get it.

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2009, 10:23:14 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

Davis
Gordon
Thornton
Brand
Kaman

Your right that would have been a pretty bad starting 5.

I bet they are really good on NBA2K. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

Actually I would saying using an analogy is like comprehending the material and applying it to real life which I would say is the best test of understanding. 

Agreed his application of material has a rating of 10 on scale of 100.  Using an NBA2K analogy.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I didn't know about his book until reading about it here in this thread on CB.  Thank you CB!  I might read it, depending on the reviews you guys give it.  It is not high on my reading list, but that is only because I read a lot and have a bunch of other books on the list....
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 11:12:53 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Bought it from Amazon a while ago, just waiting for it to ship.  If the book gets here by Friday I may go to the signing.