Author Topic: Bill Simmons' book: are you excited?  (Read 12116 times)

Bill Simmons' book: are you excited?
« on: October 26, 2009, 08:33:18 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
Just ordered "The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy" at Amazon.

It can be one of the best basketball books ever, IMO. The guy's just unique in his style and knowledge (more than 700 pages!)

Anyone else buying it?

Re: Bill Simmons' book: are you excited?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:36:33 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Im definitely buying it.  I cant wait.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 08:36:57 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I read a couple of the excerpts on Simmons' page, and it definitely got me excited about this book.  I am not sure if I can handle his style for 700 pages...but I am sure it will at least be good in short spurts.  

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 08:42:28 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I read a couple of the excerpts on Simmons' page, and it definitely got me excited about this book.  I am not sure if I can handle his style for 700 pages...but I am sure it will at least be good in short spurts.  

Agreed its going to be a lengthy read.  for me maybe a couple of chapters a night so it seems like a few stories every day.  But no extended Harry Potter 5 hour reading sessions. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I saw this on the Amazon Review. 

Throw in pages of nearly-insane statistical breakdowns (including a projected boxscore from the movie Teen Wolf), and it's easy to see why fans of all levels should clear shelf space for this instant classic.  --Dave Callanan

I cant believe he really projected a boxscore from Teen Wolf.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Not in the least.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I enjoy his columns and podcasts, so I'll be picking up this book.

700 pages seems ridiculous though, but I'm sure I'll enjoy enough of it to make it worth a purchase.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »

Offline MrTripleDouble10

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 67
Ordered it last month and I can't wait for it to arrive.  Like him or not, when he writes about the NBA and basketball in general, it always makes me feel more informed/entertained.  He's unique and I enjoy that.  I'm almost done Seth Davis' book about Magic & Bird during their NCAA title run... it's pretty good, nothing great though.

I'm also anticipating Jackie MacMullan's book about Bird & Magic.  That one seems like another great one.

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'll read it.  700 Simmons pages is like 250 pages by someone else.  Nobody is better at taking one thing and comparing other totally different things to it.  And the analogies and comparisons are usually great.  He sees great details in basic things.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:41:08 AM »

Offline Not Walkin Thru

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 1
I will.  I need something to fill the many new hours I have since I dumped Jughead and Justin's useless podcast.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
Ordered it last month and I can't wait for it to arrive.  Like him or not, when he writes about the NBA and basketball in general, it always makes me feel more informed/entertained.  He's unique and I enjoy that.  I'm almost done Seth Davis' book about Magic & Bird during their NCAA title run... it's pretty good, nothing great though.

I'm also anticipating Jackie MacMullan's book about Bird & Magic.  That one seems like another great one.

Oh I'll be one of the first to buy this book.  Can't wait.  The NBA without the teen wolf and shawshank analogies will be right up my alley.  And by someone who actually seems to understand the game. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 09:53:06 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Oh I'll be one of the first to buy this book.  Can't wait.  The NBA without the teen wolf and shawshank analogies will be right up my alley.  And by someone who actually seems to understand the game. 

I dunno, I do think that Simmons understands alot about the game.  But his job is also that he is supposed to entertain.  Macmullan is mainly their to inform.  I fined the combo of knowledge and entertainment that Bill provides to be a really good style. 

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 09:55:26 AM »

Offline GKC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
  • !@#$%
There's nothing wrong with being extremely entertained. i think it'll be great.

Anyone going to the book signing/reading? Prudential Center B&N at 12:30 this Friday.
[img width= height= alt=]http://www.thegarz.net/Core/lucky.jpg[/img]

Never Forget

"Just because I stand over you doesn't mean you understand me" - Qwel

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 09:57:28 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff

I dunno, I do think that Simmons understands alot about the game.  But his job is also that he is supposed to entertain.  Macmullan is mainly their to inform.  I fined the combo of knowledge and entertainment that Bill provides to be a really good style. 

Some people misunderstand having an opinion with having an informed opinion.  Simmons falls in the first category to me.  I've grown tired of lame jokes over time.  Let me know how Teen Wolf would have done if he was real and part of the NBA.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 09:58:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Some people misunderstand having an opinion with having an informed opinion.  Simmons falls in the first category to me.  I've grown tired of lame jokes over time.  Let me know how Teen Wolf would have done if he was real and part of the NBA.
You can diagree with Simmons and his opinions, but he obviously pays a lot of attention to the NBA. I don't think you can fairly call him "uninformed".